Sealing Floor Tile Grout, Yes or No?

Gravik

Established Member
My parents had tile in their last house. PITA. When they moved a few years ago they had hardwood everywhere. Much easier and looks better imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TxCobra76

Established Member
Brutal metal your right lots of people use vinegar to clean with. It works because of the acidity of it. No sealer no problems but if you don't stay on top of cleaning, the grout will get grungy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Brutal metal your right lots of people use vinegar to clean with. It works because of the acidity of it. No sealer no problems but if you don't stay on top of cleaning, the grout will get grungy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That's why you gotta be in socks before you get through my door, haha...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm think of getting this cleaning brush at Amazon. Any use it, or one similar? It has a 4.8 out of 5.0 rating (90% 5-star and 8% 4-star). https://www.amazon.com/Fuginator-Gr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PKN7KKJVCSS3Z9SHNQRX

41g-P6ctCrL._SL500_AC_SS100_.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Never tried that Bob. I have a older very stiff narrow nylon brush that worked great. Just make sure that's wide enough to catch the whole joint.

DJinAC

The Escape Pod
Established Member
Would you guys suggest sealing the grout for shower wall tile. I am getting ready to tile the shower walls and beings this question cam up about floors i was wondering if I had to seal the shower wall grout. I have the wonder-board backer up. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance,
DJ

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Never tried that Bob. I have a older very stiff narrow nylon brush that worked great. Just make sure that's wide enough to catch the whole joint.
I was thinking that very thing, Brad. I think that Home Depot brush is wide enough but I'll check first. Definitely looks to be a better/faster cleaning tool than the Mr. Clean pad we used on a small area in the kitchen.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Would you guys suggest sealing the grout for shower wall tile. I am getting ready to tile the shower walls and beings this question cam up about floors i was wondering if I had to seal the shower wall grout. I have the wonder-board backer up. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance,
DJ

I would seal it but you don't have to. If you are not using a sealer additive in the grout mix then just brush the sealer onto the grout. Its always more time consuming to brush sealer on shower tile grout lines than just putting a sealer additive in the grout. I have done it both ways. Just be careful what grout you use on the shower walls also. Its recommended if the grout line is 1/8" or smaller an unsanded grout should be used. You don't have to but with sanded grout its much harder to get the grout into small joints that size. Also unsanded grout should never be used on showers that have tiles on the floor. Its only used on walls. Also sanded grout is coarse and you need to be careful with shower tiles that could be scuffed. Besides that a piece of cake.....lol.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Well, grouts all sealed (2 coats) and it looks great. It didn't change the color either. I spilled some water in the kitchen last night and the water just beads up on the grout. Happy, but it's a job.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
I have used the tilelab grout cleaner before, with good success. Steam mop keeps most of the maintenance easy, but I recently bought the tilelab grout cleaner to attempt to clean some grout in an older shower.

Users who are viewing this thread