Seatbelt Locking like crazy

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
My seatbelt locks like crazy at low speeds in 2nd gear. It literally won’t let go of the lock and I’m pretty much pinned to the seat. If I led back it will unlock and then immediately lock when I try to move forward a bit. Super annoying.

I’m wondering if my seatbelt mechanism is broke or if this is normal. Annoys me to no end.

I know they lock but mine is on steroids it seems.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My '03 Cobra occasionally did similar. But it never "hard" locked, or locked in a specific gear at low speed. I believe my old Ford did it occasionally, too. My fix was always just pull the seatbelt a couple of times and it would release. I think what I'm talking about is different from what you're experiencing.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
My '03 Cobra occasionally did similar. But it never "hard" locked, or locked in a specific gear at low speed. I believe my old Ford did it occasionally, too. My fix was always just pull the seatbelt a couple of times and it would release. I think what I'm talking about is different from what you're experiencing.
Yeah I try to do that but it instantly locks again. I should video it because it seems way too excessive to be normal. My 2001 GT locked too but never like this one. It’s only at lower speeds and in first or second gear. I’ll keep researching.

It’s been bothering me for a while but since I drove it yesterday, I was reminded how annoying it is and finally posted a thread on it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
For me I took it apart,there is a tilt lock ,I removed it. Never an issue after,,

Not suggesting you do it ,as I was kinda slammed about it .

I'm wondering if it is a position of this that's causing this issue.

I almost had to cut mine to get out. Not safe .

WidowrRacing

Established Member
A couple years ago my passenger seat belt wouldn’t retract properly and eventually did a hard lock.
I had to replace it with a new seat belt from Ford which took several weeks to arrive and stock was very low at that time.
Even with it removed from the car I still couldn’t get it to unlock before tossing it in the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread