Second trip to dealer for gear whine

gr850

Established Member
Finally got off my duff to take car back in for the gear whine. Last year they replaced the ring and pinion. Good for 200 miles then whine came back and progressively got worse. The day I dropped it off (sunday, keys in lock box) I was walking up the driveway and with a look at the rear from a distance I noticed that the right rear had more neg camber than the left which appeared to be zero I didn't have time to put on a lift to take measurements but I think an axle housing tube is tweaked a couple degrees. When I first got the car I had a loud pop from the rear on a semi hard launch.

Been at the dealer for a week now. I have no intention of bugging them about it. Here's to hoping for a new axle assy...............2013/14 torsion unit would be nice. Yeh not likely. really don't care. I just want to enjoy a 70 mph ride without my ears splitting.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
There have been some doccumented cases of GT500's coming off the line with bent axles. There were a few people on here that had the entire rear end assembly replaced because of it.

AtlanticRJ

Established Member
There have been some doccumented cases of GT500's coming off the line with bent axles. There were a few people on here that had the entire rear end assembly replaced because of it.

This. Good luck man. Hope the stealership does right by you.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Finally got off my duff to take car back in for the gear whine. ...

gr850,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll look into it for you.

Ashley

gr850

Established Member
Louder exhaust should take care of your problem.

Running Borla S-types. Plenty loud. The one thing I like about Borla is no drone at cruising speed. Even if there was there is no covering up this whine. I love the car but I simply cannot take it on a road trip. dealer "so far" has been good.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really would recommend buying the FRPP G2 rear axle girdle cover.
I had the exact same experience.
The girdle plus a solid shim are the likely culprits in my opinion and what I am doing.
Dealer should allow you to add the cover for the cost (about 150)
Good luck.
-J

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mines been doing it since new. I took it into the dealership and had it documented; the service advisor said it was a characteristic of the car and to put some miles on it. My 4 year old car now has a whopping 7500 miles on it and it's gotten extremely worse. I have Kooks long tubes, 3" H-pipe and full 3" super snake exhaust and I can hear it OVER the exhaust at highway cruising speeds. I tried updating the differential cove to the newer version and put synthetic Amsoil gear oil on it with no change.
I don't think my axles are bent, my wheels appear to spin perfectly even.
I don't know if I should take it in or just fix it myself. I can't stand the idea of my car sitting at the dealership and being poked and prodded for 3 weeks while they figure out how to tell me it's normal again...

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah that sucks I jydt talked to my chassis shop Team Z who does the CJs and he said it's the 8.8 gears and they will only do them with a solid shim.
Sounds like you need a gear swap with solid shim.
I feel your pain, stainless Works had to edit the in car video they made with mine it was so bad :)
-J

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
Mine does it too even after a fluid change. Are you guys experiencing the whine on accel. or decal? Mine does it if I'm on the gas. I bought the car used with 1200 miles on it, now has 12.5k.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mine does it when I'm on the gas; cruising between 60-80 MPH is when it's the loudest. If I step out of the throttle completely it'll lower in volume, but it's still audible. If I just maintain speed / throttle it's screams.

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
FWIW it's worth I had a pinion seal replaced and the dealership over torqued everything when putting it back together and F'd the bearing and race up... and it had a bad whine afterward around highway speeds and got progressively worse over time

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine does it when I'm on the gas; cruising between 60-80 MPH is when it's the loudest. If I step out of the throttle completely it'll lower in volume, but it's still audible. If I just maintain speed / throttle it's screams.

Exactly what mine did.
I've had gears in all my Mustangs but the '04 Cobra and some had whine on DECEL, this was on light highway accel or maintaining speed, disappeared on lift-off/decal.
Its the gear back-lash---solid bushing and girdle IMO.
-J

Mokey

Established Member
Just got mine back, they replaced everything in the rear end except the housing and right axle shaft....everything.
All covered under my extended warranty:), took it in on Monday.
My exhaust did take care of the noise, need to update sig... Long tubes no cats, pypes super system. Use to kinda drown it out with windows down. It's silent now, love it.

Hope yours goes well

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Exactly what mine did.
I've had gears in all my Mustangs but the '04 Cobra and some had whine on DECEL, this was on light highway accel or maintaining speed, disappeared on lift-off/decal.
Its the gear back-lash---solid bushing and girdle IMO.
-J

Can gear back lash be adjusted under warranty? My 07 is the same way between 65-70mph, it drives me crazy. I don't want to waste my time if the dealer tells me its a 'normal' characteristic of the car.

Black Sex

Established Member
I just hate the thought of someone else driving my car without me :dw:. Is it wrong to set max rpm to 4k when taking it in for service? Last time mine was in that's what I did along with 70mph speed limiter. They didn't drive it anyway because I had clutch pedal pressure when I picked the car up.

gr850

Established Member
Well, picked up the car. Yet another ring and pinion swap. Confidence level not very high. 6th stills has slight whine. Granted way way better than before, so was first gear swap at first. Going to hurriedly put a few hundred miles on it to see if it returns. I still stand behind a tweaked housing and/or axle problem. Hope I'm wrong.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Once you really hammer it a few times, I am guessing the whine will return. Mine was worse when I had a solid bushing lca's and an alum drive shaft. I swapped to roush lca's and a CF drive shaft and that helped significantly by not transferring the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread