seeking 96-98 mustang experts

99L#411

Established Member
I need to speak with anyone who is VERY knowledgeable about 96-98 mustangs. specifically 98's. I have done a v6 to v8 swap twice now in the same car with the same problems. Please PM me with your number so that I may contact you and ask you some questions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

99L#411

Established Member
ok, the first time i swapped in an 98 gt motor with an auto and matching ecm. i took it to ford so they could get the keys to work with the ecm. they did. BUT the car would only run 30 secs to a minute, then die. the car starts right back up but then does the same thing. we can a wire from teh fuel pump through a relay to a constant hot off one of the coil packs. the car would run and drive but didnt have power up top. one day it started missing real bad then smoke started coming out the passenger side exhaust. I wanted it fixed right so we did another swap.

this time i got a 98 GT motor, new 3650, 5 speed ecm and matching ignition switch, 5 speed injector harness, pcm harness, tranny harness and swapped it all over. took it to ford to get it to communicate, finally it did. but same thing. the car wont run on its own without the hot wire from the pump.

The following parts have checked out ok:
fuel pump
inertia switch
under-hood fuel pump fuse
fuel pump relay located by the ecm

since the e-fan works and the car can be started and run at least for a few seconds, i assume the CCRM is fine.

The computer will throw a code saying its in some kind of theft mode, and when trying to scan the ecm using a tuner, it stops halfway and says it couldnt establish a connection, or teh connection was lost.

crazycarlo

Established Member
well the theft code could be the PATS code. And the computer might not be able to establish a connection cause there is a tune in the ecm or a chip on it. If I have my custom tune in my computer the ford code reader thing will not establish a connection. I have to go back and reinstall the factory tune.

99L#411

Established Member
there is no tune on the ecm. the 98 cluster does not have to match the ecm like the 99-04's do. The reason i know that is bc i put the Gt cluster in my car when it stll had all the v6 stuff in it and it ran fine. the THEFt light does not blink on the dash.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Errm, did you put in a GT CCRM??

The CCRM between the V6 and GT are different.

It also controls the fuel pump.

Edit...I've also done a few swaps myself. See sig.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
what year pcm are you using and what harnesses are you using
i know what your isssue is too, i have experienced it once before i just need more information to tell you how to correct it. pm me i probably wont make it back to this thread

Toasty

Established Member
ok, the first time i swapped in an 98 gt motor with an auto and matching ecm. i took it to ford so they could get the keys to work with the ecm. they did. BUT the car would only run 30 secs to a minute, then die. the car starts right back up but then does the same thing. we can a wire from teh fuel pump through a relay to a constant hot off one of the coil packs. the car would run and drive but didnt have power up top. one day it started missing real bad then smoke started coming out the passenger side exhaust. I wanted it fixed right so we did another swap.

this time i got a 98 GT motor, new 3650, 5 speed ecm and matching ignition switch, 5 speed injector harness, pcm harness, tranny harness and swapped it all over. took it to ford to get it to communicate, finally it did. but same thing. the car wont run on its own without the hot wire from the pump.

The following parts have checked out ok:
fuel pump
inertia switch
under-hood fuel pump fuse
fuel pump relay located by the ecm

since the e-fan works and the car can be started and run at least for a few seconds, i assume the CCRM is fine.

The computer will throw a code saying its in some kind of theft mode, and when trying to scan the ecm using a tuner, it stops halfway and says it couldnt establish a connection, or teh connection was lost.

Why not save your time and money and just guy a GT or a Cobra.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
wait...I'm confused...
You swapped a 98GT motor into your 6er and the car cuts out after 30 seconds....so you installed ANOTHER motor and trans? WHY would you go through all that?

mdoan

Established Member
wait...I'm confused...
You swapped a 98GT motor into your 6er and the car cuts out after 30 seconds....so you installed ANOTHER motor and trans? WHY would you go through all that?

Indeed. Although, if you got it from a scrapyard for cheap, I could see doing it for the tranny. Still, though... PITA

99L#411

Established Member
the reason for swapping in ANOTHER motor was bc cylinders 3 and 4 leaned out due to the computer thinking the car was in theft mode by having the fuel pump hot wired. So thats the reason for the second GT motor.

Users who are viewing this thread