Seismic surveyor (oil field)

RussianStang

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of you here work in the oil field. I used to be a seismic surveyor for almost 3 years and have some crazy experiences.

Would love to hear the craziest shit you guys ran into while working.

I got chased by a badger down a mountain for about mile in Craig, Colorado. Had to jump a barb wire fence and then into some strangers truck. Thank god he was there because that badger would of messed me up.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
You talking about ground stomping and logging for reserve estimation or logging tools in wellbores?

I'm a frac engineer. All the microseismic guys do is hang out in our van and browse the Chive. Seen a lot of crazy (and stupid) shit but I just got home from 18 hours on location and don't feel like writing out any stories right now

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
As I understand it Badgers are always pissed off at every other living thing on Earth. Its what they do, and they're good at it. Bears even try to avoid Badgers.

How did you manage to piss off a badger!?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ya know there a such things as big bore pistols right? Lol

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Easy... H2S

or when a rod shot out of a hydration unit and went through another truck

RussianStang

Established Member
Sadly we arent allowed to carry since its either private property or reserve land. Badgrs are damn mean man and it doesnt help that I suprised him.

I did the mapping and set up the locations for the drills or the vibes.

Jebadias

Established Member
I'm a Refinery Operator and the craziest is being 10' underneath a busted H2 line when it lit off. Apparently you could feel the shockwave a half mile away but I was too close to feel anything but the heat.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I used to work as an exploration geologist for an oil company in Houston. My job was to oversee and visit active drilling wells usually in the Kings Ranch area South of Corpus Christie. I don't do that any more.

So many stories I could tell...

On one well the tool pusher kept his Crown Victoria on blocks with a rock on the gas pedal so that he could rack up miles and get a new car.

On another well the driller had lost most of his right index finger in the spinning chain. Whenever a salesman drove up to the rig the driller would approach him with the stump of his finger jammed in his nose - looked like he was scratching the back of his brain. The salesman would always lose his composure and then the driller would run him off.

One day while they were circulating off bottom, one of the mud loggers went up the derrick to take pictures from the monkey bars. The driller started to lift the drill string a few feet, let it drop and jam on the brake. The whole rig would shudder and the derrick would sway. The mud logger was holding on for dear life and yelling for him to stop. He wouldn't stop and everyone was standing around looking up and laughing... until the mud logger started to piss on them from way up high. The floor hands got most of it because the driller was under a big umbrella. When the guy came down I thought there would be a fight, but instead the mud logger was told "boy you're all right" by the driller.

On a different well there was a mud logger from Michigan who had a lot of attitude and looked down on everyone. Nobody liked him. As a joke, the mud man went over to the gas trap before the shaker and held his butane lighter under the sample line. The gas spike freaked out the mud logger and he came running out of his trailer screaming. One of the roughnecks sprayed him with a water hose and everyone had a good laugh. The mud logger was a wimp and quit soon after.

That should be a good start.
:beer:

Last edited:

RussianStang

Established Member
Nice ^

Last year I working on this farmers property in the middle of the woods and the asshole had electric fences everywhere on his property (i guess they are very popular in PA). Strong enough to send you flying 5 feet back if you touch it. Well I got the worst of it when I was on his property. I had to climb over one of his fences (just barb wire) and right after i jumped it i trip on something and went falling forward. Landed on top of a low electric fence that hit me right in the chest that send me flying backwards on to the other barb wire fence behind me. Ended up getting cut pretty damn good and had to get picked up after that since I was having a hard time breathing and couldnt feel my left leg.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice ^

Last year I working on this farmers property in the middle of the woods and the asshole had electric fences everywhere on his property (i guess they are very popular in PA). Strong enough to send you flying 5 feet back if you touch it. Well I got the worst of it when I was on his property. I had to climb over one of his fences (just barb wire) and right after i jumped it i trip on something and went falling forward. Landed on top of a low electric fence that hit me right in the chest that send me flying backwards on to the other barb wire fence behind me. Ended up getting cut pretty damn good and had to get picked up after that since I was having a hard time breathing and couldnt feel my left leg.

:eek: Wow! That is something you wouldn't ever forget!

Users who are viewing this thread