Self Defense

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Heard a story (don't know how true it is) but to make long story short, guy goes over to his neighbors house to tell them to quiet down their party but he's carrying. The neighbors tell him to leave but he's arguing and ends up getting shot and killed by one of the home owner's friends. The neighbors were cleared because the guy was on their property with a weapon and they felt threatened enough to shoot and kill him.

Maybe someone has heard the full story and knows the state, I'm assuming Texas, but that was the gist of it. from the sound of it the guy wasn't looking to shoot anyone but I can see how he was in the wrong. For something like that he should have left the gun at home and let the police take care of the disturbance.

A fair response in public disputes I think is responding with force one step up what the other person is presenting. If you're confronted with deadly weapon like a knife or bat then you should be able to legally respond with a gun. I'm sure some states probably have this as laws but I don't know for sure. Every state should have the Castle law though.

Last edited:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Shit advice in this thread.

Find a lawyer or professional to educate you.

FWIW California has one of the best castle doctrine laws in the country.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
^^^ Absolutely terrible advice Mr. Evergreen. Who in their right mind would or should defend themsleves:rollseyes

The FACT is it does vary from state to state and you should educate yourself on your own states laws. But let me expand on the "Cali has some of the best Castle laws" statement. What you can do in Texas or Florida to defend yourself will get you a life term in KALIFORNIA. Some of the dumbest laws in the country where it comes to self defense are in Cali. Sorry man- no sale on that one!!

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Where does the line between self defense and assault get drawn. Let's
Say at a bar someone takes a swing at you, how badly do you have to beat the guy before its no longer self defense? Only asking because I have been in that situation before, where I'm sober and the other guy is drunk and stumbling.

In this case I'd say if the guy is drunk try to duck his swings and push him away. If he keeps coming try a gut punch and then walk away. If you can't do any of that and you end up hitting him and knocking him out then you might be in trouble because that's ag. assault and idk if the law will still be on your side as far as the self defense claim goes.

Beef Supreme

Established Member
As far as I'm concerned, if I have a reasonable fear for my safety (or worse, my life) I will use escalation of force appropriate for the situation. I've concealed carried in Va for 7 years, and have never had to touch it. I've encountered two situations with aggressors. One I pushed past me and moved away from the situation. The other hit me on the side of the head. I body slammed him, and moved away. He was disoriented long enough for security to move him away. In the end with whatever you do, cover your own ass.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I had a guy break into my apartment when I was in college. All I had was a knife that I grabbed off of my night stand but I ran into the living room with that and told him what I planned to do if he tried anything or didn't leave. Luckily I caught him off-guard and out he went.

I really wasn't thinking about any repercussions at that moment... I doubt hardly anyone else does too at that particular time. In a situation like that I will do whatever I need to in order to be safe.

Planter

Banned
I have a question in regards to situation.

say you have a physical disability and/or health issues that would prevent you from reasonably defending yourself without the use of a gun. say your dominant arm (the one you primarily use) was broken and you lost a lot of strength in it or something, and lost some mobility, and say you have a thyroid issue that causes you to not have as much energy/stamina/endurance to maintain yourself in a physical fight.

Someone starts arguing with you and tries to get you to fight, but you resist every attempt to fight and you make it clear you have no desire to fight, but the person keeps pushing and pushing and pushing, and then starts hitting you. you know you can't physically defend yourself, are you justified to pull a gun to stop the assault? Or are you just supposed to sit there and take a beating and hope the guy doesn't kill you in the process?

or maybe someone is in a wheelchair and is getting accosted by an assailant but the perp is unarmed. is the guy in the wheelchair justified to pull a gun and shoot his attacker to stop the attack?

Depends on the state my friend..... if you come into my house uninvited I am going to assume the worst and shoot first and ask questions later. I don't suffer fools or criminals:nono:

Don't know if that's how it is in Tennessee but I kind of doubt it. But I do know in Texas you can defend your neighbors property with deadly force. You don't even need to be threatened. I say good riddance. Too many damn criminals. You break into someone's house you take your life into your own hands. If you get killed I won't shed one tear!!

well if they come in your house that's a different story. if they're just in your driveway or on the lawn, unless they're armed and you feel an imminent threat, you can't shoot them, and you're not justified to pull a gun on them.

We have Castle Doctrine law here as well, and we have no duty to retreat, but again they must be armed and we have to feel an imminent threat of bodily injury or death.

breaking into a house, you're fair game armed or not. just don't shoot the ****er in the back. put 2 rounds in his chest and drop him where he stands.

now if you're out somewhere at a bar, or walking downtown, if you pull a gun on someone who attacks you but they are unarmed, and just trying to fight or whatever, you're gonna be hard pressed to prove justification for pulling the gun or shooting.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
punch em in the dick and as they bend over I whip out the cockness monster and rest it on their shoulders as a reminder of the power of the wang.....oh and not to trespass.

Users who are viewing this thread