Self Defense

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I know the laws vary from state to state. Generally, how far do you have to let someone go before you defend yourself?

What about someone who comes to your home with the intent of fighting or agressing an undesireable situation?

Lets get real here, no one in their right mind is going to wait untill someone pulls a knife, gun, bat, or anything else before the defense process starts.

Do gates, fences, and no tresspassing signs have any bearings on legally keeping agressors off of your property?

Thoughts?:burn:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
In southern California, New York, or Illinois you have to die before you are allowed to protect your self with lethal force..... Fla, Texas, and most places in the South it's variations of SYG or Castle Laws.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Shoot first ask questions later.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
In southern California, New York, or Illinois you have to die before you are allowed to protect your self with lethal force..... Fla, Texas, and most places in the South it's variations of SYG or Castle Laws.

That is very true. I find the best method of self defense passive methods if you will. Staying in good shape, gates, fences, and mean as hell dogs. Seems to keep the peace on your own turf.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Here in Fl. if you have a No Trespasing sign up if someone steps on your property you can have them arressted. Gates and fences help.
If you have to defend yourself it's best to do it inside your house.Now if they pull up in front of the house gun in hand the circumstances are probably a little different.
I would contact your local LEO and find out.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
That is very true. I find the best method of self defense passive methods if you will. Staying in good shape, gates, fences, and mean as hell dogs. Seems to keep the peace on your own turf.

I do all of those except the dog. Of course right now I live in Japan so it's not really that big of a deal. But in the NC my property is at the back of the neighborhood on a deadend street. That's both good and bad - it's good because ANYBODY you see unless they are coming to see you shouldn't be there so it's pretty easy to figure out "who's who in the Zoo"..... but I upgraded all my doors, locks and windows for better security. I also have firearms and everyone in the family knows how to use them. We have motion activated lights at night and we keep our cars in the garage 90% of the time. We are considering putting signs up and are also debating getting a Bull Terrier or an Argentinian Dogo as a family pet.

4a7191a

Established Member
if i feel i cant beat them down with my fist, id pull a gun on them pretty much. in a robbery situation, also if there happens to be more than one person. if its just a fight, no weapons involved im not going to use a weapen other than foreign objects :)

i had to pull my walther the other day at a local chase atm when an idiot asked me for gas money then got mad when i told him no and to get a job. he had two friends with him, when he got out of his truck to try to be tuff. i showed him that i had 8 friends with me and the problem was solved.

if someone broke in my house while i was home they wouldnt make it out alive. if the great dane doesnt get them, mr. smith and wesson will. :)

Last edited:

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I do all of those except the dog. Of course right now I live in Japan so it's not really that big of a deal. But in the NC my property is at the back of the neighborhood on a deadend street. That's both good and bad - it's good because ANYBODY you see unless they are coming to see you shouldn't be there so it's pretty easy to figure out "who's who in the Zoo"..... but I upgraded all my doors, locks and windows for better security. I also have firearms and everyone in the family knows how to use them. We have motion activated lights at night and we keep our cars in the garage 90% of the time. We are considering putting signs up and are also debating getting a Bull Terrier or an Argentinian Dogo as a family pet.

I would say the right dog is very important. No matter what anyone says, if the dog is on your property, that is gated and fenced, starts going at the tresspassor, tresspassor starts harming the animal, anyone can guess that they are going to be next? Thus giving the right to use deadly force? Upgraded, windows, doors, camera's that are in view etc would all help.

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
Where does the line between self defense and assault get drawn. Let's
Say at a bar someone takes a swing at you, how badly do you have to beat the guy before its no longer self defense? Only asking because I have been in that situation before, where I'm sober and the other guy is drunk and stumbling.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
if i feel i cant beat them down with my fist, id pull a gun on them pretty much. in a robbery situation, also if there happens to be more than one person. if its just a fight, no weapons involved im not going to use a weapen other than foreign objects :)

i had to pull my walther the other day at a local chase atm when an idiot asked me for gas money then got mad when i told him no and to get a job. he had two friends with him, when he got out of his truck to try to be tuff. i showed him that i had 8 friends with me and the problem was solved.

if someone broke in my house while i was home they wouldnt make it out alive. if the great dane doesnt get them, mr. smith and wesson will. :)

Some people so he's driving around in his truck asking for gas money? I would have been like maybe you shouldn't be carting your friends around in a truck if non of you have any money...This is what's wrong with this country too many idiots!

Where does the line between self defense and assault get drawn. Let's
Say at a bar someone takes a swing at you, how badly do you have to beat the guy before its no longer self defense? Only asking because I have been in that situation before, where I'm sober and the other guy is drunk and stumbling.

My opinion if he keeps getting up and trying to strike you then it's still going to be defense, now if you hit some drunken idiot and he falls down you climb ontop of him and continue to bash his skull in I'd say you're in the wrong.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Colorado has the "make my day" law. And it was just extended to your place of business, and external property(yards, driveway, etc).

Machdup1

Established Member
If i feel that my lfe is realistically in mortal danger and i have no means of retreat, the aggressor's life will be forfeited. Life, even that of a criminal, is precious and should be preserved if there is any other choice.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
If i feel that my lfe is realistically in mortal danger and i have no means of retreat, the aggressor's life will be forfeited. Life, even that of a criminal, is precious and should be preserved if there is any other choice.

THIS

now I try not to fight simply because I am trained to defend myself but I know that I can hurt people who are not trained very easily. I never strike out of anger or hate but will gladly give my life to protect my friends and family

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member

Pretty true for Illinois, especially if you live in Crook County.

Laws are not always right though, you should do what you have to do to protect yourself if you live in a bad area. Use common sense though and don't just go around being George Zimmermann looking for trouble with a gun.

Planter

Banned
I know the laws vary from state to state. Generally, how far do you have to let someone go before you defend yourself?

What about someone who comes to your home with the intent of fighting or agressing an undesireable situation?

Lets get real here, no one in their right mind is going to wait untill someone pulls a knife, gun, bat, or anything else before the defense process starts.

Do gates, fences, and no tresspassing signs have any bearings on legally keeping agressors off of your property?

Thoughts?:burn:

you may only return force when force is used against you.

if they arent armed and you pull a weapon, thats assault with a deadly weapon or also known as aggravated assault which is a felony.

just because they are on your property does not authorize you to use deafly force. you must be in imminent fear of death or serious bodily injury to use deadly force.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
you may only return force when force is used against you.

if they arent armed and you pull a weapon, thats assault with a deadly weapon or also known as aggravated assault which is a felony.

just because they are on your property does not authorize you to use deafly force. you must be in imminent fear of death or serious bodily injury to use deadly force.

Depends on the state my friend..... if you come into my house uninvited I am going to assume the worst and shoot first and ask questions later. I don't suffer fools or criminals:nono:

Don't know if that's how it is in Tennessee but I kind of doubt it. But I do know in Texas you can defend your neighbors property with deadly force. You don't even need to be threatened. I say good riddance. Too many damn criminals. You break into someone's house you take your life into your own hands. If you get killed I won't shed one tear!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread