Sell '69 Mach 1 for '04 CO Cobra?

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Just surfing for opinions here... If you had a '69 Mach 1 would you sell it for an '04 CO Cobra?

The '69 is a non-original 351-C 4speed manual in (driver condition) with candy apple red exterior and black interior. It's bright red currently with a 90's repaint. Originally a 351-W 3 speed manual car. No shaker, just hood pins. No air, no factory tach, no fold down rear seat. It does have AM radio, power steering, and power brakes. It's never been wrecked, but will need metal work in 1/4's and front torque box. It's unrestored... presentable as a driver. Has period correct wing and louvers. Its tagged, insured, and rolls out just fine.

I guess I'm just trying to decide if I really want to spend the money tearing the Mach down and restoring, or just move it along and find a nice CO coupe or vert.

IMG_0109.JPG

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
What are your ultimate plans for that car or for a Cobra? I love classic's but if you plan on driving frequently I'd go Cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wudy

Established Member
That's a tough one. I love old classics and that is a sweet one right there.

To answer your question yes I would sell it as long as the Mach has no emotional attachment. Like my dads car, first car, project with my kid car. BUT I would do everything I could to keep it and get the cobra.
I see in your sig you have an MG vert. If that's the case then No I wouldn't sell it.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Yogi said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it". To get to the point of expressing this desire on here, you are obviously torn on what to do. The question you need to ask yourself is, will you miss the Mach, more than you will enjoy the Cobra? If you are into tearing down a car and rebuilding it, then keep the Mach. If you think you might like cruising around in a bad ass Cobra, go for it. I think you already know the answer to this, just don't look back and good luck.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This....
I have a 428 car and if it wasn't for it being a father/son project with my dad and my old high school car it would be gone. The terminator does everything the Mach can do and more.

Is it a running car Mike?

Sent from my bunker

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Keep the Mach. Way more character. On a given summer week or at a local cruise you might see 5 or 10 Cobras....but probably won't see a '69 Mach. Don't get me wrong - Cobras are nice cars, but to me any '60's V8 Mustang is worth keeping. I love my '14 but I'd sell it 100 times before I'd let go of my '66.

cj428mach

Established Member
Is it a running car Mike?

Sent from my bunker

It was lol.

Last summer, I added an FiTech efi setup and AC to make the car more fun to drive and it did. Then I decided adding a TKO600 overdrive would make it even better. While installing the overdrive I realized the engine leaked more oil than it held in so I pulled it for a refresh.

I just got a call saying the machine shop has the motor assembled they're supposed to dyno it and I hope to be reinstalling it next weekend. We're shooting for 450hp, there no point in trying to go big because it'll still be slower than the Cobra.

Here are a few old pics from 2014.
2h66af5.jpg

335crpu.jpg

If I'm lucky it might run again next weekend.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Keep the Mach. Way more character. On a given summer week or at a local cruise you might see 5 or 10 Cobras....but probably won't see a '69 Mach. Don't get me wrong - Cobras are nice cars, but to me any '60's V8 Mustang is worth keeping. I love my '14 but I'd sell it 100 times before I'd let go of my '66.
Depends where you live. Mines the only cobra locally, and there is probably 3-5 mach 1's.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
First off, thanks for the replies fellas. Your opinions do matter. As I read your replies, I hear both sides- but what I DON'T hear is "you're crazy for selling"... I'm not married to the car by some extraordinary circumstances. It was in the family, but hasn't been for long. Just as a polite aside, my wife and I do own a terminator each. We've just always wanted a CO Cobra, but finding the right one at the time we bought the others was just poor timing.

The values for restored Machs seem impressive... but it seems that low mileage 03/04 Cobras are comparable already, with MC and CO cars outpacing the average, over the course of time.

toby1234

Established Member
I have a 69 mustang. My first car/project. It was my daily driver for 5 years. I drove it to high school, college, work, etc. Rain or shine. I would also regularly go see my girlfriend who lived an hour away. I'd go around 3-4 times a week, usually around 10pm and I would drive home around 2am. One year I put 18k miles on her. 351w with an AOD and a 4 barrel. Engine had never been rebuilt and it leaked/burned quite a bit of oil. Never left me stranded.

I've owned new edge mach1's and cobras. Although faster, none came close to having the respect the 69 has. People usually have to be "in the know" to appreciate a clean cobra. To the majority of people, it's just a 10 year old mustang. A classic, however, receives attention and respect from just about anyone. Kids, teens, seniors, women, etc. You simply don't see classics on the road anymore.

Here's what you need to ask yourself. What kind of car guy are you? Are you like most "car guys" that can't work on their own cars by themselves? Are you only comfortable doing simple jobs like oil changes and brakes? Do you have a mechanic's phone number? If you answered "yes" to all of those questions, save yourself the trouble and sell the Mach. Get a cobra.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
First off, thanks for the replies fellas. Your opinions do matter. As I read your replies, I hear both sides- but what I DON'T hear is "you're crazy for selling"... I'm not married to the car by some extraordinary circumstances. It was in the family, but hasn't been for long. Just as a polite aside, my wife and I do own a terminator each. We've just always wanted a CO Cobra, but finding the right one at the time we bought the others was just poor timing.

The values for restored Machs seem impressive... but it seems that low mileage 03/04 Cobras are comparable already, with MC and CO cars outpacing the average, over the course of time.

Kinda seems to me like you already have your answer.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Not exactly, but getting forum feedback certainly helps. Toby, I'm a full monte car guy... frame off, fabricate parts, and weld my own... type of guys. I rebuilt transmissions, motors.. etc. I rarely have someone touch my stuff. I definitely hear what you are saying. Thanks for your reply.

cj428mach

Established Member
Even if you can do a ton of work yourself, you'll have 20+k into building that into a decent car. If you want a high level restoration or restomod you'll end up with 40+k in it. It'll probably take at least 40 to get in on par with a terminator.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Even if you can do a ton of work yourself, you'll have 20+k into building that into a decent car. If you want a high level restoration or restomod you'll end up with 40+k in it. It'll probably take at least 40 to get in on par with a terminator.

Thank you for what seems to be a very logical point from someone who has both a Mach and a Terminator. Beautiful cars- BTW!

Open to more feedback! Thanks guys.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I have a 67 camaro rs/ss and it turns and gets way more looks and compliments than my 03 and it's no where near as clean as your Mach. Like already mentioned, to get it to do what a factory cobra can do and get it into the condition of a low mileage cobra body wise will take tens of thousands of dollars. I would sell the 69 and get the cobra you want. Then slap on a twin screw and never look back.

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks, my car was a basket case and probably shouldn't have been saved so trust me I meant no disrespect.

I should have said it will take 20k to make that a nice driver. It is a nice place to start though. Paint and body work would be 10k easy. To go through the engine, transmission, rear end, brakes,suspension and fuel system will be 10k for a budget rebuild. I think you can get a repo interior done for a couple grand.

My Mach probably gets more looks than my current OW cobra but my SB cobra got the most looks of any car lol. I live in a town of 20k and have the only terminator. I know of at least seven 69-70
Machs in the area, 4 of which are 428 cars lol.

Users who are viewing this thread