seller dont know what rear he has...

boneblower

Established Member
2011 gt 6sp mt......................but I'm in that section,thot it was a given....

anyway used that site to view the window sticker and that don't indicate what rear its got.

I have the vin is there another way to see what the cars got?

also kinda weird is that it says it has California emmissions even tho its an east coast car. Is that right for an east coast car?

sleek98

Established Member
2011 gt 6sp mt......................but I'm in that section,thot it was a given....

anyway used that site to view the window sticker and that don't indicate what rear its got.

also kinda weird is that it says it has California emmissions even tho its an east coast car. Is that right for an east coast car?

If it doesnt list the 3.55/3.73 option on the window sticker it has 3.31 from the factory. Thats not to say that they were not changed out by someone else after it left the factory, and the rear end tag should say 3.31

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member

If the window sticker doesn't list a gear option then the car has stock 3.31's

mark5pt0

Established Member
The build tag on the drivers door jamb will have the axle code. Get the code and Google search it.

But as someone else has stated, the gears could have been changed though.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Like others have said, look it up by vin.

If you want to know if they've been changed then get the rear up and spin the driveshaft until the tire rotates one full time. However many times you spun the driveshaft is what gears you have (ie 3.31, 3.73, 4.10, etc)

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
If you cant find it on the cover or determine it by the vin. You can pull the cover and count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear. divide the ring gear number by the pinion gear number. That will give you the ratio.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
People are making this much harder than it needs to be.

Get under the car and look at the differential cover. Done, simple and no need to type in the Vin.

May93

Established Member
The Vin # and door tag will only tell you what should be there. That includes the tag on the rear differential cover. If the guy says they haven't been changed and they all match then most likely they are what's listed. However the only way to be 100% sure is to pull the diff cover and divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number on the pinion gear. It's more work but your question will be answered.

g4dadon

Established Member
Like others have said, look it up by vin.

If you want to know if they've been changed then get the rear up and spin the driveshaft until the tire rotates one full time. However many times you spun the driveshaft is what gears you have (ie 3.31, 3.73, 4.10, etc)

This!!

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
People are making this much harder than it needs to be.

Get under the car and look at the differential cover. Done, simple and no need to type in the Vin.

mine says 3.73 but it has 3.55... the only real way to know and know for 100% certainty... pull diff cover and start counting ring and pinion gear teeth... divid ring gear count by pinion gear count...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread