Selling advice

Walk2Much

Established Member
I am looking for some advice on selling my 2009 gt500. I am a little skeptical about putting an ad on craigslist. I feel that my time will be consumed with low ball offers, people wanting to take a joy ride, and tire kickers. I have tried autotrader.com with some other cars, that didn't go anywhere. I have sold a few with just a for sale sign in the window setting in my yard, but those cars were only worth a few thousand dollars. I don't know how many people are driving around looking for a $30k car. For anyone that has sold their GT500 where did you have the most success at when advertising it? Also how do you keep people from just wanting to taking joy rides? What did you do about payment? I have never sold a car this expensive on my own before. I think that I would just meet at the buyers bank and take a check or wire transfer from the banker. I am interested in other payment methods that won't get me scammed. Thanks for looking!:burnout:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
ebay is your friend in this instance. make sure you have title in hand and know what your LOWEST price you'll take is. Start with that price as no reserve. If its realistic enough and you have a desire to get it sold, ebay will sell it. tried selling my dads 71 bug on ebay with a reserve auction. Ended up having to contact the highest bidder after 3 separate sales attempts and Im sure it was because of the reserve. No reserve auctions means SOMEONE who bids will win and your car is sold. Those odds are much more attractive for a serious active buyer

Set up Paypal now if you dont have an account. A Paypal account protects you and the buyer.

Just my opinion of course

Regulars520

Established Member
Craigslist is fine or post it on forums. Require proof of funds before you allow a test drive. That will weed out your dreamers. Make sure you post in your ad that proof of funds is required before test drive. Don't use paypal or any of that crap that allows fees or a buyer to back out and file a claim within a set amount of days. People are selling Shelbys all the time on craigslist and here.

Good luck

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Craigslist sucks in my opinion. Full of people as you said looking to low ball. I spent a lot of time chit chatting about he car I think with people who get a sort of enjoyment out of leading people on regarding a high performance car they can't buy. That and it's too local in my opinion for cars that people would travel quite a ways to buy.

I'd recommend EBay. Use PayPal as the deposit method within 24 hours of so and then require additional in form of cash or other method of payment that is guaranteed such as meeting at a bank for a wife transfer. But the reason you'll want to ensure the receiving bank accepts the transfer is that wife transfers can be cancelled if the receiving bank receives a stop payment before receiving the wire transfer acceptance.

Edit: I meant to write wire transfer but auto correct. I'll just leave it as wife transfer though...could be worth it too.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
I'd put it on craigslist, and not really hope for much out of there aside from the publicity. You'd get most of your hits off of the forums where us enthusiasts are, and autotrader. More serious buyers are on there because they know the ads cost money to post.

Blackoyote

Established Member
There's no problem doing the CL thing, you just have to make it clear to potential candidates who want to come and see it that you aren't ****ing around. Also, don't put your cell phone number in the 'Reply' area...make them email you first and go from there if they seem legit.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I sold my last Cobra on camaroz28.com. I bought both of my cars from the forums here on svtperformance.com. Post it up!

mach14604

Established Member
I sold two Mustangs this year. My first one was my 2004 Mach1. I posted it on the forums here and a couple others sites and also on AutoTrader and Cars.com. I believe my sale for that car came through Autotrader from best I can tell. That deal came together pretty fast and was sold within three days from the guy saying he wanted the car. On this transaction his bank called me for my account number and the money was wired into my bank account and the deal was done. On the 2004 Cobra the car was sold through the forums here(I still get calls about once a month if the car is still for sale when someone does a Google Search) With this transaction his bank sent me a cashiers check in the asking amount. Looking at all my contacts through the process I would say forums and Autotrader brought my best possible buyers. I thought Cars.com would do more for me but it was not the case. Hope this helps.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I always list my cars everywhere, car forums, CL, cars.com, etc. I've never had luck selling a car on Auto Trader. I seem to buy/sell most of my cars on the forums or ebay. I just sold my Miata through a free ad on cars.com
I don't let people test drive without cash/bank check in hand.

Last edited:

Walk2Much

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I will definitely be asking for proof of funds before someone wants to go on a test drive. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread