SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Universal Minimum Income

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Id like to see an automated robot bring a car in need of service or repair into a service bay and diagnose the problem, remove all necessary components to get to failed parts without breaking anything, fixing said issue, reassembling car and road testing it for safety.

That robot would cost MILLIONS of dollars, be more complicated than any machine currently on the planet and be unable to process fix and diagnose the unforeseen issue that typically happen in many repair instances.

There are just some jobs that cannot feasibly be replaced by robots for the distant future. There will ALWAYS be a need for skilled labor.

Blown 89

Established Member
I remember this conversation in the 90's when computers were starting to take off. The digital revolution led to a tons of tech related jobs and the unemployment rate hasn't changed much since then. The same will happen in the OP's scenario.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
This is the candlemaker fallacy. With the invention of the lightbulb, all the candle makers are going to be jobless and starve, so we have to do something to ensure that they don't. Guess what? They didn't starve and life moved on.

It's not like we're going to wake up one day and 150 million robots just replaced the entire labor force. Shifts will be gradual as the tech is adopted by companies. Layed off workers will then need to do some soul searching and plan a new career or flounder through life.

pwrshft99

Established Member

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
The irony is no tech revolution had farmers not been replaced by "robots".
Farmers haven't been replaced, but their tech has gotten amazing. Buddy of mine is an Alfalfa grower. Was telling me of a friend of his who bought some new equipment. Expensive as hell, but the combine has GPS, they took it out in the middle of the night, set it up, and it ran the entire field in pitch black night with no lights and no input from the operator.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Farmers haven't been replaced, but their tech has gotten amazing. Buddy of mine is an Alfalfa grower. Was telling me of a friend of his who bought some new equipment. Expensive as hell, but the combine has GPS, they took it out in the middle of the night, set it up, and it ran the entire field in pitch black night with no lights and no input from the operator.

0001e48c3983f53311fed7895c500619.jpg

The Cheby didn't have GPS I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
We're gonna have to deal with the overpopulation problem long before a UMI or AI that would require universal income. The US (and whole world actually) is becoming vastly over populated and its causing a laundry list of problems. Some will be unsustainable.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I remember this conversation in the 90's when computers were starting to take off. The digital revolution led to a tons of tech related jobs and the unemployment rate hasn't changed much since then. The same will happen in the OP's scenario.

this is what i was pretty much going to say to the op. for a serious discussion, i guess i would ask how this emergence of AI will be that much different that the first industrial revolution of the late 1800s.

the doom and gloom scenario that machines will replace us has been around for a very long time.

i don't think that we will see a UMI as described in any of our lifetimes, although we already do have it in many forms, such as social security, min wage, welfare, etc., and they probably will continue to be added upon.

CO Mack

Established Member

Don't really care how you want to put this but over 70% of Americans were farmers until the industrial revolution and now it's less than 10%. So yes, farmers were replaced.

Same thing has happened with industrial manufacturing, our output has gone way up even as less and less people work in it.

This is the same exact scenario we are talking about with "robots" now.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
What needs to happen is an end to all these safety nets for the lazy and unmotivated. You take away their welfare, payments for giving birth to their own village, and other hand outs then things will put themselves back in balance. Sure, there will always be some poverty but it would be less if we eliminated handouts.

There is no need for UMI, there is a need to make people stand own their own two feet.

We are promised opportunities to make a life for ourselves, we are not and should not be promised a certain quality of life.

jaxbusa

Established Member
We're gonna have to deal with the overpopulation problem long before a UMI or AI that would require universal income. The US (and whole world actually) is becoming vastly over populated and its causing a laundry list of problems. Some will be unsustainable.

A few weeks ago I was driving in an area where I grew up and started thinking about the ridiculous amount of traffic now versus the 1990s. It's hard to imagine what the next 20 to 30 years will bring. And I am noticing a massive amount of people moving to the outskirts of the city and building neighborhoods on farm land. This got me thinking about population control. We won't have enough food to go around. I don't think we will ever see anyone in politics discussing population control until we're in dire straits. Except for immigration, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^Read The Population Bomb by Ehrlich written in 68. He predicted a bunch of doom and gloom, but was wrong on all counts. We are supposed to be out of natural resources and living in massive apartment complexes by now. Technology advances in agriculture, mining, fuel production and information processing have allowed us to keep pace with population growth.

Established Member
0001e48c3983f53311fed7895c500619.jpg

The Cheby didn't have GPS I guess.

9650 is really an older combine. The gps stuff would be mostly found on 660-680 series and the newest Deere. Also, there is no head on the combine, so I think he was trying to harvest the truck in the first place

Established Member
As a side note, This was only a partially serious post because we don't really grow chevys for harvest. It is also partially political because anyone who know farming knows there is a very clear green/red divide. Sorry for the deviation.

Users who are viewing this thread