Server admins, question. Having some permission issues.

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
So I've got a W2008R2 server that I am amateur admin'ing. Small company and my IT guy flew the coup in a hurry. He came out shortly after, so might have been the fact that we're pretty masculine (very unPC atmosphere) around here.

Either way, I'm left sort of piecing things back together here. Lately I've had some permission issues creep up sort of out of nowhere.

I have this server being connected to by 5 machines. Some of the machines are supposed to have full control over the network. That being the ability to add, remove, modify and read data on shared drives.

I created a user, gave that user domain administrative, administrator and domain user privileges. I then added that user into the user list for the shared folder and also gave the user "full control" privileges. I'm still having trouble modifying files.

This is a related issue too. When changing permissions for groups and users, does the server, client or both need to reboot for changes? Both my client and server machines take about 10 minutes to reboot, connect etc. So doing both is a huge pain in the ass.

I'm under the impression only the client needs to reboot.
The client is a 2008 laptop connected by wifi to a router that the server also connects to. We can see the shared directory just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
First thing I saw is that you gave a new user domain admin rights. Unless they are the business owner/check writers, never give out domain admin rights to anyone except (very) trusted individuals.

Second thing, start hanging out around Free IT Community, Help Desk, and Network Monitoring - Spiceworks. Its a fairly large community of people ranging from people who have never touched a server OS to fortune 500 IT staff. They are very helpful with all things IT related.

By 'having trouble modifying files', what is the error message you get?

A basic permissions troublshooting step is to right click on the file/folder you are having issues with. Go to Security tab, then click Advanced. In the new window, click Effective Permissions, then Select your user. That will point out what permissions the user has for that file/folder

i-ht6VWmB-X2.jpg

Also check out Share and NTFS Permissions on a File Server

Best of luck!

Also, rebooting is not strictly required. Most of the time, permissions changes are immediate. I've seen on some networks that the clients have some delay in getting the new permissions and a reboot fixes it. There are other underlying issues in that case, but the client generally doesnt want to pay the troubleshooting time as it works fine in general. :beer:

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The client doesn't necessarily have to reboot, at the very most a logout/login is all thats needed, but many times the changes are instantaneous. Some need time to replicate.

I'm assuming you are using windows server, are you using server 2008?

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
For those who didn't read the first sentence and just skimmed...

"So I've got a W2008R2 server..."

Heh.

2k3Mach

Established Member
Full control is a NO NO .. Set permissions at modify which allows overwrite but not the ability to set their own permissions. You may have to talk ownership of all files/folders you have an issue with them replace permissions

Another tip is to create security groups and give permissions to shares per group so you aren't overwriting all permissions every time you wanna add someone to share access, just add the user to the group and have them log off/on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread