Seven killed in car accident

GoatDaddy

The driver didn't have a license, and the dad said "they were just out joyriding and cop tried to stop them..." As if they were just spending a harmless day at the playground and the bad cop made them crash and die.
And a friend of the family said something to the effect of "this is what happens when kids are out driving these fast cars."
I think it was a Dodge Stratus, a real smoker.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Thanks Ben for the clarification since TXM said it asked for a sign on password. What AOL doesn't let people read the news. I guess it's just too exculsive. Lets try this:

TROUTMAN, N.C. (Dec. 29) - A car trying to outrun a police officer ran off a road and crashed early Monday, killing all seven teenagers inside, the Highway Patrol said.

The driver was identified as a 15-year-old, and the father of one of the victims said none of the teens had licenses and the group had been borrowing cars for joyrides.

A police officer from Troutman began chasing the car after seeing the 2001 Dodge Intrepid weaving in its lane, the patrol said.

"They passed us going 85 to 100 miles an hour with the police car passing us," said a witness, Brandon Jackson.

Troutman police Chief Eric Henderson said Officer Keith Bills chased the car for about a mile on U.S. 21 until it flipped over after hitting an embankment, crashed into a tree and then skidded to a stop upside down in a creek.

Bills, however, said he tried to stop the car only briefly, following it about 500 yards before it sped out of sight.

"It was swerving, slowing down and speeding up, just erratic driving," Bills told the Statesville Record & Landmark. Bills said he did not see the crash, but found the wreckage later.

Talk About It

· Chat
The Highway Patrol identified the dead as driver John Lindsey Myers, 15, and passengers David Wayne Summers, 14, Quentin Maurice Reed, 18, Antonio Miller, 13, Domnick Hurtt, 17, Erica Stevenson, 15, and Antoinette Griffin, 13, all from Statesville.

All were pronounced dead at the scene, and none was wearing a seat belt, the Highway Patrol said.

Howard Hurtt said his son and the boy's friends had recently been borrowing cars from people they knew and going for rides.

"They were just out joyriding and a cop pulls them over and here we have seven deaths. I lost my only son," Hurtt said.

More on This Story

· Dad May Have Spared Son From Crash

Dyrita Ellis, 31, who came to the scene with her teenage daughter and a cousin, said the five boys who died were a tight-knit group.

"We just saw them yesterday," she said. "They were happy and laughing. ... It looks like they were out having fun last night, just doing their Christmas holiday break."

The car had been moved by midmorning, but 50-foot skid marks showed where it abruptly veered off the highway. Glass was embedded in the tree's trunk, and car parts were visible around the creek.

"You see these kids driving these fast cars and they have no sense," said Bucky Edwards, who stopped by to survey the damage. "It's so sad."

Troutman, about 35 miles north of Charlotte, has about 1,600 residents.

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
They said on the news this morning that it was stolen. I wonder if it was really stolen, or someone is just trying to cover their butt for allowing an unlicensed driver "borrow" their car...?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Why the hell did they try to run? And parents like that father make me sick. I bet if his son got shot by an LEO because he pulled a gun he would blame the LEO. :bored:

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Very sad story. While the parents need to step up and take responsibility my heart goes out to them for losing a child. I don't even want to imagine the pain they feel right now and I'm sure it clouds thier resoning when they answer.

SVT4ME

Established Member
I too feel sad but am glad they killed themselves instead of some inocent driver on the road. Some mother coming home from work driving safely and not hurting anyone. Screw those kids, let me get it straight first. They steal a car, run from the police and get killed in the crash and I should have what for them. naw I least that mom or dad made it home and their off the road. Fools and castrait that dad before he has more.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The car was stolen. Police turned on their lights after running the tags, and they attempted to run from the police. They accelerated to approx. 115 MPH and they lost control of the car, which flipped over into a creek. The chase lasted approx. 15 seconds.

And no offense, but some of the snapshots of the teens ... well err uhh, they weren't white. If any of those officers were white, which I think they were, then they will blame the police for chasing them.

Mike

Last edited:

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by Booyah
Why the hell did they try to run? And parents like that father make me sick. I bet if his son got shot by an LEO because he pulled a gun he would blame the LEO. :bored:

But of course....

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
People shouldnt run, usually ends up two ways, you die, or get caught and get screwed way more then if you just pulled over.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by azgardia
People shouldnt run, usually ends up two ways, you die, or get caught and get screwed way more then if you just pulled over.

But when you're stupid, as most teenagers are (and I was too, so STFU any teens who take offense...goddamn pansies), simple things like common sense is still miles out of reach.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by SweetSVT99
They said on the news this morning that it was stolen. I wonder if it was really stolen, or someone is just trying to cover their butt for allowing an unlicensed driver "borrow" their car...?
Yeah I smell lawsuit here......

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Too bad Tonys gone. Right about now we would be hearing a story about how he goes on joy rides ALL the time in his parents "expy" and theres nothing wrong with it.

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
none taken ben. although i've done my fairshare of stupid, the leo's have never been involved.

Originally posted by snail50
But when you're stupid, as most teenagers are (and I was too, so STFU any teens who take offense...goddamn pansies), simple things like common sense is still miles out of reach.

Users who are viewing this thread