Shelby "done" building cars? Wants to sell parts only?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Right on... I would have been 10 times happier if my 2010 was an SVT Cobra and not a "Shelby." I don't see how people get off with this guy's name all over the car. :shrug:

It's on the car less than SVT is. :bored:

Imatk

Established Member
There's a lot of things people like that I don't, but I don't really care as far as that goes.

The only reason I wouldn't want Shelby on the car is because of the feeding frenzy it caused in '07 through '08 with everyone and their brother paying ridiculous prices because they all thought they were going to get rich because they bought into the hype of Shelby.

I think it's cool that the GT500s are associated with Shelby, but the car would still be in my garage weather his name was on it or not.

The only difference is it would have been there much earlier if his name wasn't on the car... I waited for two years before I bought my "used" Shelby from a guy who took it home and covered it... with the plastic and window sticker still attached.

I suspect he paid a WHOLE lot more for his '07 than I paid for it :)

BlwnSn8k

S/C Whine = Smile on Face
Established Member
Part of their problem is that the Shelby name does not carry the weight with this generation of auto enthusiast as it once carried.

^^This is exactly on point. When I am driving around or showing the car, it is only the baby boomers and older Gen-X people who really are attracted to and recognize the name. A lot of the younger folks have no idea what the name really symbolizes. Most of these folks have move past the auto enthusiast portion of their life, the niche which within this car sits.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I seriously doubt a loaded GT would be less if the was no GT500.
I never said the car that has the Shleppy name tacked on it wouldn't be here. What I said was that the car could have been offered at a more competitive price had Ford not elected to pen a deal that tacked a surcharge onto every car. With a lower "SVT" pricetag the pricepoint for a loaded GT would have had to have been lower. Simple economics. They shift their break even point with a lower price and increased volume, which is what the GT is about. CAFE aside, Ford would love to move as many Mustang GT's as possible.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Right on... I would have been 10 times happier if my 2010 was an SVT Cobra and not a "Shelby." I don't see how people get off with this guy's name all over the car. :shrug:
Enter: the old dudes.

Our generation likes our Mustang elite to be Cobras. Older dudes thought Shelbys were the shit.

I think almost everyone that generally owns one, would buy it if the Shelby name was there or not. :shrug:

65SC

Established Member
won't hurt my feelings to see the Shelby name off the back of the SVT GT500 or if the doors close at SA. after what I went thru on the CSX "what goes around comes around" or should I say "don't bite the hand that feeds you"

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Case in point:

Faux gas cap with Old Man's name on it - $59.00
Buy Ford Racing Parts - 2007 GT500 Rear Gas Cap Fake Cover

Same faux gas cap without name on it - $6.95
Buy Ford Racing Parts - 2005 - 2009 Cobra Faux Fuel Cap

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We all threw away thousands just to have this and the six plastic letters on the decklid.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Case in point:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We all threw away thousands just to have this and the six plastic letters on the decklid.

GREAT POINT!! I agree completely. I already took his name off the rear decklid, and that faux cap is next on my list. I love that it says GT500, but the shelby name I can do without.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ford should've charged Shelby an advertising fee for allowing him to have his name on the cars!:lol1:

But the question is..................Who owns "GT500" and for that matter "GT350"? I believe it is Carroll Shelby, so without his agreement to use his "GT500" identifier, and then of course the "SHELBY" name plate also, the latest top teir Mustang would not have been a GT500. Ford chose to do this to grab in the buyers who were into the retro craze, the 40+ers with coin to spend.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
There's a lot of things people like that I don't, but I don't really care as far as that goes.

The only reason I wouldn't want Shelby on the car is because of the feeding frenzy it caused in '07 through '08 with everyone and their brother paying ridiculous prices because they all thought they were going to get rich because they bought into the hype of Shelby.

I think it's cool that the GT500s are associated with Shelby, but the car would still be in my garage weather his name was on it or not.

The only difference is it would have been there much earlier if his name wasn't on the car... I waited for two years before I bought my "used" Shelby from a guy who took it home and covered it... with the plastic and window sticker still attached.

I suspect he paid a WHOLE lot more for his '07 than I paid for it :)

Exactly^^^^^^^^^and it wasn't the kids who were buying these cars at these prices, meanwhile Ford (and Ford dealerships) were raking in the $$$.

For the retro era of Mustang, what better name identifier to have beside GT500 on a Mustang? To this generation of Mustang enthusiast a Cobra was a 2-seat sports car and an option for the Torino/Fairlane body style.

But, to use "GT500", it cost for some serious $$$ and I am sure a contract............Ford chose to do this, and the SVT guys, they had to ride along in the background.

R

Last edited:

halo

Outta my way!!!
Established Member
Ford chose to do this to grab in the buyers who were into the retro craze, the 40+ers with coin to spend.

This is, of course, the heart of the issue. The 2005+ retro styling was a massive hit, and the GT500 designation went right along with that. Big money for Ford!

Personally, I would have preferred to replace my 03 Cobra with another Cobra. :burnout:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Case in point:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

It is interesting how "SHELBY" disappeared form that faux cap, but so did "GT500", as I mentioned, he (Shelby) owns that too. Smart man....

Once Ford aquired the rights for the Cobra snake and Cobra text, they were required to use it from time to time, after the 1960's and 1970 Shelby's it reappeared on the 1974 Mustang II (Cobra II) and then the King Cobra in that same body style. Next it appeared in the very early 1980's on a Cobra optioned FOX Mustang including a turbo 4cyl. version. Then as we all know, SVT picked up the Cobra label for their top of the line Mustang offering. The whole "Cobra thing" too, has been around since Carroll Shelby attached it to an automobile, first through Cobra 2-seater (AC Bristol), then that same "Cobra engine" in a Shelby Mustang (GT350), and on into the GT500's.

Then Ford, after aquiring the nameplate and adding "jet" to it, using the "Cobra Jet engine" identifiers through at least 1972 and maybe even 1973.

Just think, without Carroll Shelby originally adding a Cobra snake identifer to a car, there may have never been a Cobra Mustang. He started it all. Everyone else has just capitalized on his original idea.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread