Shelby "done" building cars? Wants to sell parts only?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Many have been anticipating what is in store for the next edition of the Shelby GT500, including just about everyone on this board.

Earlier in the years, there have been reports of possible 2012 twin turbo shelby's,. 6.2 Shelby's, 5.0 shelby's, etc.

I myself have been looking forward to seeing Shelby really step it up in 2012 and dominate anything remotely close to being its competition.

The GT350 seems to do that in 525hp form. I have no doubt the 624hp version would run circles around the comp.

However, I just read a rather disconcerting artlice (link posted for your convenience).

Report: Carroll Shelby done with building cars, wants to sell more parts — Autoblog

Anyone confirm this?

That is not good news at all if true.

Of course there is always the SVT products which can be just as good, but having the official "SHELBY" on your car can't be beat.

pony23

Established Member
Damn, I hope not. Maybe that is why SVT has an option this year. Getting ready to transition.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Old "news". :read:

Good riddance.

Take his name off the car and it might be affordable again.

Right, because every chuckle**** that can finance a $30k car should be able to get one with 540hp and RWD. :bored:

Imatk

Established Member
I like that he said it's hard to make money off of cars.

I mean 30k for a SuperSnake 15k for a 40th edition... seems like those are some high numbers to me?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
This was posted in June on Autoblog.

Hadn't heard of it anywhere else before.

Kinda sad about it.

It's like history repeating itself with the "Boss" Mustang coming in to transition.

Don't really like the idea personally.

And the Boss is only NA.

I hope at least Ford licenses from Shelby or something. Sheesh.

Back in the day Shelby got burned by Ford. I hope they do him right these days.

drmustang

Banned
Ford using the Shelby name on its SVT engineered GT500 was a huge dose of life support for SAI. Transporting new production line units across the country to Vegas for a swap out of shocks, air intakes, mufflers and a few body panels is ridiculous. Extremely poor business model that was pursued by SAIs former commander Amy Boylan. The KRs and Shelby GTs bombed in the market place because they were simply too expensive. There are new KRs with 30 thousand dollar discounts still looking for a home 3 years later.

Aftermarket parts and accessories with the almighty Shelby blessings is likely to be their best chance at returning to profitability and subsequent survival. They can sell their overpriced wheels, valve covers, floor mats, and coffee mugs to the Kool Aide drinkers on Team Shelby.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good riddance.

I couldn't agree more. Ford is as guilty for whoring Shleppy as Shleppy is for being a whore.

I'd rather Ford offered the car without the ~$5,000 per vehicle bump that it cost them (or us) in royalty fees. Just a clean, badass performance machine. Then if some simply must have his name on their car, for a few plastic letters here and there, you can send Ford an additional $5,000 so that you can be in a registry somewhere and also be a member of a private club or some shit.

With parts like Shleppy's rear axle reservoir, his parts business is going places!

:xpl:

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I like that he said it's hard to make money off of cars.

I mean 30k for a SuperSnake 15k for a 40th edition... seems like those are some high numbers to me?

His biz my not be running in a profitable manner. I'm sure theres alot of waste in his shops and so on. May look like he's making a bundle but after paying a crew, by the hour, to tear down, install and rebuild just one car over however long it takes, the cost of the parts and then the facilities, I'm not so sure he's seeing a whole lot.

Prime time for a King Cobra to come back!

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
You guys act as if you can find a cheaper hand built 550hp dohc supercharged bad ass mofo of a factory built car for less then the 2010's $46k price tag which are now going for $42k new..... So you really think if Shelby didnt have his name on it the GT500 would be selling for $5k less which is what a loaded GT is going for at $42k. Come awn guys! Its not 2002 anymore with $36k 03 Cobra's on the lot's right next to the $56k Cobra R

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
You guys act as if you can find a cheaper hand built 550hp dohc supercharged bad ass mofo of a factory built car for less then the 2010's $46k price tag which are now going for $42k new.....
Wait until you see how inexpensive that new Z/28 will be with only the Chevy name on it! :lol:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So you really think if Shelby didnt have his name on it the GT500 would be selling for $5k less

Yes, I do. That would have kept the loaded GT price point lower as well.

Cabinetman

Yes, I do. That would have kept the loaded GT price point lower as well.

I disagree. Ford is going to sell the GT at whatever price point they feel will give them the best compromise of single vehicle profit margin and overall volume. I seriously doubt a loaded GT would be less if the was no GT500.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Part of their problem is that the Shelby name does not carry the weight with this generation of auto enthusiast as it once carried.

halo

Outta my way!!!
Established Member
Good riddance.

Right on... I would have been 10 times happier if my 2010 was an SVT Cobra and not a "Shelby." I don't see how people get off with this guy's name all over the car. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread