Shelby emblem= $5,000+/car

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
As I figure it..Ol' Shel is set to make $5000/car for his contribution(?)

If you start with an 03/04 Cobra:
$34,575
+ 1,500 New body (04 GT/ 05 GT diff.)
+ 2,000 Screw-blower (if avail.?)
+ 1.000 Brake upgrade
+ 1,000 Interior upgrade
-----------
$40,075
- 5,000 Live axle (Shelby's own #)
-----------
$35,575
+ 5,000 Shelby commission
-----------
$40,075

Now YOU may think the guy is an icon, but do you really think he did anything on this car that that SVT couldn't have figured out themselves?

Are you willing to pay a premium for future classic(?) value that his name will provide? As the saying goes...I'm not buying it..

Where am I wrong?

Last edited:

stang99

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? Dude I hope you didn't do your own income tax return or the IRS will be knocking on your door any day now.

Joe King said:

$34,575
+ 1,500 New body (04 GT to 05 GT)
+ 2,500 Screw-blower (if avail.?)
+ 1.000 Brake upgrade
+ 1,000 Interior upgrade
-----------
$40,575
-----------
$35,575
-----------
$40,575

Now YOU may think the guy is an icon, but do you really think he did anything on this car that that SVT couldn't have figured out themselves?

Am I wrong..or are you guys OK with paying for future classic(?) value that his name will provide...I don't see it..

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Thanks

now I understand :shrug:

pass the glass of Shelby...kool-aid......cheers

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
benchpress450lb said:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? Dude I hope you didn't do your own income tax return or the IRS will be knocking on your door any day now.

Classic!!!!! :thumbsup:

Paleoc

Established Member
" +5,000 Shelby commission"

Let's see $5000 x 7000 cars made (per year) = $35,000,000 per year
Do you think Ford is going to pay anyone (other than maybe the CEO) $35 million dollars?? a year! I don't think so!
At $500 a car, it is still $3.5 million per year. I don't think so!
At $50 a car, it is $350,000, still sounds unlikely but maybe.
At $20 a car it is $140,000 which sounds ballpark to me.

Is a $50 markup worth it to me to have a Shelby. You bet your a..

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Paleoc said:
" +5,000 Shelby commission"

Let's see $5000 x 7000 cars made (per year) = $35,000,000 per year
Do you think Ford is going to pay anyone (other than maybe the CEO) $35 million dollars?? a year! I don't think so!
At $500 a car, it is still $3.5 million per year. I don't think so!
At $50 a car, it is $350,000, still sounds unlikely but maybe.
At $20 a car it is $140,000 which sounds ballpark to me.

Is a $50 markup worth it to me to have a Shelby. You bet your a..

You missed the point.....

The car will cost YOU $5000 EXTRA...because it says... S H E L B Y....

Oh yah...if you think CS...would fart for $140,000 you haven't a clue

and to the rest of you..enjoy your $50,000+ Mustangs which you're SURE are going to be..COLLECTOR cars...I have one think to say.....2000R

NipplelessHorse

Established Member
I really doubt poor little shelby would make people pay 5k extra per car.

devon_blackmar1.jpg

jshen

Established Member
I think he'd take the pennys off a dead man's eyes

NipplelessHorse said:
I really doubt poor little shelby would make people pay 5k extra per car.

devon_blackmar1.jpg

He does get outta bed unless he's paid.

Paleoc

Established Member
Joe King said:
You missed the point.....

The car will cost YOU $5000 EXTRA...because it says... S H E L B Y....

Oh yah...if you think CS...would fart for $140,000 you haven't a clue

and to the rest of you..enjoy your $50,000+ Mustangs which you're SURE are going to be..COLLECTOR cars...I have one think to say.....2000R

NO you missed the point, the point is that he is NOT making $5000 a car which what is exactly what you claimed.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Joe King said:

$34,575
+ 1,500 New body (04 GT/ 05 GT diff.)
+ 2,000 Screw-blower (if avail.?)
+ 1.000 Brake upgrade
+ 1,000 Interior upgrade
-----------
$40,075
-----------
$35,575
-----------
$40,075

Are you willing to pay a premium for future classic(?) value that his name will provide? As the saying goes...I'm not buying it..

Where am I wrong?

You're first sentence says, as you figure it...

Exactly how did you figure that it would be that much? Did someone tell you that, or did you pull it out of the air?

I think the supercharger upgrade will be less than that. Just changing rotor style would not be a $2000 upgrade. Comparing KB's to mass produced eatons is not a good comparison, because of the number produced, and the markup by KB.

You also forgot to add in the trans. There are also rumors that they may add an extra coat of paint for SVT customers. The rims/tires will add to the cost as well.

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
Even if Shelby was getting a $5k commision (which he isn't... I doubt even Bill Ford makes that much on every car sold), I'd still buy it. Why? Because when this legend of a man dies (and it's going to be very soon - his heart transplant was supposed to last 10 years and he's on year 13), the value of a Shelby - ANY Shelby - will skyrocket. Look at what the vintage Shelbys are going for at Barret-Jackson. Mid-high six figures. Some replicas (fakes) are going for low six figures. His Daytona Coupes are worth millions.

I own a '67 Shelby GT500 passed down from my father (original owner, mileage 15,620), and to own an '07 and a '67 in the same color, in the same garage, is certainly a dream come true for me. But my '67 will still be able to smoke my '07. 427 Tunnelport High-Rise motor baby! :burnout:

On a side note, the lack of respect I have seen on this board and others for Carroll Shelby is just astounding. I'm turning 22 in two weeks, and if a guy as young as I am can have respect for the man, I don't see why 30-somethings can't. I really think some people should read up on Carroll Shelby and learn about his accomplishments and what he did for the Muscle Car Era and racing in general. :beer:

Jpjr

Established Member
EaterofWorlds said:
Even if Shelby was getting a $5k commision (which he isn't... I doubt even Bill Ford makes that much on every car sold), I'd still buy it. Why? Because when this legend of a man dies (and it's going to be very soon - his heart transplant was supposed to last 10 years and he's on year 13), the value of a Shelby - ANY Shelby - will skyrocket. Look at what the vintage Shelbys are going for at Barret-Jackson. Mid-high six figures. Some replicas (fakes) are going for low six figures. His Daytona Coupes are worth millions.

I own a '67 Shelby GT500 passed down from my father (original owner, mileage 15,620), and to own an '07 and a '67 in the same color, in the same garage, is certainly a dream come true for me. But my '67 will still be able to smoke my '07. 427 Tunnelport High-Rise motor baby! :burnout:

On a side note, the lack of respect I have seen on this board and others for Carroll Shelby is just astounding. I'm turning 22 in two weeks, and if a guy as young as I am can have respect for the man, I don't see why 30-somethings can't. I really think some people should read up on Carroll Shelby and learn about his accomplishments and what he did for the Muscle Car Era and racing in general. :beer:

This logic is almost as silly as the original posters. If your buying any late model car with any shred of hope of calling it 'an investment', then I'd leave the stock picking to the wife ;). I agree that the Shelby name is not adding $5k to the car, but your in fantasy land if you think that a mass produced retro car (i.e., attempting to look like the original), will have any more value than any other Cobra from the last 25 years.

drmustang

Banned
The purchase of any new car and the word investment cannot be logically used in the same sentence. Only an enthusiastic fool could consider an 07 GT500 an investment. New cars depreciate rapidly, period. There have never been any "instant classics". Original Shelby modified Mustangs form the mid 60's values dropped like a rock, then after about 20 years regained their originally purchased value in good condition. Look at what a late model Mach1, ZO6, T-Bird or other soon to be a classic can be bought for currently, not even in the realm of an investment. The chances of anyone purchasing a new car and then maintaining, insuring, and storing it for the next 30-40 years is so remote that it is really not worth pondering.

Users who are viewing this thread