Visual molester
Established Member
Thanks...

Paleoc said:
Take a stab at it. Ok
2003 Mustang Cobra MSRP $33,460
2004 Mustang Cobra MSRP $34,860
-----------------------------------
1 year difference $ 1,400 (inflation or do you claim that Shelby is getting paid here too)
same frame, same basic body, same engine, same brakes, almost same interior

2004 Mustang Cobra MSRP $34,860
2007 Shelby MSRP $39,???
----------------------------------
3 year difference $ 5,000
different frame, different body, bigger engine, bigger brakes, upgraded interior

3 years x $1400 inflation = $4200 + $800 (engineering changes + $? Shelby markup).
Still quite a bit short of $5000 or can you see that looking out from your own rectum.

"Just read the C&D article....3850lbs, 57/43 weight dist., 3.31 gear, Roots blower...maybe Shelby is getting $10k...what a turd. WHAT are you getting for $40,000??? This car will only increase the value of Mustangs...03/04 Cobras Mustangs, that is."

I can see that:
2004 Mustang Cobra....3665lbs, 57/43 weight dist., 3.55 gear, Roots blower
Lets see that is 185lbs difference (smaller engine, .24 gear ratio - insignificant, the EXACT SAME weight dist and the SAME type blower - of course a smaller blower with less boost on the 2003/2004)
The older, slower cars with absolutely no advantage (other than maybe IRS) will of course become more desirable and valuable. Perfectly obvious!

Unlike most here..I appreciate a well thought out contradictory response...& see where you are coming from :beer:

I see your thinking...however, given that Shelby/HTT have both said the IRS (which you dismiss lightly, I DON'T) is a $5000 item remains un-accounted for....

Obviously, you don't think it is worth it in making your buying decision...I DO

Its..OUR..money to do as we please..no one's wrong...that's what is fun about silly toys...we only have to rationalize it to ourselves.

Nothing personal...the thread was getting stale...I just threw a little gasoline to liven it up. Enjoy your new toy....(Just don't spend $50k..OK?)

Paleoc

Established Member
"I see your thinking...however, given that Shelby/HTT have both said the IRS (which you dismiss lightly, I DON'T) is a $5000 item remains un-accounted for...."

I don't dismiss the IRS lightly as there are too many people in these forums howling about it. I grew up with SRA so I expect the occassionally misstep over a bump and am prepared for it, so you are correct in that it is not a factor in my purchase. However...
Would an IRS have cost $5000 a car? Probably not. I suspect that originally they had planned on a small run of vehicles produced (like some of the earlier cobras) and had divided their estimated engineering costs by the estimated number of vehicles produced and came out with that number. For example, If they built 2000 vehicles the cost may have been $5000 a car. At 8000 vehicles, the cost is now only $1250 a car. I don't think they originally expected the demand they are hearing now. The bean counters pointed out that they had trouble selling the previous models. Ford also didn't expect to sell nearly as many 2005 V6 mustangs or GTs either.
Another factor is that they were probably given a fixed price target. They were probably told to keep the MSRP below $40k. To do that something had to give and they chose the IRS.
After, the GT500 run is over (2 maybe 3 years) I expect the next cobra will definitely have an IRS. You may even see one on an earlier SE mustang (GT350, mach 1, boss or whatever).
I have no intention of paying $10k over MSRP. Won't happen!

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
(sigh) I'm not saying that the second I drive the car off the lot it will appreciate. That's ludicrist. What I'm saying is that, whether you respect Carroll Shelby for his accomplishments or not, whether you consider Carroll Shelby an automotive icon/legend or not, these cars WILL appreciate faster than your average SE Cobra.

C'mon, let's be honest with each other. Maybe some of you Cobra owners out there are really pissed off about that, or maybe you don't like Shelby because he walked from Ford when they screwed him. Shit man, I don't know. All I know is that every time Carroll Shelby is mentioned in any context at least ten people jump in to point out any mistakes he may have made, what blind sheep people who like his cars are, what a loser the guy is, etc. I'd especially like to rearrange the face of the guy who alluded that he was gleefully awaiting Shelby's death. You people really need to pick up a history book and R E A D about what the man has done for the automotive industry and how kind-hearted Carroll is.

You know, I could go on and on about how BORING and UNINSPIRING the Cobras of the 90s right up to '04s were (sort of how many feel about the '05 GTO), or how Mustang sales kept sinking and sinking until they brought a little Shelby back into the design. You don't see anyone on this board knocking the Cobra's shortcomings and faults, do you? No car line is perfect. You don't see people saying "keep drinking John Coleti's (sp??) kool aid, suckers," do you? There are some Cobra owners that are very jealous of the fact that the word Legend and Cobra haven't been intertwined like it has been with Carroll Shelby's name. The Cobra has yet to leave the indelible mark Carroll Shelby's successful cars have left in the automotive world. So you do the only thing you can do - knock the name and anyone who likes Shelby.

Now, some of you have touched on some good points - one of which is the availability of this car. No one has any real figures yet, but what is certain is that they will be making more than the famed GT500s of yesteryear. What I think will offset this relative "abundance" of '07s will be Carroll Shelby's eventual passing. I think that within two years of his passing (and at least five or six years after production on the cars has STOPPED), the car will begin to appreciate. If anything, it won't take as long as it did with the '60s era Shelbys, simply due to the fact that the man's namesake is already ESTABLISHED (whether you like it or not) as an automotive icon.

This doesn't mean I'm going to rush to buy the first one on the lot. Far from it. I will NEVER pay a PENNY over MSRP, I don't care how hot the car is or how much money I have.

To answer another question, I am purchasing two at once because I'm going to get a discount from the dealership I intend on doing business with this way, and, more importantly, the one I will keep as my collectable I want to be the original owner of. The more exclusive your car is (low mileage, original ownership, etc), the more valuable it will become as a collectable in the future. Of course, if this deal falls through (I never get my hopes up until I have a signed and binding CONTRACT), I'll be waiting like everyone else in hopes that markups will go away in a few months.

Can't we all stop bashing Carroll Shelby and just try to talk about the car and how lucky we are that we're in the midst of modern muscle car era?? :beer:

drmustang

Banned
Eaterofworlds, consider for a moment what the "Shelby" badge has done for the offerings listed in post #36. There were guys who likely expected these to be investments. Wrong. There is plain and simply no assembly line generated vehicle that could be logically considered an investment. Hoping to beat the S&P 500 or DJIA for 20-40 years by buying a car and sitting on it is utterly ridiculous and possibly the stupidest idea I've heard in as long as I can remember. You need a cold shower and some financial counseling.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
EaterofWorlds said:
...You don't see anyone on this board knocking the Cobra's shortcomings and faults, do you?
:dw: You need to check out the Terminator forum....lots of Cobra critics.

I think most of the Shelby bashing is derived from people who view his "name" alone as a reason for Ford to charge more for the vehicle. I think some feel that if he truly had some automotive influence on the 07 (as he had in the 60's), than perhaps the "premium" would be justified. That is just my guess after reading many of the posts you mention.

IMO...I don't care if the car said Iacocca on it...if it performs as well as "expected"...and retails as "expected" ($40k+/-)...it is a supberb value any way you slice it...Shelby or otherwise. :beer:

TheBigHrn

Established Member
For all you guys that think that holding on to this car (for however many years) that its going to appreciate into a mass amount of money????? WTF? Really, so what does that mean about the older already more desirable Shelby cars that are out there???? I doubt 30yrs from now people will want an 07 Shelby over a 67 shelby??? I mean come on if you guys had a choice right now which one you want more, which would it be?

I know my choice!!

Last edited:

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
So if we are paying Shelby $5,000 for his name, maybe he'll turn around donate it to his children’s charity. That would be the best $5,000 you ever spent.

Irish351C

Established Member
Snakebite said:
:dw: You need to check out the Terminator forum....lots of Cobra critics.

IMO...I don't care if the car said Iacocca on it...if it performs as well as "expected"...and retails as "expected" ($40k+/-)...it is a supberb value any way you slice it...Shelby or otherwise. :beer:
Agreed. It's all about the performance numbers. If they ain't there nobody's name will save it.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Where did the $5,000 go...?

Paleoc said:
I don't dismiss the IRS lightly as there are too many people in these forums howling about it. I grew up with SRA so I expect the occassionally misstep over a bump and am prepared for it, so you are correct in that it is not a factor in my purchase. However...
Would an IRS have cost $5000 a car? Probably not. I suspect that originally they had planned on a small run of vehicles produced (like some of the earlier cobras) and had divided their estimated engineering costs by the estimated number of vehicles produced and came out with that number. For example, If they built 2000 vehicles the cost may have been $5000 a car. At 8000 vehicles, the cost is now only $1250 a car. I don't think they originally expected the demand they are hearing now. The bean counters pointed out that they had trouble selling the previous models. Ford also didn't expect to sell nearly as many 2005 V6 mustangs or GTs either.
Another factor is that they were probably given a fixed price target. They were probably told to keep the MSRP below $40k. To do that something had to give and they chose the IRS.
After, the GT500 run is over (2 maybe 3 years) I expect the next cobra will definitely have an IRS. You may even see one on an earlier SE mustang (GT350, mach 1, boss or whatever).
I have no intention of paying $10k over MSRP. Won't happen!

As we are both playing fast & loose with Ford's accounting...here is my take....

First-
I have a problem with your $1400/yr...inflation...premium. What OTHER (Ford) cars reflected that increase? I THINK ...MOST....of it can be attributed to...oh...THEY SOLD MOST of the '03's; & being greedy rapacious capitalists...raised the price....swine!

Secondly-
Isn't the GT-500 based in large part on the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S platform..WITH IRS? What "engineering" costs? If Ford's market analysts can't approximate demand...what are they being paid for then? With the experience of the '03/04 Cobras..how hard could it be? The popularity of the '05 isn't indicative..its a totally different market.

Of course, $40k (should) be a max. price..they damn well better know there won't be 7000+/yr. buyers over it...even WITH a SHELBY emblem.

Point remains...there is still $5k un-accounted for.

But, like I said, that's NO reason NOT to buy it....enjoy

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
drmustang said:
Eaterofworlds, consider for a moment what the "Shelby" badge has done for the offerings listed in post #36. There were guys who likely expected these to be investments. Wrong. There is plain and simply no assembly line generated vehicle that could be logically considered an investment. Hoping to beat the S&P 500 or DJIA for 20-40 years by buying a car and sitting on it is utterly ridiculous and possibly the stupidest idea I've heard in as long as I can remember. You need a cold shower and some financial counseling.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I feel this car will hold its value better tyhan other Ford SEs. I don't expect to make a fortune on the car, but I believe in ten years or so you will be able to garner a profit on these cars.

Lay off the "financial counseling" comments. I do just fine. I've got enough to buy two GT500s. I don't need you telling me I'm a financial dolt when the computer I am typing on was bought from the money I made managing my finances. Stop being personal.

Users who are viewing this thread