Shelby Fays2 Watts Link Installed.

Zeroescence

Established Member
I just finished up my Shelby Fays2 Watts Link, What a pain in the ass! It took me 5 hours. Glad I have patience.

I went ahead and did it before the lowering springs as Jim Fay said it would be okay. It was a bitch to do on the SVTPP with the vented axle cover. Most adjustments have to be done before you bolt it up. The instructions that came with the kit were useless. In the manual it says to put on the bar then add the prop and arms, NOT going to happen! This thing needs to be installed twice. First time to get it all positioned and then pull the bar, prop and arms back out to get the rods measured to the same length. Then reinstall it with all the stuff tightened on the prop as the prop main bolt, prop top and bottom heim joint bolts, and the top prop driver side jam nut can not be tightened once the bar is mounted to the car. It was a bitch and a half.

It makes noise. Not much but enough to annoy most. It has no squeak, just a slight knock over bumps. I made sure everything was greased up where it needed to be. It does handle better and rides alittle better. I'm not quite sure it's worth the $650 yet. I have only put 20 miles on it, so that's definitely not enough. The ass end is more stable through corners and it has almost no body roll now. Just don't like extra noise.

Normally in second with the tires warm around a corner it will slide at about 25-30 mph under half throttle. Now at 35-40mph with half throttle it doesn't budge around a corner. Almost feels like my lowered evo x over dips and bumps. It is definitely better around a corner than the factory pan hard.

I actually just took it all off again to put it on the bottom hole of the bar and it handled even better. To adjust it the entire thing has to be taken out and reinstalled. Again I have a lot of patience so that helped.

I'll keep every one up to date as I put miles on her. Here are pics before I lowered it to the bottom hole.

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

Thorin

Established Member
It looks like it's in wrong, I have one in mine. Your angles don't look right and your 12:30 is on the wrong side.

R U TRIPIN

Established Member
Nice job buddy!!! Love the stands! Glad it all worked out. Keep us posted on the handling. The noise is probably the heim joints. They always make noise.

Thorin

Established Member
Your 12:30 is your center mount, from behind the car. I just spoke with Jim about this last night. Are your angles equal pos and neg? Mines 12:30 from behind with 1 deg pos and neg. I have just some noise from the left side over slow bumps, going to try again later this week tuning it. No noise at all other than that.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
once you get it tuned properly, it sure sounds like its worth the 650 for what you described already honestly....but nice job doing it yourself and the stands are epic lol, but they make perfect sense

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Looks good !! :thumbsup: Thanks for taking time to post up the pictures. Ill be hitting you up for some install advice when my car comes in.

Zeroescence

Established Member
once you get it tuned properly, it sure sounds like its worth the 650 for what you described already honestly....but nice job doing it yourself and the stands are epic lol, but they make perfect sense

Thanks Devious. Glad someone likes my stands. They are my old BMW M3 wheels. They always work like a charm.

Looks good !! :thumbsup: Thanks for taking time to post up the pictures. Ill be hitting you up for some install advice when my car comes in.

Thank you Sir. It was my pleasure. I like to do what I can to get this suf for my fellow forum members. Feel free to pm me anytime.

BossAnaki

Established Member
Thanks for sharing your install along with the pics. :rockon: This is a mod I will be doing sooner or later.

Zeroescence

Established Member
Added more grease, Adjusted it to how Jim fays said to. Also change my 12:30 as stated above, Feels exactly the same as it did before the adjustments. It still pops on driver side over dips and bumps. Its not hitting anything, clear of all obstructions. Either way it handles better. The worst part about is on the 13' SVTPP you have to remove the whole thing to adjust it properly.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Added more grease, Adjusted it to how Jim fays said to. Also change my 12:30 as stated above, Feels exactly the same as it did before the adjustments. It still pops on driver side over dips and bumps. Its not hitting anything, clear of all obstructions. Either way it handles better. The worst part about is on the 13' SVTPP you have to remove the whole thing to adjust it properly.

hate to be a pain, any chance you take video so we can hear what you hear?

Dadz500

Established Member
I have one on two of my cars and have 0 noise from it. I did not install it myself so I can't comment on that. As far as being worth the $650, all day long and then some IMO, makes a huge difference. I am actually about to order two more for my two Boss', I think they are worth every cent and Jim is great to deal with, very helpful and easily reached.

Zeroescence

Established Member
I have one on two of my cars and have 0 noise from it. I did not install it myself so I can't comment on that. As far as being worth the $650, all day long and then some IMO, makes a huge difference. I am actually about to order two more for my two Boss', I think they are worth every cent and Jim is great to deal with, very helpful and easily reached.

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. Some say they have noise some don't. It's odd. If it can go wrong or isn't normal it happens to me. So I'll post more photos once I get the springs on, than maybe more people can tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything.

Dadz500

Established Member
Yeah I don't know what the deal is. Some say they have noise some don't. It's odd. If it can go wrong or isn't normal it happens to me. So I'll post more photos once I get the springs on, than maybe more people can tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything.

I understand, that is me, always, hence the reason I didn't install myself. Had enough issues with the other parts missing/wrong etc. I have the worst luck when it comes to this kind of stuff. The things is everyone says this, so either we all have bad luck all the time or quality control really sucks on most products and many units that shouldn't have passed made it out. However, I don't think this is the issue with a Fays2, you might have something binding or not adjusted just right, but as I said I have 0 noise and the few people that I know who have them don't either so I am guessing you will get it figured out and be super happy in the end you went this route and spent the money for it. My personal feeling is it makes a HUGE difference and makes the car handle so much better allowing for more fun while giving a huge increase in self confidence and making you feel like a super star out there driving around.

Zeroescence

Established Member
I understand, that is me, always, hence the reason I didn't install myself. Had enough issues with the other parts missing/wrong etc. I have the worst luck when it comes to this kind of stuff. The things is everyone says this, so either we all have bad luck all the time or quality control really sucks on most products and many units that shouldn't have passed made it out. However, I don't think this is the issue with a Fays2, you might have something binding or not adjusted just right, but as I said I have 0 noise and the few people that I know who have them don't either so I am guessing you will get it figured out and be super happy in the end you went this route and spent the money for it. My personal feeling is it makes a HUGE difference and makes the car handle so much better allowing for more fun while giving a huge increase in self confidence and making you feel like a super star out there driving around.

I hope so cause I'm pretty depressed about hearing you and people you know don't have the noise issue. I'll keep everyone in the loop on this one.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Good luck with getting everything adjusted.

Can anyone comment on what this unit does for the GT500? I am assuming it is a replacement for the panhard bar? And does a better job of keeping the rear tires planted? And works with the existing 3 link?

Is it mainly with "road course" type handling where it shines?

Does it do anything for drag racing?

How much weight does it add?

Any welding necessary for the install?

Last edited:

Zeroescence

Established Member
Good luck with getting everything adjusted.

Can anyone comment on what this unit does for the GT500? I am assuming it is a replacement for the panhard bar? And does a better job of keeping the rear tires planted? And works with the existing 3 link?

Yes it replaces the panhard bar. Definitely more planted. It makes the car more even when doing left to right turns. way more stable through corners.

Is it mainly with "road course" type handling where it shines?

I would say it can shine anywhere you like to use throttle while cornering as it keeps the rear so balanced and planted.

Does it do anything for drag racing?

From what I hear it reduces wheel hop and tire spin under heavy acceleration.

How much weight does it add?

Mine weighed in at 28 lbs.

Any welding necessary for the install?

No Sir.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread