Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I don't own one (yet) but I imagine it will be run with an electric pump. That's how track coolers are normally done. I'm sure there's a place to plumb a pair of lines and hang a pump.

CO Mack

Established Member
The 15/16 Track/R trans has an internal gerotor pump, the Base/Tech does not. Not sure exactly why Ford has not already released with an electric pump for the trans cooling, it doesn't seem too hard, but they are working on it and will release something for the Base/Tech cars.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
As would be expected, there is a limit to the budget that Ford Racing has earmarked for transmission cooling kit. As such, I'd venture to guess that much of their testing will be done locally and that part of the delay is related to the winter weather and the fact that they weren't able to test.

Next time I have my GT350 (Track Pack) up in the air I'll try to get some shots of the hardware that you wouldn't see on a Tech Pack non-R model and compare it to shots I took of the TR3160 transmission I had. The pump is indeed internal.

CO Mack

Established Member
As would be expected, there is a limit to the budget that Ford Racing has earmarked for transmission cooling kit. As such, I'd venture to guess that much of their testing will be done locally and that part of the delay is related to the winter weather and the fact that they weren't able to test.

I kinda doubt that is the main hold up. There's software integration, factory expectations of fit and function, and the need for the average dealer tech to be able to install it in a modest amount of time, I get it's not trivial. Just not sure why it's so hard, either.

Next time I have my GT350 (Track Pack) up in the air I'll try to get some shots of the hardware that you wouldn't see on a Tech Pack non-R model and compare it to shots I took of the TR3160 transmission I had. The pump is indeed internal.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mack, they aren't even there yet. As I said, they have to thoroughly test first.

These things take time and Ford Racing doesn't have a massive budget just for this "kit."

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mack, they can design all they want. They can virtual test all they want.

Verification takes time and as I said, much of it may be done locally. It has already been shared that Ford Racing engineers were trying to piece together at least two different kits. With hardware selection out of the way, they can start to test, log, and take it from there.

CO Mack

Established Member
It's been a month since I had emails on it, but at that time FP engineering did not lead me to believe they were waiting on verification, it was a systems integration hold up.

Missed the part about two solutions, where is that posted?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you can't find it I'll dig something up when I have a moment.

This is probably going to take longer than many think. Ford Racing isn't going to be rushed into a premature solution that doesn't meet expectation.

krt22

Established Member
It's been a month since I had emails on it, but at that time FP engineering did not lead me to believe they were waiting on verification, it was a systems integration hold up.

Missed the part about two solutions, where is that posted?
From what I remember they were looking at 2 kits. THe first was basically the full OEM swap, tranny, lines, cooler, etc

The 2nd was using an electric pump. Would be manually operated via switch

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
From Rick at TMO (also a member here)

Here's the latest I received today. Ford is very aware of the concerns with the base and tech pack owners that are disappointed that they cannot track their cars for very long. The solution will be complete but you'll need to be patient. I have great confidence that Ford will do this correctly and provide a solution that will solve the overheating issues. My read on this is the kits will be available after July 1st at the earliest.

"1. We are putting together a couple of packages to help. One will be all of the OEM trans parts. The track pack/R trans, lines, heat exchanger, brackets and fasteners. We are looking to offer it at a discount from the price one would have to pay when trying to piece it together at a dealership. It still won’t be cheap. But it will be a good easy fix.

2. Next, we are investigating a package that adds an external electric pump along with modified production plumbing and the production heat exchanger. We have it wired to just a switch that the operator would need to manually control.

We will be testing system number 2 pretty soon to verify function. But it will be quite a while before we can have it in production.

There is also a diff cooler kit based on the production parts with a manual switch in the works that will be tested at the same time. Also likely months from production."

The above was from a post on March 7, 2016.

GT_Dave

The electric pump option would most likely require some modification to the trans housing. I have checked with FP and they suggest using the fill and drain plugs for the cooling line connections. The drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission and any connection there would easily be subject to damage. There is a cast in port on the side/bottom of the case in the rear that could be drilled and tapped for the hose connection. This location would be a better spot for circulation and safer for the hose port. A better place for the input port would be towards the front of the transmission, unfortunately there are no obvious good locations on the housing for that hose connection. It will be interesting to see what the Ford engineers come up with for the trans cooler option.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I asked Mike at Buyfordracing to put in an order when this looked like it was going to happen. I then talked to him today when it popped up on their site. He originally recommended I wait before piecing together a service kit.

Glad I took his advice and waited.��

And thanks FRP for listening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread