Shelby GT350R Jay Leno's Garage

BlownAway03

Established Member
That's probably about the most action a 2015 R will see. And is it me, or does Jay seem misinformed in every video? He seems shocked this car has 4 cams. Guess he hasn't heard of a 96 Cobra.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It freakin' figures that Jay Leno got one of the '15s! haha I was gonna say they probably gave it to him, but he said he paid for it himself.

And not to be an I-told-you-so, but I remember some months ago when I said I bet the 5.2 FPC was considered for the GT supercar. The resident "insider" said that was never a consideration. Welp, here in this very video, Jamal Hameedi himself said they considered putting it in the GT supercar!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That's probably about the most action a 2015 R will see. And is it me, or does Jay seem misinformed in every video? He seems shocked this car has 4 cams. Guess he hasn't heard of a 96 Cobra.

Hardly. Jay is a great guy, has a thousand(s) cars, and knows tons about each of them. He might get this wrong here or that wrong there, but in general he's a great car guy and really just an awesome person.

He has more more mustangs and has had more with 4 valves than most of us on this site. He likes to play Columbo. Soft spoken, but he knows the ins and outs far more than he lets on.

One surprise was Jamal not correcting the ci to 322 (edit 315) but hey, it's an honestly insignificant detail. He did stand up for the 526hp. They fought hard for every hp. I would have as well. No sarcasm, those teams have hugely enveloped guidelines and regulations to meet, and still find ways to get 526hp an out of a 5.2L with an fpc, with emissions compliance. Impressive.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Honestly, r's have been flogged so hard at track days and by owners already that it's a recalcitrant statement to say they will not be driven hard. It's already happened so whatever, believe what you want.

Shelbyman

Established Member
Who really knows....

One surprise was Jamal not correcting the ci to 322, but hey, it's an honestly insignificant detail. He did stand up for the 526hp. They fought hard for every hp. I would have as well. No sarcasm, those teams have hugely enveloped guidelines and regulations to meet, and still find ways to get 526hp an out of a 5.2L with an fpc, with emissions compliance. Impressive.

Just for the sake of accuracy my supplement owners manual says the cubic inches is 315 but even that isn't completely accurate if the engine is really 5.2 liters. 5.2 L = 317.32 Soooooooooo in the end its somewhere around there. :shrug:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Just for the sake of accuracy my supplement owners manual says the cubic inches is 315 but even that isn't completely accurate if the engine is really 5.2 liters. 5.2 L = 317.32 Soooooooooo in the end its somewhere around there. :shrug:
Just do the math with the bore and stroke

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
5163cc or 5.163L...

those .037L would have been slackers anyways, and been detrimental to stability/longevity.

So this mill actually makes 101.8hp/L vs 101.5hp/L.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It freakin' figures that Jay Leno got one of the '15s! haha I was gonna say they probably gave it to him, but he said he paid for it himself.

And not to be an I-told-you-so, but I remember some months ago when I said I bet the 5.2 FPC was considered for the GT supercar. The resident "insider" said that was never a consideration. Welp, here in this very video, Jamal Hameedi himself said they considered putting it in the GT supercar!

:rollseyes

He said they "talked about it." There was a legitimate holy war during the 05/06 program on what engine would go in the car. The discussion about what engine would power the new GT was over pretty much instantly, and before the car had taken shape. The 5.2L as it exists today had zero chance of being in the GT and would have required significant costly alterations.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
:rollseyes

He said they "talked about it." There was a legitimate holy war during the 05/06 program on what engine would go in the car. The discussion about what engine would power the new GT was over pretty much instantly, and before the car had taken shape. The 5.2L as it exists today had zero chance of being in the GT and would have required significant costly alterations.

What was the other option for 05/06?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What was the other option for 05/06?

I'm sure he'll chime in with the correct answer.

On a side note, the gt500 of 07 was supposed to get a 6.0-7.0L na 4v v8 with 500hp, and an irs, but budget cuts resulted in a far less expensive undertaking and execution.

It wouldn't surprise me if the na v8 was talked about in 2002/3 and planned for the centennial ford gt and gt500 successor, but had to be dropped.

It is really nice that ford did a bespoke 5.4 aluminum mill for the gt. No shame to be had in rearranging your operations to use your own finances and capabilities/partners to keep your doors open. GM in the same time period decided to stay on their course, and just ask the American tax payer for a bailout. They "paid" it "all" back but it just shows poor tact/character.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Primary legitimate option was N/A V10. Some wanted N/A V8 but that wasn't really seriously considered. Ultimately ended up going with the 5.4L SC because they wanted something powerful, bulletproof, and high margin. 6.4L aluminum V10 was in the follow-on GR-1 and Cobra roadster concepts, but was unlikely for production in those either.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Primary legitimate option was N/A V10. Some wanted N/A V8 but that wasn't really seriously considered. Ultimately ended up going with the 5.4L SC because they wanted something powerful, bulletproof, and high margin. 6.4L aluminum V10 was in the follow-on GR-1 and Cobra roadster concepts, but was unlikely for production in those either.

I'm not really a fan of how V10s sound unless they come from Italy, so I'm glad it ended up with the 5.4.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
:rollseyes:

He said they "talked about it." ...

That still means it was considered. Otherwise, why even bring it up as a talking point; just to extend the meeting?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That still means it was considered. Otherwise, why even bring it up as a talking point; just to extend the meeting?

Ok, well now you've made me waste my time to look this shit up.

Here's what you said:

Think "halo car."

<puts on aluminum foil cap>
I'd bet money that, somewhere in the bowels of Ford, this engine was probably originally being developed for the new Ford GT, but it couldn't meet the HP goals they had in mind for that car while still being streetable. So they slyly slid it on over to the GT350 program and made it out like that's where it was intended to go all along. I seem to remember talk of a direct injected Coyote in the works way back in 2011. Maybe that one was meant for the GT350, but after the 5.2 didn't cut the mustard for the FGT, it got repurposed for the GT350.

<puts foil cap back in the box>

And here's what I replied:

Nice theory, but wrong. 5.2L was being tested in the real world for GT350 before Ford GT was even under consideration as a program.

Just to slake your thirst for knowledge, the Hummingbird program and Voodoo engine were already well underway and being tested in the real world in mid-2013. I even got to spend a day up at the DDC providing ancillary services related to the engine that spring. That was before the PHX program even existed. The 3.5L was introduced as the powertrain for the IMSA DP car in October 2013, with the knowledge it would end up powering the GT. If you feel like based on the above quotes and that information you deserve an "I told you so," have at it.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The Ford executive in charge of the program saying on video that they "thought about it" versus some guy on the internet that I don't know and will never meet. Hmm... Tough choice.

<rumbling in the distance is the sound of a Blackhawk approaching to deliver the E-bro Sniper Squad onto the scene.>

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
You're presenting a completely false choice. Look at your own quote from above and my answer. You can read right? Your own words are not remotely what you're now trying to portray.

Your hypothesis was that the 5.2L was developed for GT and then shuffled to 350, which I said was wrong. Which it demonstrably is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread