shift points? Going to track tonight please help!

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm going to the track tonight and I am looking to get into the 11s if at all possible. I've been to the track many times before and I was just looking to get some advise from people running around the same mods as me that are pulling faster times. My best time is a 12.1 and i've been shifting pretty much almost at redline. I know alot of people say that isn't the best with a unported eaton so when should i be shifting? I have nitto 555r tires, and 4.10 gears. so shifting at redline puts me just BARELY hitting the limiter in 4th gear going through the traps. Any advise would be great appreciated! Thanks!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Even if you have an upper only for an uported Eaton that's to many rpm's to shift at.

Here's my guess for both Upper only and Upper/Lower combo...

Upper

1st to 2nd 6,200
2nd to 3rd 6,200
3rd to 4th 6,000
4th to 5th (lol) 5,800

Upper/Lower combo

1st to 2nd 5,800
2nd to 3rd 5,800
3rd to 4th 5,600
4th to 5th 5,500 or close to it.

Maybe lower than that depending on your pulley combo.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Oh and cool that car down! Bigtime and you'll get your 11's easily. Good luck and let us know how you do.

ericyow

Established Member
I have upper only and my dyno sheet has me at 5800 peak hp. Off the spray I make 450rwhp/524tq, so we're not too far off. I agree that redline is too high. If you're taching out 4th at the 1/4 mark, I would tend to think that 4.10 might be too tall for our cars - or so I've heard.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Agreed but if he's got them and wants to run he's gotta use 5th.

I run 4.10's in my car but with a 28" slick. Seem to work pretty good so far.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
thanks for the advice guys! Yea the previous owner had the 4.10 gears installed. So I have to deal with them for now at least. I'll definatly try shifting sooner and see what happens! I really want 11s! Thanks again!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Maybe get some 28" tall tires/slicks and keep those gears. I love mine so far.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Maybe get some 28" tall tires/slicks and keep those gears. I love mine so far.

I don't feel i am making enough power to justify that kinda setup. LOL I guess I gotta start practicing shifting from 4-5th quickly! lol Thanks again! I am excited! :rockon:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well how'd you do?

You could run the 28"er's also because your IRS will love you for it.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Well it didn't go so well... LOL the stock clutch finally had enough of my abuse and couldn't hold the launches anymore. Best run was a 12.5! LOL so i guess its time to bit the bullet and get a new clutch! I knew this was coming i was just hoping for one more set of runs before it gave out! Oh well thats life! Thanks for your help everyone. I was shifting earlier and that felt good, but in the end it couldn't help a slipping clutch!

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I shift mine at 5900-6000 with my setup. Any lower and it slowed me down, any higher the iats just increased

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread