Shift to 2nd gear 'clunk'....?

Dandy

Established Member
Well, I have had my car almost a year, it is a 2010 gt500 with about 7900 miles. On my way to the wal-marts tonight, I finally turned off the traction control and whaled on it. I scared the stuffing out of my brother and the rear tires were screaming.

However, I did this twice and every time (under hard throttle) that I shifted into 2nd and released the clutch a loud 'clunk' sounded from underneath the car. The clunk came from almost directly behind the front seats (it seamed, could have been farther back I suppose) and it didn't really sound like metal on metal, more like if there had been something lose in the trunk (but there isn't, we looked). It was hard to tell if this happened on the clutch release or the return to throttle from the clutch release. It happened first when the car was a little sideways and the second time the car was straight and not spinning as much tire.

I have driven the car hard with the traction control on and never experienced this noise before. The only mod to the car are the Borla mufflers that were put on recently. They do not appear lose after words and the car drove normally the entire ride home. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

EvilSnake

Established Member
If your "clunk" is anything like my "clunk"....

I only have a guess, but here it is- Upper control arms. I can't fully explain it but I read something on another forum a while back and it sounded similar to my problem, which sounds a bit like your problem. I can make mine clunk going into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. Gotta be quick shifting at high Rpm to do it. I find that if I time my clutch foot/gas foot better and don't get on the gas too quick (until the clutch is fully released) I don't experience the clunk.

Users who are viewing this thread