Shifter help

JackisBack

Established Member
Need recommendations for a shifter on the 03 Cobra. I switched out the stock for a pro50 shifter and tri-ax handle trying to get the knob closer. I am actually trying to mimick the setup that Saleen uses or at least achieve the same positioning. Their setup gets the knob at least an inch taller so that in 3rd gear you have to point your finger down to reach the radio presets vs straight ahead in the Cobra. Also in the Saleen setup in third gear the knob is much closer to me so I don't have to make a long sidearm throw to 3rd. Anybody out there know how to achieve this?

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by JackisBack
Need recommendations for a shifter on the 03 Cobra. I switched out the stock for a pro50 shifter and tri-ax handle trying to get the knob closer. I am actually trying to mimick the setup that Saleen uses or at least achieve the same positioning. Their setup gets the knob at least an inch taller so that in 3rd gear you have to point your finger down to reach the radio presets vs straight ahead in the Cobra. Also in the Saleen setup in third gear the knob is much closer to me so I don't have to make a long sidearm throw to 3rd. Anybody out there know how to achieve this?

I don't know if the results would be exactly what you are looking for because I haven't set mine up with that in mind. However, I had good results using the MGW adjustable shifter handle. It is adjustable for angle and height. I topped that off with the MGW T-Shift knob and I'm hooked on this combination. I hope this helps, good luck.

Link To MGW Website

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Re: Shifter help

Originally posted by Annihil8or
I don't know if the results would be exactly what you are looking for because I haven't set mine up with that in mind. However, I had good results using the MGW adjustable shifter handle. It is adjustable for angle and height. I topped that off with the MGW T-Shift knob and I'm hooked on this combination. I hope this helps, good luck.
I went this route for about two month with pretty good results. However, even though the handle helped position the shifter closer to me, the shifter action didn't improve. After a few missed shifts I installed a Tri-Ax (with the MGW handle) and couldn't be happier. Great handle position now with no missed shifts.
:beer:

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Cobra Bob

Originally posted by CobraBob
I went this route for about two month with pretty good results. However, even though the handle helped position the shifter closer to me, the shifter action didn't improve. After a few missed shifts I installed a Tri-Ax (with the MGW handle) and couldn't be happier. Great handle position now with no missed shifts.

I was not suggesting using the MGW Adjustable Shifter Handle with the stock shifter, Bob. He already had the Pro 5.0 shifter with a Triax handle.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was using the MGW handle on a stock shifter. I have mine installed on a UPR Blue Thunder Shifter which is identical to the Triax. The stock shifter did not offer the performance I was looking for (an understatement).

The Triax/Blue Thunder and MGW make a very precise and comfortable combination, I haven't missed 3rd or 5th once since I put them in. The shifter has a very positive and solid feel.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by JackisBack
This is PERFECT!

Good deal! Glad that worked out. After I added the adjustable shift handle I also installed an MGW "T-Shift" knob just because I like the "T" style, it is reminiscent of the Hurst shifter I had in my high school hot rod but obviously much nicer. Now I couln't be happier with the way the car shifts and the proximity of the shift handle is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread