shifter slop/play.....................and drag racers using gen 2 mgw in here

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've been watching a few videos and in a bit I will upload a vid of the stock shifter in my GT500, this is the vid I've watch a few times now and a few years back when the gen 2 mgw came out:

(about 6:45 in)

Now even when my stock GT500 shifter was newer I don't remember my shifter being that sloppy when in gear, I now have solid bushings in the fork and a KR mount and the video that I will have here soon will show the play/slop that I have. Was the shifter in a 2012 GT500 THAT BAD????

2nd q is simple...………..if you drag race and you put a MGW Gen 2 shifter in your car did it fix/solve your 1-2 grind and high rpm lockout WITHOUT a WOT box? Just want a simple answer yes or no. I don't want to hear for ex. "only if I shift at 5000 rpm or so and I have to carefully shift it etc etc", the gen 2 either fixes the issue or it doesn't.

I'm trying to decide whether it is justifiable to spend the cash on getting one.

Tony (vid coming of my stock shifter slop later this aftn.)

Last edited:

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
There are 2 fixes for 2nd gear grind and lock out
1) Buy a T56 Magnum XL
2) If you keep 6060, have RPM Transmission or Ben Calimer build it

It'll be cheaper to sell your 6060 and buy an XL

Cman01

hello
Established Member
1.) sorry, not going there.

2.) not pulling it out just for a rebuild...……...only if I need a clutch and only if the trans gets trashed.

Then basically you are saying Gen 2 MGW doesn't solve the above issues??

My vid is up!!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No shifter can completely fix transmission design/mechanical flaws. That's why people have them built, or swap to a Magnum XL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's correct, Travis. I remember back around 1996 I had a phone conversation with a Borg-Warner engineer because I was having a gear slop issue with my 1994 Camaro's T-56. During the conversation I asked him why the Corvette T-56 didn't have the same slop issue. His answer was as expected. The Camaro, being a lower cost GM product couldn't afford the higher cost engineering that went into the Vette's transmission. So it was compromised in a number of areas, one of them being gear slop.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
That's correct, Travis. I remember back around 1996 I had a phone conversation with a Borg-Warner engineer because I was having a gear slop issue with my 1994 Camaro's T-56. During the conversation I asked him why the Corvette T-56 didn't have the same slop issue. His answer was as expected. The Camaro, being a lower cost GM product couldn't afford the higher cost engineering that went into the Vette's transmission. So it was compromised in a number of areas, one of them being gear slop.
An example of quantity over quality. Pathetic.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pathetic? How so? The '03-'04 Cobra saw a number of engineering compromises to keep the sticker where Ford wanted it. Like traction control, just to name one. Happens all the time. A higher cost transmission could have been installed on the '94 Camaro but that would have pushed the sticker price north of what was acceptable by GM, or other compromises would have been required. Most vehicles experience engineering compromises due to cost constraints. No vehicle is perfectly executed.

Cman01

hello
Established Member

I had a 96 Formula bought new and I never felt any slop in the stock shifter on the T-56 6 sp. trans, that trans has a shifter that bolted into the trans tailshaft housing like a T5 and the Magnum XL. During that time I actually replaced the stock shifter setup in the Formula with a B&M Ripper and it shorten the throws significantly. Didn't really have a problem shifting that T56 with the stock shifter and with the B&M just made it better.

So far I have not heard from anyone here that drag races and installed a Gen 2 to say whether or not the shifter solved their lockout problems............from my video you can see that I have nowhere the play/slop in my stock shifter like what was shown in the MGW one................the stock shifter in the 2012 car.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Pathetic? How so? The '03-'04 Cobra saw a number of engineering compromises to keep the sticker where Ford wanted it. Like traction control, just to name one. Happens all the time. A higher cost transmission could have been installed on the '94 Camaro but that would have pushed the sticker price north of what was acceptable by GM, or other compromises would have been required. Most vehicles experience engineering compromises due to cost constraints. No vehicle is perfectly executed.
I understand the idea and reasoning, I just have a hard time excusing known problems just to save a small amount.

Sure, every penny adds up, and it takes away from the estimated profit margin expected, but that small loss by the accounting dept expectations would be worth a better vehicle. When it comes to mechanical parts in today's manufacturing era, we can produce high volumes of parts needed at high tolerances, and keep the costs down in comparison to what the aftermarket has to offer to correct an issue that is built into a car to appease the bean counters.

Of course this is my opinion concerning mass produced vehicles. I understand that some corners will be cut for many reasons, but there are some areas of a vehicle's manufacturing process that deserve a greater level of attention and detail. The drivetrain is the heart and soul of a vehicle, as is the suspension.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Cman01

hello
Established Member
That XL costs $4200.00 bucks or so in the FR catalog.......................seriously Ford easily could've sourced the XL from Tremec to install at the factory level for our cars and we wouldn't have this stupid problem with the semi remote mounted shifter. I would pay a tiny premium to not have to deal with this current BS of a shifter setup when I bought my car new.

Last edited:

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
1.) sorry, not going there.

2.) not pulling it out just for a rebuild...……...only if I need a clutch and only if the trans gets trashed.

Then basically you are saying Gen 2 MGW doesn't solve the above issues??

Correct. Sell your 6060 for good money or build it. Many of people have claimed to fix 2nd gear and I have personally bought every mod to fix it to no avail.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The blunt answer is no, it did not eliminate the grind on its own. There was a MARKED improvement from the factory shifter in shift feel and quality and it even REDUCED the instances of 1-2 grind in addition to upgraded synthetic transmission fluid.

However, the root cause is the factory synchronizer rings. The factory only had carbon fiber on one side of the ring. The updated parts engineered and available from Tremec feature carbon on both parts of the rings.

The TR6060 is mechanically similar to the Magnum XL except for output shaft/flange and shifter mount.

According to my local Tremec dealer, the factory Camaro and Challenger TR6060's are having the same issues. They both feature trans mounted direct shifters.

I am unsure if new production Magnum XLs already have the hybrids in them, but a call to Tremec may be able to clear that up.

In my opinion, knowing what I know, Id opt to rebuild the transmission with hybrid synchros 1-4 before getting an MGW 2. If you plan on racing half mile or Texas Mile events, they make the hybrids for 5th and 6th as well.

That said, the MGW 2 is worth every penny they charge for it. There is literally no better shifting solution available on the market.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree with above. Only notable great times I can remember were Jordan Weir Racing running 9s with an MGW Gen2
I did the XL swap for drag SFI Bell and direct mount shifter but only had 2nd gear lock out at track a few rare times
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
J you had the 2nd gear lockout even with the XL at the track or with the 6060 BEFORE you swapped to the XL?

Please clarify.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry Tony I know that wasn't clear.
I only had second gear lock out a few rare times with the stock 6060.
I actually liked the stock trans especially after the fluid swap and only switched to XL for drag race intentions of SFI bell and nice benefit of direct mount shifter.
I've never missed a gear with XL
-J

Users who are viewing this thread