Shifters: opinion from folks who've lived with them for abit now

Mowgli

Established Member
I've reached my limit of tolerance with the stock shifter, and even though putting on the MGW handle bought me about a year of driving with it, I just can't stand it any longer. So I've been going thru all the old threads on shifters and have narrowed it down to either the Tri-ax or the Pro5.0 (surprise). I think I'll be happy with either new, so my questions become this:

To those folks who installed theirs last year or some while ago - how has it treated you since?
Opinions on the Pro5.0 or Triax after a long period of (rough, easy) usage?
Have you had to go back in and adjust/change/fix anything?
Anyone mate the shifter to the MGW handle? (I'm fond of the adjustability and solid build the MGW piece provides)

Thanks for any feedback.
Mike

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't make yourself crazy on a decision. LOL! Any of the aftermarket shifter will work fine. And they're all tough. I've heard of a couple of aluminum handles breaking but it is rare. A steel handle is less apt to break of course. But again, probably 99% of the aluminum handles will take abuse in stride. Otherwise these companies would all be making steel handles. Here are the companies I know of who make great shifters.
Kirban, Pro 5.0, TriAx, UPR Blue Thunder, Hurst. And the MWG handle is highly recommended simply because it offers a wider range of positioning options.
:)

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Mowgli - I'm with you, I am tired of the long throw stock shifter and am ready for an aftermarket shifter. I had a tri-ax on my 02GT and it was awesome besides the added noise from the tranny. However, there is an article in "5.0 December", on a Tri-Ax install on an 03 Cobra and they used a urethane bushing with the install to cut the noise down. Has anyone used this? Good question Mowgli on long-term opinions of aftermarket shifters so lets hear it fellas. Chime in anytime....

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
I have a tri-ax with the MGW handle and a Voodoo knob. I tried different handles and knobs, and the largest difference for me came from putting a solid heavy knob on the shifter. With the lightweight knobs, the vibration and noise seem more pronounced. You can't go wrong with either the Pro5.0 or the Tri-ax. :thumbsup:

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Yeah, dont go crazy trying to pick a shifter. They're pretty much all the same. I prefer the Pro 5.0, just the way it feels. I had the TriAx for a year and had the Pro 5.0 for a year, and prefer the Pro 5.0. If you've never driven a car with a shifter, they all feel the same, but after a while, then it comes down to preference, but then again the differences arent major. Just handle position etc. I like the feeling of the tri-ax handle, so I have that on my Pro 5.0 shifter with the stock shift knob.

kaos

Established Member
I bought my car with the Steeda already installed so that's all I know, but I sat in another cobra with the stock shifter and just played with it and I don't how I would be able to handle that. The next time I buy a car that will be my first mod.

FYI This car is the only car that I've ever driven with a short throw. It makes driving a manual so much better, I wish I would have done this years ago.

King03Cobra

Established Member
However, there is an article in "5.0 December", on a Tri-Ax install on an 03 Cobra and they used a urethane bushing with the install to cut the noise down.

I don't have any additional noise, I also used the stock rubber boot to fit over the base of the shifter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by BigBeez03
Mowgli - I'm with you, I am tired of the long throw stock shifter and am ready for an aftermarket shifter. I had a tri-ax on my 02GT and it was awesome besides the added noise from the tranny. However, there is an article in "5.0 December", on a Tri-Ax install on an 03 Cobra and they used a urethane bushing with the install to cut the noise down. Has anyone used this? Good question Mowgli on long-term opinions of aftermarket shifters so lets hear it fellas. Chime in anytime....
I saw that article as well. The urethane gasket is a smart thing to do if you can get the material. The aftermarkets transmit more noise than the stock shifter because they have rubber insulators (which contribute to the sloppy shifting).

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I love my Pro 5.0. I've had it for about a year, and I have no complaints. Shifters are 20 times better than stock. I say get the Pro 5.0, and just put your handle on there.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I just ordered the UPR Blue Thunder yesterday. I am expecting it tomorrow if I'm lucky. My research indicated that this is virtually identical to the tri-ax, less expensive, and has the shift knob positioned much closer to the driver. I'm anxious to see how big a difference this makes. I also, got the 3 hook quadrant and firewall adjuster. Hopefully I will cut some serious times off of my shifts.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by esqeddy
I just ordered the UPR Blue Thunder yesterday. I am expecting it tomorrow if I'm lucky. My research indicated that this is virtually identical to the tri-ax, less expensive, and has the shift knob positioned much closer to the driver.
You won't be dissapointed. Good choice. :beer:

svtwillie

Established Member
I have the triax and the mgw shifter and T handle. Love them. I have banged it hard and never missed a shift. The dyno guy said it was the best shifter he has used on any cobra he has dyno'd.

bill

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I've had both the Steeda TRI-AX and the PRO 5.0. I started with the Steeda and changed to the PRO 5.0 about 5 months ago. Both are great quality and don't feel there is much difference in up-shifting between the two. Where I do notice a difference is in down-shifting. Whenever I would down-shift from sixth or fourth to third, I couldn't get the TRI-AX to shift smoothly it was like I would hit a wall, I would have to wiggle it to get it to go into third. IMO, the PRO 5.0 down-shifts much better in that aspect...

NC Cobra

Established Member
I spent an agonizing 5 minutes deciding which shifter to buy. The shop I was in had the PRO 5.0 in stock. Decision made - had the shifter installed while I watched Dyno pulls. This is the best mod, bang-for-the-buck, since I got the Cobra a year ago. I might try a different handle, I'm 5'7", a little more setback would be perfect.
In the list of shifters given there is probably no bad choice. All are light years better that stock which was designed for noise isolation.

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Based on this I think I'm safe shopping for price and just getting that (although i'm leaning Pro 5.0 because of hte downshift comment).

Any hoo - I'll be mating it up to my MGW handle. Now as to the noise, interesting point about the heavier shifter knob contributing to noise reduction via less vibration. I know its definitely that way on motorcycle handlebars, just taking off those tiny weights at the ends will result in a huge amount of buzz. So I currently am using the stock shifter knob on the MGW - I like the look, but due to the MGW not doglegging upward, the knob sits at a backward angle which doesn't help comfort and precise shifting. Any ideas on decent knob replacements?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Pro 5.0-happy with it. MGW handle, not so happy. Last at the track, I had the handle adjusted so out of touch it cost a few tenths in the quarter. I'm gonna switch back to stock handle and see how that feels, but the shifter is ok. Just a touch of additional noise, but unless you drive on new blacktop with fresh tires with the radio off on a non-windy day, you really won't notice it, especially when you hit 3k rpms.

MTI LS1

My Pro 5.0 has a real notchy feel which I really like. You can bang it in hard and it feels real good. But you cant go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread