Shifters

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Anyone planning on a MGW or Steeda or staying stock? Discuss!

i love my barton. it feels perfect.... and for what its worth my stock one was extremely worn out and felt noticable sloppier after around 900 miles(after 300 in town break in miles i started really hit the gears for that new 600) and was getting worse till i put the barton in and saw why it felt like crap at 4k miles

ViciousJay

Established Member
i love my barton. it feels perfect.... and for what its worth my stock one was extremely worn out and felt noticable sloppier after around 900 miles(after 300 in town break in miles i started really hit the gears for that new 600) and was getting worse till i put the barton in and saw why it felt like crap at 4k miles

is there a way to raise the handles on these aftermarket shifters. I dont want the short feel i want it to be a little higher.

mine lately has felt a little sluggish like i can feel it turn a 1/8 of an inch by finger's touch, this is the shifter handle not the knob

Last edited:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
is there a way to raise the handles on these aftermarket shifters. I dont want the short feel i want it to be a little higher.

Mine lately has felt a little sluggish like i can feel it turn a 1/8 of an inch by finger's touch the shifter handle not the knob

+1

AmnDucky

Established Member
MGW needs to hurry the hell up. I see everyone talking about the Barton, but it doesn't look like it has new bushing or linkages. And the MGW is cheaper.

MGW (for the 2010)
2010%20Mustang%20GT%20Stock%20Handle%20lr.jpg

Barton
0_0_0_0_342_359_csupload_24023671.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
MGW needs to hurry the hell up. I see everyone talking about the Barton, but it doesn't look like it has new bushing or linkages. And the MGW is cheaper.

MGW (for the 2010)
2010%20Mustang%20GT%20Stock%20Handle%20lr.jpg

Barton
0_0_0_0_342_359_csupload_24023671.jpg

the MGW doesnt look like above.... from what has been shared on another forum it looks like the Barton and Steeda

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Steeda for the record, best in the business. Watch the vid at Steeda.com
Customer service is top notch and Steeda only uses billet aluminum

AmnDucky

Established Member
Steeda for the record, best in the business. Watch the vid at Steeda.com
Customer service is top notch and Steeda only uses billet aluminum

Of course a video on Steeda's website is going to say that they are the best. And most companies only use billet aluminum.

AmnDucky

Established Member
is that good or bad? i def dont want a notchy shifter again

The shorter throw? I personally feel like that is a good thing. I would probably take the Barton over the MGW if the MGW comes in at 20% like the Steeda. But if the MGW comes in at 40% like the Barton, with the third gear spring assist like the Steeda, then MGW all the way.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The shorter throw? I personally feel like that is a good thing. I would probably take the Barton over the MGW if the MGW comes in at 20% like the Steeda. But if the MGW comes in at 40% like the Barton, with the third gear spring assist like the Steeda, then MGW all the way.

here's what he posted, looks like it will only be 15-20% but a totally new design, maybe your pic is right
hey guys,

just wanted to let you guys in on some info as i am getting close to finalizing the testing and design of our 2011 shifter.

first... the THROW....

as you guys know that have your cars already the new stock tranny is kinda odd in that the side to side travel is VERY short while the front to back is not as short as it should be but close....

this is just the way it was designed sooo...i originally designed the shifter much like our corvette shifters to have a double pinion design rather than a pivot ball to shorten the throw front to back and not side to side...i was shooting for about 30-35 percent reduction in throw....

NOT A GOOD IDEA...

apparently the new tranny that ford is using is not as robust as the TREMEC was and we have found that anything more than about 15-20 percent reduction in throw is going to have issues with lockout and also wear on the synchros of this transmission. i have been testing and researching this transmission for a LONNGGGG time and talked with various engineers on this project so i am VERY firm on my opinion of this.

after trying countless combinations of shifting throws i decided that to be honest the THROW of the oem unit is not that bad and actually for both roadcourse and drag racing the effort is pretty spot on...

BUT.where the factory unit falls flat on its face is DEFLECTION!!! it is HORRIBLE!!! the stock box UNDER the shifter has to be replaced and the rear support bracket is a joke!!! it has zip ties around a rubber mount for petes sake!!!

so in the end what i am designing is going to be basically a 15-20 percent reduction with ADDITIONAL spring back to neutral for the drag racers out there. with a COMPLETE replacement to the entire unit under the boot.

so if you guys are hung up on a super short throw then you might want to look elsewhere BUT i can assure you the shifting will be faster with our setup

stay tuned for more info and pics around the holiday break!!

george

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Hurst is suppose to be coming out with a shifter for the 2011 Mustang in the near future.

Click here for some details.

Photo Gallery...........................Website............................Modifications
gotimesig.jpg

Have a great day eh !________________________________________Dave

lol the dude sounds kinda dumb haaa. i think im gonna wait a little bit for more parts for the car but i really want a better shifter than the stock.

AmnDucky

Established Member
here's what he posted, looks like it will only be 15-20% but a totally new design, maybe your pic is right
hey guys,

just wanted to let you guys in on some info as i am getting close to finalizing the testing and design of our 2011 shifter.

first... the THROW....

as you guys know that have your cars already the new stock tranny is kinda odd in that the side to side travel is VERY short while the front to back is not as short as it should be but close....

this is just the way it was designed sooo...i originally designed the shifter much like our corvette shifters to have a double pinion design rather than a pivot ball to shorten the throw front to back and not side to side...i was shooting for about 30-35 percent reduction in throw....

NOT A GOOD IDEA...

apparently the new tranny that ford is using is not as robust as the TREMEC was and we have found that anything more than about 15-20 percent reduction in throw is going to have issues with lockout and also wear on the synchros of this transmission. i have been testing and researching this transmission for a LONNGGGG time and talked with various engineers on this project so i am VERY firm on my opinion of this.

after trying countless combinations of shifting throws i decided that to be honest the THROW of the oem unit is not that bad and actually for both roadcourse and drag racing the effort is pretty spot on...

BUT.where the factory unit falls flat on its face is DEFLECTION!!! it is HORRIBLE!!! the stock box UNDER the shifter has to be replaced and the rear support bracket is a joke!!! it has zip ties around a rubber mount for petes sake!!!

so in the end what i am designing is going to be basically a 15-20 percent reduction with ADDITIONAL spring back to neutral for the drag racers out there. with a COMPLETE replacement to the entire unit under the boot.

so if you guys are hung up on a super short throw then you might want to look elsewhere BUT i can assure you the shifting will be faster with our setup

stay tuned for more info and pics around the holiday break!!

george

There is a reason I was hanging off of MGW's nuts :p

Users who are viewing this thread