Shifters

1Quick4.6

Established Member
is there a way to raise the handles on these aftermarket shifters. I dont want the short feel i want it to be a little higher.

mine lately has felt a little sluggish like i can feel it turn a 1/8 of an inch by finger's touch, this is the shifter handle not the knob
the knob will sit at the stock height with the barton if i understand what your asking
Greater throw reduction too.

Edit: it doesnt look like the barton has the 3rd gear spring in it. That may be a deal breaker for me.

i thought this too and was very dissappointed when i opened the box and saw it, but when you install it you relize why. the positon of the pivot and reduced throw 40% combined with the centering of the tranny itself has the perfect amount of centering pressure ( feels more than stock). i would compare it to a steeda, mgw, pro 5.0 left to right feel from the 99-04 cars for referance.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
so the barton has the shortest throw at 40% less than stock? im all about the shortest throw i can get. i dont see how a shorter throw is gonna mess up the sychros. thats like saying people that shift faster with the stock shifter mess up their synchros.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
so the barton has the shortest throw at 40% less than stock? im all about the shortest throw i can get. i dont see how a shorter throw is gonna mess up the sychros. thats like saying people that shift faster with the stock shifter mess up their synchros.

its all about force multiplication probably. with the shifter having a shorter throw you have more force multiplied to the other end of the fulcrum then you might think. thats my only idea of why it might hurt a syncro. lets say you get that perfect little sweet spot where you are hitting on a syncro or w/e and you are pushing hard... you do the math.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
its all about force multiplication probably. with the shifter having a shorter throw you have more force multiplied to the other end of the fulcrum then you might think. thats my only idea of why it might hurt a syncro. lets say you get that perfect little sweet spot where you are hitting on a syncro or w/e and you are pushing hard... you do the math.

accually with a shorter throw you really dont get as much leverage because right after you start to pull a gear the shifts over.i'm sure after the decades of use short shifter we'd know by now anyway:beer:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
accually with a shorter throw you really dont get as much leverage because right after you start to pull a gear the shifts over.i'm sure after the decades of use short shifter we'd know by now anyway:beer:

ok maybe not leverage, maybe speed. like stated before this tranny is a lil different. reguardless my stock shifter is starting to piss me off something fierce.

AmnDucky

Established Member

Uhhh... they can. Where is the confusion?

kingnut

Established Member
there is none. i guess people who shift really fast (stock shifter) mess up their synchro's :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread