Shipping a engine.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Figured this is just as good a place as any to ask this.

I am in Massachusetts currently and I am slowly building a 8BA Flat Head. The thing is I will be leaving in a year to go back to Texas and I am only allowed a certain amount of weight to be shipped on the governments dime, plus I don't want this to be shipped with my household goods. The plan is to send this completed engine to Texas soon.

Any advice on doing this? I can get a small pallet and build a wooden crate but that is where the road ends. Who do you use for shipping?

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Put it on a pallet, wrap it with heavy duty plastic wrap, and build a crate around it. Be sure to just plenty of 2x4's to support it from twisting or shifting. Once you have it crated you'll need an approx weight and you can get freight quotes online. Fedex and UPS both have freight options but I always use Dominion or Estes. I find their rates to be lower and I've never had anything delivered damaged by them... UPS and Fedex are a different story. There's a lot of freight companies out there and most give quotes online, just make sure you use a reputable company.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I build custom crates/pallets very often for work, so, as a suggestion shipping an expensive engine.

Once you find the right size skid, I would stabilize the engine on the skid. Bolt it down, or use 2x4 over certain parts to secure it to the skid. Once you do that, you can make a skeleton crate around it and it should be fine.

Now, if you had full access to a variety of supplies, I'd go a bit over the top for it. Build a full blown crate using 1/2" plywood, band the engine to the skid and make sure the skid can EASILY support the weight of the engine and be able to withstand it being handled several times during transportation, throw some metal bands on it from the outside and label it as fragile, Do not topload, etc.

The key is making sure the engine is stable and won't move and that the skid you've furnished holds together.

Otherwise, find a crating company near you. Prices will probably range from $250-$500, but, they may take a day or two to complete it, depending on how busy they are. I can usually get a moderate size crate done with help in a couple of hours.

Also, make sure you insure it with the trucking company for double of what it is worth. Also, last piece of advice....PICTURES! Take pictures of the engine prior to even starting a crate. Then, take a picture once you secure it to a skid, then after you start to frame the crate out, then, a final picture of the finished work. This way, you're saved. Trucking companies will usually blame poor packaging if something is damaged and you cover your ass.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have shipped several engines.

I already had several correctly sized pallets. I welded iup an engine support cradle bolted to the engine mounts and to two places as far apart on the bellhousing area. The cradle held the engine two inches off the pallet.

Bolted the angle iron to the pallet in eight places since i didn't want the washers pulling through the wood. Wrapped the engine with plastic to keep it clean. Then wrapped it in many layers of heavy paper. Then built a wooden cover that was screwed to the pallet and can just be lifted off after unscrewing it at the destination. Took about three hours to make for each engine.

But they arrived in perfect condition. They were shipped by truck that my friends had arranged themselves.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I have all the tools and ability to build a full crate. My issue will be the weight. Gonna ship with out rotating assembly so that quite a bit of weight shed. Gonna have the stock heads on and I take though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread