shipping car to japan?

BEAVER09

does anyone know about shipping a car to japan and how much it would be or any info at all thanks. i cant stand not haveing my car here, all this rice i could eat.

predator

Established Member
Assuming you are military.....check with TMO to see if they will work out something for you. Sometimes they will ship even though your orders say you do not rate. It may cost you, but it will be according to the contracted rates they pay. I shipped a car back from Japan...free. It was a very nice XJ6. Little known fact that if you were stationed overseas for longer than two years you rated having a car shipped back on your orders. Check into it.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Good Luck

Stony says you cant take american cars over there...that what a while ago though.....I would check with TMO

predator

Established Member
My info may be a little outdated. I do remember a problem with getting the car setup with proper emissions and they DO check. Volvo was selling cars to the military and would do the conversion once you were ready to ship back to the states. There were a lot of American cars over there though, but the locals were buying them and paying big bucks in import taxes. I had a good friend who ran a car lot in Japan. Just need to check with TMO.

BEAVER09

there are a couple stangs here i also saw 2 cameros and some vets. so i know you can get them here it's just price. they even have a mustang club here. i am going to go check it out this weekend. no cobras in it so i would be the first one. how is the car running broke

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The military has STRICT rules against shipping new vehicles to Japan & Okinawa. An American made car in Japan has a HUGE mark-up and G.I.'s would be black marketing the crap out of new American made vehicles if importation was allowed! Last time I went to Okinawa the military would not ship an American made car unless it was 1976 or older! Do some checking but I think you'll find that it's going to cost a lot of time and money to get a new car shipped over.

If it were me, I would just go and purchase one of the Nissan Skyline GT-R's. They are bad-ass!

U.M.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread