shock/strut tower bars

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by jtack
Is there a noticeable difference in stiffining when using shock and strut tower bars for the front and rear of the car?

On the front adding a 3 point brace really stiffens the car. It is noticeable. I don't know on the rear.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Since we are talking about braces, if a brace is installed on a 2000R, the brace I believe Kenny Brown has available, will this brace work with the stock upper parts used from the factory on the shock towers. When I say stock upper parts I mean the factory pieces used to install the factory type Bilstein struts. I have seen this brace installed on 2000R's but they have all have the aftermarket adjustable caster/camber plates.

Other than the two holes drilled in the cowl/firewall behind the intake, are there any other mods/drilling that needs to be done to install this brace on an 00R?

Robert

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
The plastic cowling needs to be cut/clearanced for the strut tower brace.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Other than the 2 holes and the plastic mods, the brace will bolt directly to a completely stock 00R application?

Robert

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 03 Cobra Toy
I would get some MM CC plates with 3/4" studs...The KB brace will not work the stock setup. Studs are to short..

Link with KB and MM CC plates

http://ml.truckmoxie.com/showownerpic.ten-u-3874-n-88501-pos-2

David:

I tried putting the MM CC plates on and they were not compatible with the KB strut tower brace. So I ended up going with Steeda 4-bolt CC plates and have yet to install my KB STB. But the Steeda pieces are compatible with the KB STB. I didn't like the KB Caster Plus plates because there was no caster adjustment. It was just pretty much set at max caster. In hindsight, I'm not really sure how bad that would be actually?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
David:

I tried putting the MM CC plates on and they were not compatible with the KB strut tower brace. So I ended up going with Steeda 4-bolt CC plates and have yet to install my KB STB. But the Steeda pieces are compatible with the KB STB. I didn't like the KB Caster Plus plates because there was no caster adjustment. It was just pretty much set at max caster. In hindsight, I'm not really sure how bad that would be actually?

:??: Do you know why the MM CC plates will not work with the KB strut tower brace? Maybe it's because they stop making the CC plates with the longer studs???If so you could have longer ones install. That's what I had to do on the last install..

:beer:

edit: KB caster camber plates are junk !

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 03 Cobra Toy
:??: Do you know why the MM CC plates will not work with the KB strut tower brace? Maybe it's because they stop making the CC plates with the longer studs???If so you could have longer ones install. That's what I had to do on the last install..

edit: KB caster camber plates are junk !

Well, it was a clearance issue. The MM plate would not fit with the KB STB. If you had access to a milling machine you could "clearance" it out to fit. It was the area where the tube was welded onto the plate. The Steeda CC plates had a big honkin' radius milled on them for clearance but the MM's did not.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Well, it was a clearance issue. The MM plate would not fit with the KB STB. If you had access to a milling machine you could "clearance" it out to fit. It was the area where the tube was welded onto the plate. The Steeda CC plates had a big honkin' radius milled on them for clearance but the MM's did not.

I think I know what you are talking about. The lower plate I think you are talking about should be moved back to the maximum + caster position. If it's not moved back I could see a problem with it hitting the bar. I have done 3 00R's and my 03 with this setup without any problems. All the 00R have 6deg +caster and 2.5deg -camber.
I'm sure the Steeda CC will work just fine. I just hope they don't use some rubber mounted bearing on the CC pivot like the KB junk ones did.

Users who are viewing this thread