Shocks, and struts, and springs... Oh my!!

subemup

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm new to suspension mods and have a ?? I know I've got a "special needs" car in a convertible. I've already got some full length SFCs and a diff. brace I'm waiting to install, and I just ordered some H&R race springs. The H&R site says upgraded shocks are "recommended". How important are new shocks and struts for me? I'd love the FTBR kit too but the money tree is not in bloom yet. The car isn't going to the drag strip, just a street car. Anything else I should be considering? Thanks for the help, and yes I've tried the search function... a lot.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The '03/'04 coupe struts & shocks will be what you need next (providing you are staying with Bilstein). You can find them in the Market or on eBay all the time.

If you are a DIY type, at the very least, add the harder diff mounts while you are it - very easy to do (the MM/Prothane mounts are rock solid). If you get adventurous, control arm and cradle bushings will be a bonus later on!

subemup

Established Member
Thanks, that's just what I needed. I'll grab some coupe shocks and look into the diff. mounts too. I'm definately a DIY guy. I plan on doing all this myself, except the FLSFCs, I don't have a lift or a welder. Just me, my garage, and some jack stands.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
You dont need to replace your struts, all lowering spring manufactures say to do this but 03/04 Cobras alreeady come with Bilstein shocks, coupes are lighter then verts so I would not go with the coupe springs, keep what you have or if anytrhing go with a adjust strut to make it stiffer like TKO ect.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You dont need to replace your struts, all lowering spring manufactures say to do this but 03/04 Cobras alreeady come with Bilstein shocks, coupes are lighter then verts so I would not go with the coupe springs, keep what you have or if anytrhing go with a adjust strut to make it stiffer like TKO ect.

They have struts and shocks that are valved to their specific springs - makes no difference if they are all from Bilstein. The verts springs are matched to their struts and shocks, just as the coupe springs are matched to their struts and shocks - look up the part numbers. He's not using coupe springs, he's using H&R Race springs, which TONS of guys use - on both coupes AND verts.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
They have struts and shocks that are valved to their specific springs - makes no difference if they are all from Bilstein. The verts springs are matched to their struts and shocks, just as the coupe springs are matched to their struts and shocks - look up the part numbers. He's not using coupe springs, he's using H&R Race springs, which TONS of guys use - on both coupes AND verts.

Let me be more clear, we dont have struts on our cars they are shocks, he dose not need to replace the shocks, he is asking how important it is to do so and he dosent have to just because he is throwing H&R lowering springs. All spring manufactuers like Eibach, H&R etc always suggest you do replace your shocks, almost everybody in here lowers there car without replacing the shock. Struts are basically a coilover. So OP unless you have alot of miles on your shocks dont waste the money you will be fine.
Just lower your car then aline it like 2 or 3 weeks later.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The heck we don't have struts...

You are free to use the terms "strut" and "shock" interchangeably, but that doesn't make them the same. A strut is an integral part of the suspension, which is exactly what we have up front. A shock, on the other hand is simply there to dampen motion. You could take off your "shocks" and drive the car if you absolutely had to, but try taking those "struts" off and see how far you get.

Here's even what a small company called Koni would tell you:

Shocks and struts are similar in that they both damp (slow down) the vehicles motion. The key difference of a strut vs. a shock is that a shock only controls the cars motion while a strut is a locating member of the suspension. What this means is that if you remove a shock the spindle or axle will still be completely attached to the vehicle. If you remove a strut the spindle or axle will be able to move outside of its normal motion. Shocks and struts may or may not have a spring mounted to them either. It is often assumed that any damper with a spring is a strut, this is not the case.

The issue isn't whether the OP has to get new shocks & struts because he is lowering the car, it is about MATCHING them to the spring rate. It is exactly why the vert, the coupe, and even the Cobra R, have struts and shocks matched to their specific spring rates. If you chose to leave mismatched components on your car, then have at it, but if you are going to put the effort in, you might as well do it right.:rollseyes

subemup

Established Member
My car only has 15K on it, so I'm sure the stock parts are still good, but I guess what I'm asking is more of what do I need to match my new springs in my vert? According to their site, H&R race springs aren't even listed for verts. Are coupe shocks and struts stiffer than vert ones?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
IRS Spring Rates:
• 2000 Cobra R F: 800 R: 750
• 2003/2004 Coupe F: 600 R: 600
• 2003/2004 Vert F: 500 R: 470
• Steeda Cobra F: 720-780 R: 650-790
• H&R Race F: 760-850 R: 770
• H&R Sport F: 700-760 R: 685
• Eibach Pro-Kit F: 450-570 R: 650-820
• Kenny Brown F: 725 R: 825

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
OP if you are gona replace your shocks get Koni adjustables you will be able to adjust the stiffness on them, my buddy has them on his vert.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
jrg is spot on. the verts and coupe obviously have different valving, give ford engineers more credit than that. they are not going to throw weak sauce spring rates at the vert and then put coupe valved struts/shocks on. ford has different part numbers for the vert and coupe bilsteins for this very reason.

if you have a vert and go with h&r race, match the spring with the strut/shock. either buy proper brand new shocks or the other option I have read here is to send your factory vert bilsteins off and have them re-valved, less cost than buying new. good luck op

03cobraracer

Established Member
Let me be more clear, we dont have struts on our cars they are shocks, he dose not need to replace the shocks, he is asking how important it is to do so and he dosent have to just because he is throwing H&R lowering springs. All spring manufactuers like Eibach, H&R etc always suggest you do replace your shocks, almost everybody in here lowers there car without replacing the shock. Struts are basically a coilover. So OP unless you have alot of miles on your shocks dont waste the money you will be fine.
Just lower your car then aline it like 2 or 3 weeks later.

umm...yeah... actually we do have struts man.. OP listen to those who know what they are talking about. some of the others in this thread have some good advice. goodluck!

subemup

Established Member
Thanks guys. My plan is to get some used coupe struts. I've just ordered some diff. mounts too. My vert. shocks and struts have low miles, where would I send them to get re-valved and how much would that cost? Maybe better than used coupe ones??

subemup

Established Member
Ha, love the search function. I finally found the answer to revalve. Thanks to Jimmysidecarr from another thread about 6 months ago. Here it is again for everyone.

Bilstein service -> Service

It looks like $280 plus shipping to revalve all 4. I think I'll be going this route.

Users who are viewing this thread