Shocks & Making The Rear End Stick

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I have broken my front right shock, and was wondering everyone else's opinion on shocks were. Should I go ahead and replace all of them, or should I go back with the stock ones.

*Dumb question to add, what do different shocks do? Anything else worth replaceing while doing this?

And a totally different question for you guys....How do I make my rear-end stick, not for racing, for daily driving???? Do new tires help?? A wing...new stereo system for rear-end weight, haha??? Any opinions please, I've had the shit scared out of me twice in 3 days ending w/my rear-end in the opposite lane.

Thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Don't take this personal, but it sounds like you're over your head with this car. This thing sticks better than my other Cobra did. Never had that happen to me.

How do you break a front shock(it actually uses struts)?

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Actually, the two stories are quite related. I was pulling out, making a 90 degree turn, and I just thought I'd get on it a bit, just playing. I pulled out slowly, becuase of a steep incline, and then eased on the gas, only slightly harder than normal. It must have been the angle of the turn, a bad patch of pavement, or the decision of the car, but the tale went flying into the right lane while I was pulling into the left. I corrected, car still fishtailing, and the car went way too far to the right, and into the curb. Thankfully, there was no one coming and I was not hurt. It greatly made me realize the power of the machine, and that I shouldn't abuse it. I'd done stuff like that before, and it had Never done it. I'm thinking that it could have been the tires, or lack there of in the tread department.

Back to the story, hit the curb, knocked the front end out of alignment, and the guy said that I broke the "shock," (new to cars, now know it's strut). Now...I need a new strut, a new rim or set of rims, and I'm going to rotate the tires to see if it is, in fact, the tires or the car. Luckily, there was no body damage, and only that small amount of damage that we can tell.

It has just in the past few days even given hints to doing this, scaring me to death on the way to school the other morning.

Please, no lectures on the car or its power. For now, and the coming months, the car is fast enough, if not too fast. Big reality check.

larryc7777

Established Member
Are you running the stock F1s? If so, were they cold? Believe me when I say that the HARD rubber of cold F1s can't handle aggressive driving. After they heat up some, they are OK.

Users who are viewing this thread