Shorty Header Questions

Jbstang87

Established Member
I am looking into getting shorty headers. Before you go all Long Tube FTW on me, I live in california, and have to swap my lethal mid pipe for my stock one for smog. I see that the kooks super street headers give some power. Also the bbk ceramic one looks good and is far cheaper. Which one is better?

11socal50

Established Member
I'm in the same boat, I think I'm going to go with kooks. I haven't seen much information about actual gains with the bbk headers

Action Bronson

Established Member

lovebread

Established Member
Reposting the AED hotness from my Kooks shorties. Installed at the same time as Boss IM/ and the rest of the exhaust system but I saw great power on 91 "Kirkland Signature" gas :)

[youtube_browser]0ssQNJDRO6o[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]bCJZ2vmCsT8[/youtube_browser]

ARU0lKD.png

Jbstang87

Established Member
Yea. All I want to know is if there is any difference in fitment, or is the ceramic coating better, or is there any noticeable power difference between the two. If not, I wouldnt mind saving 200 bucks

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I would stay away from the BBK shorties...I bought a set of the ceramic ones from American Muscle and promtly returned them. The O2 sensor bung was crushed slightly and not fully welded...the welds and collector area looked horrible also. Maybe I got a bad set, but I wouldnt trust buying them again.

test22_zpsef8d5996.jpg

test23jpg_zps713178ee.jpg

Header3.gif

Header5.gif

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
no idea how the fitment is on the BBK's , but on my Kooks the X/H pipe flange isn't in the same position as stock and it has caused some fitment issues...it works but I expected better from Kooks. The quality of the welds and bends are better on the Kooks. As far as which makes more power I guess you will have to buy both and do a back to back dyno comparison because I doubt anyone else has.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I am looking into getting shorty headers. Before you go all Long Tube FTW on me, I live in california, and have to swap my lethal mid pipe for my stock one for smog. I see that the kooks super street headers give some power. Also the bbk ceramic one looks good and is far cheaper. Which one is better?

LOL

kooks shorties are of amazing quality, i saw my buddies when they came in and install was flawless, no fitment issues. great sounding and they make power!

this would be the ONLY shorty to go with

NickSezz

Established Member
I have the very first productions set still on my car witch is now supercharged. The Kooks are holding up great.

Let me know if I can help anyone with a set of these.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have stainless works longtubes and wish I stayed with shorties. My longtubes hit my kmember and they cause wideband sensor issues if you want to use e85.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I would stay away from the BBK shorties...I bought a set of the ceramic ones from American Muscle and promtly returned them. The O2 sensor bung was crushed slightly and not fully welded...the welds and collector area looked horrible also. Maybe I got a bad set, but I wouldnt trust buying them again.

test22_zpsef8d5996.jpg

Header3.gif

Header5.gif

WOW:nonono:

Zevox

Established Member
Since we are on the subject...

Do shorties make power in different ways than the long tubes? I remember on my truck people said they made different types of power at different RPM bands. I never really understood, I just went shorties cause $500 was better than $1500.

Jbstang87

Established Member
long tube headers gain more because of the acceleration gain that gases get by accelerating down the long tube and are released into the system. Smartest thing I said all day. That's all i know :)

IGO 202

Established Member
I just installed a set of Kooks shorties last week. Very nice looking pipes but like 4VFTW I had fitment issues with my Steeda X-pipe that I have been running.
Had the X pipe on and off about three times, the drivers side just would not fit back perfect. A little copper RTV and all is good....just wish they would have bolted up correctly.
Also installed a set of JPC over axle pipes at the same time. Butt dyno could not tell difference.
Going back to a real dyno in a few days.
Dan

4VFTW

Established Member
I just installed a set of Kooks shorties last week. Very nice looking pipes but like 4VFTW I had fitment issues with my Steeda X-pipe that I have been running.
Had the X pipe on and off about three times, the drivers side just would not fit back perfect. A little copper RTV and all is good....just wish they would have bolted up correctly.
Also installed a set of JPC over axle pipes at the same time. Butt dyno could not tell difference.
Going back to a real dyno in a few days.
Dan
for me it is the passenger side that is wonky. I had to double gasket it and the whole X-pipe is shifted like 2" to the drivers side. the X-pipe fit perfect with the stock headers. My tuner said he had the same issue with a set and they actually had to cut the x-pipe and weld in a section to get it right...others claim perfect fitment.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
I also have the first production run of the Kooks and I really like them. I have had long tubes on many Street cars and was never happy with any of them. There was always an issue. IMOP the Shorties are the ticket.
I will tell u this they are a PITA to install and if u do it yourself remove the K member to install I did it the hard way. Also use the factory header gasket they don't leak.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
long tube headers gain more because of the acceleration gain that gases get by accelerating down the long tube and are released into the system. Smartest thing I said all day. That's all i know :)

Thats it in a nutshell, but heres a good read on it, as well as an excerpt regarding this issue specificlly. Basically, the longer the tube, the lower the pressure in the tube as exhaustgas pulses head to the collector. When a high pressure wave from one cylinder reaches the collector, it creates low pressure waves in the remaining runners.

"The exhaust has many frequencies of wave motion because headers are intended to use these pressure waves to augment induction by using their timed arrival back at the exhaust valve to be when the cam is on overlap. They are intended to arrive just before the intake opens and reflect back down the pipe causing a low pressure to form behind the wave which helps draw the incoming mixture into the cylinder and to complete the scavenge of the burnt gasses. If the wave arrives too late, it will push thru the cylinder and enter the intake shoving the mixture back out he carb. "

What this is saying, is a proper exhaust makes power not only by completely removing the exhaust charge, but by all drawing fresh air into the cylinder during valve overlap.

Full "article" Engine Performance Basics - Reversion

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
you are the perfect candidate for these headers, and that's why they were made.

for the guy that needs to keep his factory cats, or wants to do cat deletes, but swap back when Echeck comes around.

We have a great sale going on the kooks stuff right now. Let me know if you need anything.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Kooks would fit the bill for what you're looking for. Just make sure to get their cats as well.

test22_zpsef8d5996.jpg

Header3.gif

Header5.gif

Those are a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread