should I build my 3650 or swap in a t45

brett3xx

Established Member
I have the trans out right now on my 01 cobra replacing the TOB. The 3650 has been jumping out of second so while I have it out should I fix it, upgrade it or swap out the t45 that I have in my gt? Thanks

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member

quick01snake said:
3650 is more expensive to rebuild than a t45...keep that in mind...

Yep! Ford wants $114 apiece for syncros or you can buy the $500+ Kevlar kit from ProMotion. Thats why I still have my original sitting in the garage unfixed. The 3650 is a heavy duty trans, it just has junk syncros. :cuss:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Either rebuild it or go with a TKO if you want to keep it a 5-speed

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
TKO 5sp. or T-56 if you want a six speed gear box.
Beware T-56's make a lot of gear roll over noise.
Bob's T-56 gasket helps. Some are louder than others, My original T-56 that was replaced under warranty was VERY loud. The current one doesn't need Bob's gasket.
Jeff

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
sry to hijack the thread a bit here, but i am also looking to get my 3650 out and want to stay 5 speed. I only will see the track once or so this year, so would it be worth it for just street driving?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quick01snake said:
eff that...TKO's don't like to be shifted over 6K from what i've heard...pro-motion t45 FTW...

we put a TKO600 into my friends Vorteched 96 Cobra...never hard a problem with it...and we put a ton of laps on it at New England Dragway...and he took that bitch to over 6500 each time

i learned that Vortechs and 4.30s are friggin awesome after that install LOL

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
brett3xx said:
I have the trans out right now on my 01 cobra replacing the TOB. The 3650 has been jumping out of second so while I have it out should I fix it, upgrade it or swap out the t45 that I have in my gt? Thanks

You've got a lot of recommendations above, and a lot of opinions. However, there's a real big unknown here - how are you going to use the car? Mostly street? Some street some strip? All street? All strip? Road racing? Autocross?

Also, what other mods do you have? How about future mods? How important is gas mileage to you?

With more information, a better recommendation can be made.

brett3xx

Established Member
The car is a DD that is raced on the weekends. Its a bolton only car. Im on street tires now, but will soon be on drag radials. gas mileage is very important. Thanks

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
brett3xx said:
The car is a DD that is raced on the weekends. Its a bolton only car. Im on street tires now, but will soon be on drag radials. gas mileage is very important. Thanks

FWIW, i have ~320 rwhp i'm guessing, running on DR's and i take it to the strip whenever i can, and i have NO plans to swap out trannies unless this one takes a dump...and if it does, i'll be putting a t45 or tr3650 stock replacement back in...only b/c they're cheaper...if i was loaded i might pop for the pro-motion, but for my needs it's overkill...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I'd stay with the 3650. It is somewhat stronger, and has a .62 OD vs the .67 in the T45 (hence the gas mileage question).

Good luck.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread