Should I buy one or no?

TheDingo31

Established Member
Whats up guys and Gals. My names Jon and I'm new here but i have a question. I have an 88 Foxbody but I'm also looking into buying an 03-04 Termi but the only thing i cant stop thinking about is my lack of a garage, These cars are beautiful and even though i plan on having it covered and wrapped in one of those car bags I'm not sure if its a good idea to have one outside still. I live around a lot of trees in New England and my fox has a lot of little pings on the roof from hail and acorns i just hate the idea of getting my all time dream car and having her get pelted by acorns. Any ideas on what i should do also do any of you have a cobra but no garage ?

I have parked my 03 outside, all year round, for over 10 years. Exposed to all the elements. No car cover cover, though I don't have your acorn issue.

As long as you do a proper detail, at least once per year, your car will look fantastic no matter what elements it sees.

Chemical Guy's 'JetSeal' is one of the best products I've ever used that keeps my 03 looking better than most new cars on the road.

Trust me the factory paint and clearcoat is more stout than people realize. I had my front bumper repainted 3 years back and it has not matched the durability of what came from the factory.

If you're truly concerned about the acorn pelting and hail and I agree that's a legitimate concern, there are some very good car covers out there that will protect the vehicle from those kind of 'hits.'

You shouldn't let the elements deter you from buying one of these cars if that is your primary concern.

The worst I've seen exposed to these elements is that I have a lot of rust coming off my k-member and control arms, onto my driveway that is concrete. But every 6 months I use a rust remover for concrete.

But I see plenty of snow, rain and salt on my roads and I'm actually impressed how great the car looks above and below the surface.

It really is all about how far you go with detailing. Not bragging, but on my 03, I do the type of detailing that the pros do. I watch all their videos and buy their top products and follow all their procedures and you would think its a brand new car if you were plain ignorant.

TheDingo31

Established Member
I have parked my 03 outside, all year round, for over 10 years. Exposed to all the elements. No car cover cover, though I don't have your acorn issue.

As long as you do a proper detail, at least once per year, your car will look fantastic no matter what elements it sees.

Chemical Guy's 'JetSeal' is one of the best products I've ever used that keeps my 03 looking better than most new cars on the road.

Trust me the factory paint and clearcoat is more stout than people realize. I had my front bumper repainted 3 years back and it has not matched the durability of what came from the factory.

If you're truly concerned about the acorn pelting and hail and I agree that's a legitimate concern, there are some very good car covers out there that will protect the vehicle from those kind of 'hits.'

You shouldn't let the elements deter you from buying one of these cars if that is your primary concern.

The worst I've seen exposed to these elements is that I have a lot of rust coming off my k-member and control arms, onto my driveway that is concrete. But every 6 months I use a rust remover for concrete.

But I see plenty of snow, rain and salt on my roads and I'm actually impressed how great the car looks above and below the surface.

It really is all about how far you go with detailing. Not bragging, but on my 03, I do the type of detailing that the pros do. I watch all their videos and buy their top products and follow all their procedures and you would think its a brand new car if you were plain ignorant.

Thanks Man, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to move forward with this buy, Even if its not going to be till next spring i just want to have everything planed out.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
just get one of the outside tents like you see at the track I have had the kind that has sides that zip up and have had the ones that are just the roof and 4 posts. I know they aren't the greatest but they do help. you can get them at tsc Walmart just about any farm store.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Another option is to store it in a storage unit, especially during the winter months. Many cobra owners do this. If one is close to you this may be an option.

dom418

Established Member
I know others have done it but I am too damn picky to leave the beast out doors, too many jealous people out there.

I would store it somewhere. Find the car first and worry about that later. That's the fun part after all!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
My opinion is that if you are questioning it then it will bother you. So I would spend the money on some type of car port first, then save up for the Terminator you want after that.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
It will be fine really. If you want to treat it like a "dream car", make sure you cover it though.

And if you are going to cover it or not and let it sit, if it isn't on a paved surface make sure there is a good barrier between the ground and it. The moisture lingers under the car otherwise.

If you can't manage a garage though, the next best thing is one of those full on weather bags for storage like linked above.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Whats up guys and Gals. My names Jon and I'm new here but i have a question. I have an 88 Foxbody but I'm also looking into buying an 03-04 Termi but the only thing i cant stop thinking about is my lack of a garage, These cars are beautiful and even though i plan on having it covered and wrapped in one of those car bags I'm not sure if its a good idea to have one outside still. I live around a lot of trees in New England and my fox has a lot of little pings on the roof from hail and acorns i just hate the idea of getting my all time dream car and having her get pelted by acorns. Any ideas on what i should do also do any of you have a cobra but no garage ?

I have two mustangs under car covers.I use two covers just in case.One car has been covered for 4 years with no issues.Just trim or cut down some trees.I would sell my soul to the Devil for a 3 car garage though.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op let's set you up right first by not calling it a "termi". Of course you can call it what you want, but from my experience people that call them that generally get less replies to there thread.

Enough of that, have you thought about renting a storage unit. I've thought about this if I bought another car. But it sucks not having it at your house.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Op let's set you up right first by not calling it a "termi". Of course you can call it what you want, but from my experience people that call them that generally get less replies to there thread.

Enough of that, have you thought about renting a storage unit. I've thought about this if I bought another car. But it sucks not having it at your house.

This is the real answer, better than my own. I live in Mass as well, and way back when I didn't have a garage, I rented a garage bay pretty close to my house. It was a weekend car anyway, so it worked out well. In the future your garage circumstances will probably change, but if you want the car now, you don't want to regret leaving it exposed to the elements.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I currently live in New Mexico and i personally think a garage is almost a necessity. Obviously it doesn't apply to everywhere but where i'm at the wind and dust/sand it really bad. I've had my car outside for the past year and a half and it has been very difficult to keep my car cover on. I would come home from work and my car cover would be hanging on just by the mirror or a bumper. My drivers side mirror broke and my front chin spoiler came partially off from violent winds. I finally got tired of putting the cover back on everyday so i just put on some binder clips and it helped a whole lot. Also dust gets everywhere in the engine bay and even in my instrument cluster lol. Im not trying to rant or be a pessimist but i know what ive been through. Last week i rented a $75 storage unit, so we'll see how that goes.
IMG_20150510_144401_622_zpsn5kptcrr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Many years ago when I owned an 87 GN, I used a Public Storage garage to store the car when not used. It was expensive at the time ($100/mo) but worth it in the long run. The storage location was a few miles from the house so it was pretty convenient. Overall, I had a favorable experience with it and would consider it in the future.

TheDingo31

Established Member

Noted on the "Termi" quote. Yeah i would like to have it at my place as to keep an eye on it, I would also love to get a car port or a tent but i don't have any space for it, My backyard has a big pool so i don't have much land back there to fit a car port and my driveway is already taken so..??.. absolutely no space. But i think i will try my luck with a car cover then wrap it in a car storage bag. I live on a small private way with 4 houses but most of us park across the street in a little dirt strip, That's where my Fox has been parked for almost 6 years with a car cover and never had much problems, Just the acorns from the oak tree has left it with a few dings. Like i stated above ill make it work. Thanks.

TheDingo31

Established Member
This is the real answer, better than my own. I live in Mass as well, and way back when I didn't have a garage, I rented a garage bay pretty close to my house. It was a weekend car anyway, so it worked out well. In the future your garage circumstances will probably change, but if you want the car now, you don't want to regret leaving it exposed to the elements.

That's what I'm saying, I will look into everything all you guys have given me for advice and figure something out, Thank you.:beer:

TheDingo31

Established Member
I have two mustangs under car covers.I use two covers just in case.One car has been covered for 4 years with no issues.Just trim or cut down some trees.I would sell my soul to the Devil for a 3 car garage though.

Same! 3 car garage would be great. My family would never see me again.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
The house I've been living in for the past 14 years I made the decision to buy before I ever stepped foot inside because of the garage. It's a true luxury. Lots of good ideas on here. Definitely buy the Cobra, you'll love it!

Users who are viewing this thread