Running BPS cams, build n cams built for 10w-30

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 157

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Oh-Oh..........this is officially an Oil Thread !
If your engine builder swears by the PennGrade 1 I'd stay with that at least until there's a warranty on his build. A Mustang Race shop convinced me to switch to Royal Purple 10W-40. I was always a BIG RP fan with my past cars. I bought a case of RP 10W40. The following season I went to another Mustang Race shop with the RP in the trunk. They refused to use the lighter Royal Purple so they used the 0-50 Motorcraft. Two years later the RP still sits on my garage floor ...and it was not cheap!
If your builder recommends the lighter oil and it can result in faster revs + oil sufficiency in all critical areas I'd stick with the PennGrade1. Your motor isn't stock anymore. Factory oil requirement specs may not really apply.

tvspower

Established Member
IMG_0118.JPG
Oh-Oh..........this is officially an Oil Thread !
If your engine builder swears by the PennGrade 1 I'd stay with that at least until there's a warranty on his build. A Mustang Race shop convinced me to switch to Royal Purple 10W-40. I was always a BIG RP fan with my past cars. I bought a case of RP 10W40. The following season I went to another Mustang Race shop with the RP in the trunk. They refused to use the lighter Royal Purple so they used the 0-50 Motorcraft. Two years later the RP still sits on my garage floor ...and it was not cheap!
If your builder recommends the lighter oil and it can result in faster revs + oil sufficiency in all critical areas I'd stick with the PennGrade1. Your motor isn't stock anymore. Factory oil requirement specs may not really apply.
Thank you
Yes stock she is not...
BPS informed me when cams were installed 10w-30 needed..... engine builder sent cams away to get numbers......he was very happy I kept them...
More mileage I put on, the easier it revs .
Will run this blend till next 4k miles, then analyze

Is the oil squitters that need the thinner oil?..

Papaw

Established Member
I like Pennzoil. If I recall Pennsylvania crude has a superior molecular structure than most other crudes. That said, I would switch to a full synthetic in whatever weight you choose after break in. It is shown to protect better and longer than conventional oils.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I like Pennzoil. If I recall Pennsylvania crude has a superior molecular structure than most other crudes. That said, I would switch to a full synthetic in whatever weight you choose after break in. It is shown to protect better and longer than conventional oils.
Most of their synthetics are now based in part on processed Natural gas... no thanks.

@tvspower use whatever weight oil your engine builder recommends, but use a quality brand like Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 etc. Of all 3, Id say that Amsoil gives me the most peace of mind. Vast majority of oil changes Ive done on my GT500 have been with Amsoil and zero issues so far.

tvspower

Established Member
Most of their synthetics are now based in part on processed Natural gas... no thanks.

@tvspower use whatever weight oil your engine builder recommends, but use a quality brand like Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 etc. Of all 3, Id say that Amsoil gives me the most peace of mind. Vast majority of oil changes Ive done on my GT500 have been with Amsoil and zero issues so far.
Thank you......
Engine builder wants me to continue with partial synthetic....
I'm now seeing more oil deposits in my Bob's catch can....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to have more oil blow-by in a built engine, since your ring end gaps are likely to be wider than stock. Any oil that makes it's way to the intake keeps getting recycled through the intake through the scavenger tubing between the lower manifold and the supercharger. That's another good place for an oil separator. I initially used Joe Gibb's break in oil on my engine. It shouldn't make that much difference, it's not like you're breaking in a set of flat tappet cams where you need high levels of zinc and phosphorus.

Last edited:

tvspower

Established Member
Thanks ... your comment about not like I'm breaking in flat tappet cams...... Exactly............
I'm not racing her, so, thanks ...I have close to a 1000 driving miles.... just did 3rd oil change using his preferred oil.....
Please be honest,,,, Am I missing something........
Honestly, I was going to try Castro 10w 40

tvspower

Established Member
Go with what your engine builder recommends. Then if something happens he can't blame it on the oil.
Damn......Excellent......
I'm just going enjoy her to the end.....
Thanks all....... will post as miles ( SMILES ) creep up.....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I run synthetic. I think mineral oil and/or blends tend to leave more residue in the intercooler., but that's just me. But I did run mineral oil for the first 1,000 miles on the new short block. As far as viscosity, my understanding is that Ford spec'ing a 50 weight had more to do with the lash adjusters. Whether they thought they needed it or Ford wanted to quiet down the valve train is anyone's guess. I can't imagine your builders tolerances are tighter than Fords. I'm sure you'd be fine with 30 weight, but I don't think a heavier viscosity is going to hurt anything either.

tvspower

Established Member
I run synthetic. I think mineral oil and/or blends tend to leave more residue in the intercooler., but that's just me. But I did run mineral oil for the first 1,000 miles on the new short block. As far as viscosity, my understanding is that Ford spec'ing a 50 weight had more to do with the lash adjusters. Whether they thought they needed it or Ford wanted to quiet down the valve train is anyone's guess. I can't imagine your builders tolerances are tighter than Fords. I'm sure you'd be fine with 30 weight, but I don't think a heavier viscosity is going to hurt anything either.
Thanks........
Im worried about the high Ingredients zinc n other. forget the name...
Yes having twice cleaned up the S/C inter cooler I agree the film left by Mobile was present...

Users who are viewing this thread