Should I port the Boss Mani?

devildog1679

Established Member
Going to install this spring along with Accufab 84.5 TB, E85 and Kooks 1 3/4 headers with catted H. Should I bother spending the $120 to have it ported? I'm staying NA so every bit helps.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Agreed. It'll completely close it depending on the intake used. Use an airaid intake. No where in that intake is it below 90mm ID. JLT is to small. Only being 80mm ID. The gains will definitely be more.

A ported boss manifold, Airaid intake and a throttle body is just as efficient as a CJ setup on a coyote. Boss cars seem to pick up quite a bit.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
We just had this long conversation on another forum about this vs Stock IM vs CJ....
Bottom line is this: The CJ setup is nice but too pricey, The Stock IM is best for low end Daily Driving....and the Ported BOSS IM w/Accufab is a great cheap mix of them both! |

DONT however go overboard on the "porting"...you only need "smoothing" of the TB inlet and runner inlets. Otherwise you start to lose velocity.

our doing the same setup I have planned....Its gonna be a blast!

SCalla1384

Established Member
We just had this long conversation on another forum about this vs Stock IM vs CJ....
Bottom line is this: The CJ setup is nice but too pricey, The Stock IM is best for low end Daily Driving....and the Ported BOSS IM w/Accufab is a great cheap mix of them both! |

DONT however go overboard on the "porting"...you only need "smoothing" of the TB inlet and runner inlets. Otherwise you start to lose velocity.

our doing the same setup I have planned....Its gonna be a blast!

Yeah I can't really agree with that. I mean I agree that the stock manifold is for daily, but just because the boss or cj loses alittle low end doesn't make it bad for daily. A simple gear swap eats all that up imo.

But yeah, I'm pretty convinced that a smoothed up boss, Airaid is just as efficient for the coyote top end as a cj swap. Throw a throttle body in the boss for a little extra

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Yeah I can't really agree with that. I mean I agree that the stock manifold is for daily, but just because the boss or cj loses alittle low end doesn't make it bad for daily. A simple gear swap eats all that up imo.

But yeah, I'm pretty convinced that a smoothed up boss, Airaid is just as efficient for the coyote top end as a cj swap. Throw a throttle body in the boss for a little extra
Agreed! I never Said the BOSS is BAD for Daily....Its a great mix between the two Manifolds. Gears help a lot, true!

01bluesnake

Established Member
To put the port work cost into perspective better. Compare the gains of the port work to a CAI, very similar in power gains except that a CAI is typically twice the price. As mentioned above, be careful how aggressive you open the intake ports at the runners, as you can affect velocity which can have a negative impact on the gains. For the price and power gains, it is a very worthwhile mod, just don't get overly aggressive.

Newbomb Turk

Established Member
I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-3036-Sander-Belts/dp/B009OXJ8R0
Astro belt sander only 3/8" wide, should be pretty useful on my porting job considering I also have 5" extra long carbide burrs and die grinder.

I bought mine at harbor freight, $39. works great , sandpaper belts are $25/box of 20 at any auto body supply store. Use 3m green ones. They also work great for doing spotwelds on body panel replacement instead of drilling!

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I bought mine at harbor freight, $39. works great , sandpaper belts are $25/box of 20 at any auto body supply store. Use 3m green ones. They also work great for doing spotwelds on body panel replacement instead of drilling!

Exactly, use it for same reason. Takes 3M belts too.

devildog1679

Established Member
Yes. I would. I picked up 10rwhp by doing so. I ported it myself. Very easy to do.

What cold air intake do you have?
I currently have a steeda and was going to get the Boss specific intake elbow.

Agreed. It'll completely close it depending on the intake used. Use an airaid intake. No where in that intake is it below 90mm ID. JLT is to small. Only being 80mm ID. The gains will definitely be more.

A ported boss manifold, Airaid intake and a throttle body is just as efficient as a CJ setup on a coyote. Boss cars seem to pick up quite a bit.

Is the Steeda no good then?

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
The thing about NA power is it costs $$$$$, If your on a budget then i suggest some kinda SC or Turbo setup. All the CAI's are "OK" but the Airaid intake is the best one out there if your sticking with the Boss IM.

devildog1679

Established Member
The thing about NA power is it costs $$$$$, If your on a budget then i suggest some kinda SC or Turbo setup. All the CAI's are "OK" but the Airaid intake is the best one out there if your sticking with the Boss IM.

I wont be going FI, not my thing. Would rather stay NA. Airraid it is.

^ agreed. If you're looking for every bit na, get an airaid intake.

Shit reminds me I never got back to you. I'm in on headers.

Users who are viewing this thread