Should I sell 8 sec street turbo kit and go all out race

C666

Established Member
Thinking of selling my streetable turbo kit the goal was to drive to the track run 8's and drive home on pump gas... we went 8.5 with stock heads stock cams stock compression... I rarely drive the car anymore smog is a pia here so thinking about going race car air to water fwd facing turbo etc do you think I could sell my kit complete and pay for the parts for a race setup?

Sullivan intake, hpp upper, acufab TB, 1500hp a2a, 4" cold side, fwd facing headers, 2.5" Y pipe t6 flange, turbosmart 60mm, race bov about 4700 in parts

Last edited:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Why change it? It goes 8.5 already, I don't know why you would need to change it unless you just want a different look.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
You might get close but I don't think you could pay for the whole setup. Have you looked into switching Turbos? Something like the new GTX5518R 88mm would be nice.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Definitely don't sell it. As of right now you have a really fast street car. If you covert it to a race car you basically just have a slow race car. I think it's much more impressive to have a street driven car that runs great times instead of a full race car that runs fair times.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
You might get close but I don't think you could pay for the whole setup. Have you looked into switching Turbos? Something like the new GTX5518R 88mm would be nice.

Looking in your sig it looks like you had a pretty serious turbo cobra. Any reasoning for not being able to break high 8's? Looks like with an auto and a 91 you would be pretty far into them, care to share anymore details on the setup?

C666

Established Member
With a plain 4780 she's been 8.5 at 160. Pump gas 281 stock heads stock cams stock compression

Last edited:

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Haha my last comment was directed at 03TRKB I knew what your setup was! That's why I was asking 03 the reasoning for his high 8's when it seems he has more to work with than you do, unless his car is full weight or still has the IRS or something.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
Looking in your sig it looks like you had a pretty serious turbo cobra. Any reasoning for not being able to break high 8's? Looks like with an auto and a 91 you would be pretty far into them, care to share anymore details on the setup?

I consider 8.92 High Eights lol, it was a very heavy car, full weight plus the auto, turbo setup, and my big self. PM me for what details your wanting.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
I consider 8.92 High Eights lol, it was a very heavy car, full weight plus the auto, turbo setup, and my big self. PM me for what details your wanting.

Lol yea I worded that wrong, you were in high 8's, I should have asked why it was your car didn't hit mid 8's around OP's time. PM on it's way.

C666

Established Member
when my bucket was 3500 it took 1000rwhp to run 8.9 with the 3spd

now she makes 950ish and is 3100 .4 quicker with the 2spd not a fair comparison would be a bit quicker with a 3spd

the converter makes such a difference we tried 5 or 6 converters back then now Dusty PTC got this on almost dead on on the first try

BigWill90

Established Member
I say keep it street legal .....I've done the all out race car,used be really in to grudge racing but you never can get fast enough, so I sold my race car found myself back in a street car.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
when my bucket was 3500 it took 1000rwhp to run 8.9 with the 3spd

now she makes 950ish and is 3100 .4 quicker with the 2spd not a fair comparison would be a bit quicker with a 3spd

the converter makes such a difference we tried 5 or 6 converters back then now Dusty PTC got this on almost dead on on the first try

I feel ya, I haven't ever weighed my car but it was close to 4000lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread