Should I sell 8 sec street turbo kit and go all out race

SVTCobra60

Established Member
when my bucket was 3500 it took 1000rwhp to run 8.9 with the 3spd

now she makes 950ish and is 3100 .4 quicker with the 2spd not a fair comparison would be a bit quicker with a 3spd

the converter makes such a difference we tried 5 or 6 converters back then now Dusty PTC got this on almost dead on on the first try

Any chance you can PM me how you dropped that much weight?

SVTCobra60

Established Member
It's not the turbo kit that's the problem it's the motor. If you want to go faster get a big block ford.

Your kidding? There are plenty of guys running teksid blocks that are getting deep into the 8's and even 7's. That's not including that one guy running 6's, don't remember his name right now, something with an M lol.

coposrv

Established Member
I think you should go 5.4, supercar heads and higher compression and see what it will do.

C666

Established Member
I think you should go 5.4, supercar heads and higher compression and see what it will do.

Are you going to sponsor me lol

Hopefully I can get the heads ported this winter and next time I freshen the motor we plan to up the compression 10 10.5 or 11:1 ?

If they port the heads do I need to upgrade anything in the valve train to rev her to 8-8500

coposrv

Established Member
Haha I wish I had that kind of coin. If you're going to an air / water set up I'm guessing it's not going to be much of a street car. I would go big. Theres a member here in a 2v with twins running something like 12 to 1 and corn.

reved up

Faster than you
Established Member
Are you going to sponsor me lol

Hopefully I can get the heads ported this winter and next time I freshen the motor we plan to up the compression 10 10.5 or 11:1 ?

If they port the heads do I need to upgrade anything in the valve train to rev her to 8-8500

Do you have stock heads right now? Stock as in springs and everything? You def need to get better springs and such. Im doing a similar setup right now, gonna do PAC springs and retainers, some gt supercar lifters and rockers, maybe larger valves. Other than that gonna drop in a custom grind turbo cam.

What would you change if you went to a race setup? You are pretty much there with what you have now. Bump the compression and port the heads and you are there......

Im just gonna do ported c-heads, sullivan 4.6 intake, high compression teksid, forward facing headers, and a custom crossover and most likely a pt8847. Should get me where i need to be no problem.

C666

Established Member
Forward facing turbo, water to air, better intake, bigger turbo, higher compression, ported heads, cams, more gear.

racebronco2

Established Member
Your kidding? There are plenty of guys running teksid blocks that are getting deep into the 8's and even 7's. That's not including that one guy running 6's, don't remember his name right now, something with an M lol.

John Mihovetz is running 6's against big blocks. Last he told me he was running over 2200hp with twin turbo's with .003 to .008 overbore blocks.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
John Mihovetz is running 6's against big blocks. Last he told me he was running over 2200hp with twin turbo's with .003 to .008 overbore blocks.

What I heard is he doesn't even use a block that he has to bore out. Although if he does its very very minute as you stated.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Aeromotive runs a sleeved 323 5.3 based off a 5.4 and they run 6.20's at 215. That was 2 years ago roughly so it could honestly have run 5's by now for all I know.

On the rebuild, research doing a built coyote mill with vvt-ti heads and a slightly larger single, maybe just change the hot side on your current one, then bump in 10.5/1 maybe 11.0 compression.

I can't sponser you either haha, but that combo would make 11-1200whp pretty easy, the block might be suspect though.

Good luck on any route, 8.5's is booking, I'd leave well enough alone until the motor needs a refresh though.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

No I'm not kidding. You can make easily more power with a BBF then stressing the hell out of a small motor to make the same power. Not to mention our motors are a lot more expensive to build than old school BBFs.

I built a camaro a little while ago for a friend, it's a 510ci twin 76mm car and it makes 1500rwhp on 10psi. It would take at least 30psi on the most expensive build you can imagine for a mod motor to make that.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Tt4vgt, try driving that mill on a 30 mile drive though. Maybe 5mpg haha. 4v heads have drivability in spades. Ohv mills are more singular and race track specific.

For a street car, I'll take a 4v modular over a bbf. Both are great for power but street motor credential goes to the mod mills. Easy power to the bbf's.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I bet his block is concreted too. I'm sure it's nothing you would want to run on the street.

I bet $25,000 that the modular efi race motor 323ci 5.3 would make a better street motor when detuned to lower boost for pump gas than a bbf with a blow threw carb and a single or twins would equally detuned for pump gas.

The bbf will be making more power as its almost twice as big, but the modular will return 15-25mpg depending city or highway. On a true 30-100 mile cruise, your be very hard pressed to get the bbf to show maybe 15mpg highway with a gear vendors overdrive. 5-10 if its just a 2-3 speed.

Bbf's are great for a race car, modulars are great for street and good for racing.

Ideally, 4v coyote heads on a 600ci motor would be incredible, I hope ford eventually makes atleast a boss 429 with 4v vvt-ti heads even just as a commemorative crate motor.

How cool would a restomod 70' boss 429 be with a commemorative 429ci efi vvt-ti na mill making 750hp+? With twins it could easily make 1500whp on 10psi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread