Should I sell 8 sec street turbo kit and go all out race

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I bet $25,000 that the modular efi race motor 323ci 5.3 would make a better street motor when detuned to lower boost for pump gas than a bbf with a blow threw carb and a single or twins would equally detuned for pump gas.

The bbf will be making more power as its almost twice as big, but the modular will return 15-25mpg depending city or highway. On a true 30-100 mile cruise, your be very hard pressed to get the bbf to show maybe 15mpg highway with a gear vendors overdrive. 5-10 if its just a 2-3 speed.

Bbf's are great for a race car, modulars are great for street and good for racing.

Ideally, 4v coyote heads on a 600ci motor would be incredible, I hope ford eventually makes atleast a boss 429 with 4v vvt-ti heads even just as a commemorative crate motor.

How cool would a restomod 70' boss 429 be with a commemorative 429ci efi vvt-ti na mill making 750hp+? With twins it could easily make 1500whp on 10psi.

No one use carbs anymore for BBs they use standalones. He wants to make a race car by what he's talking about so the drivability won't apply anymore, as the car probably won't be street legal anymore.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If he's just going to track race it, then a bb with a bigstuff 3 and twin 67's will be enough power to get it in the 6's but he'll need to backhalf and 25.2 spec the chassis.

I would leave well enough alone, a fun street car is more enjoyable to me than a fast race car.

C666

Established Member
Way off what I want to do I like the 281 I never thought 8.50's with a darn close to stock long block would be possible... I think if you spin it to 8-8500 port the heads do some cams and put a real 30psi to one you can have a decent little combo low 8's maybe 7's on a buget maybe some race gas... hoping this little teksid will take another 200hp knock on wood

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Keep it a street car, maybe when the 4.6 lets up and needs a rebuild, get in the low 8's/ high 7's with a rebuild or even more uniquely, do a 5.4 or better still a built coyote with vvt-ti heads and twin 64/66's at 30psi.

All things said, 8.50's is crazy fast already so congrats as is

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Way off what I want to do I like the 281 I never thought 8.50's with a darn close to stock long block would be possible... I think if you spin it to 8-8500 port the heads do some cams and put a real 30psi to one you can have a decent little combo low 8's maybe 7's on a buget maybe some race gas... hoping this little teksid will take another 200hp knock on wood

Definitely port heads, different cams/springs, along with a more solid 30PSI you should be low 8's. All the best cobra times I've seen with a modular engine had a teksid so I think you should be ok.

fastmustang70

Established Member
i would just go race set up that car is all ready far from a street car no ac no wipers, no power streeting no interior barly does it even have a radio really powerglide trans whats the differents of a race car a little more heavier on the engine build

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
i would just go race set up that car is all ready far from a street car no ac no wipers, no power streeting no interior barly does it even have a radio really powerglide trans whats the differents of a race car a little more heavier on the engine build

?? Has he already done all those things or are you telling him to go that direction? If the cars already that far, then shoot for 7's with chassis mods and some extra head/cam/boost.

C666

Established Member
my car has full interior power window and locks (w nice rear seat delete) all glass

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya if its a street car I'd look for power in the heads/cams/boost departments. Adding lightness will ruin a usable car.

C666

Established Member
yes I like the stock dash and interior except I hated the stock seats and I'm not into the gutted lexan look

fastmustang70

Established Member
?? Has he already done all those things or are you telling him to go that direction? If the cars already that far, then shoot for 7's with chassis mods and some extra head/cam/boost.

No his car is all ready missing all those things and has a powerglide trans thats why i just say go all race car is pretty much all ready there

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
It's not the turbo kit that's the problem it's the motor. If you want to go faster get a big block ford.

:dw:

i would trust a factory built shortblock/longblock over any off the shelf motor based on the precision and amount of detail that goes into an engine assembled from the manufacturer.......that being said i'm making over 800 to the tires and on a stock longblock intake to oil pan, recently compression tested it and was basically perfect across the board. If it broke i'd buy another stock engine, already been through the mmr nightmares.

MGC

Established Member

i would trust a factory built shortblock/longblock over any off the shelf motor based on the precision and amount of detail that goes into an engine assembled from the manufacturer.......that being said i'm making over 800 to the tires and on a stock longblock intake to oil pan, recently compression tested it and was basically perfect across the board. If it broke i'd buy another stock engine, already been through the mmr nightmares.

I gotta agree with this, the quality control done by ford is second to none and it just so happens Coletti and his engineers picked a bad ass set up for a stock motor!:rockon::beer:

SVTCobra60

Established Member

Care to explain the MMR nightmare? I've been thinking about doing business with them in the future but hear nothing but bad things.

Joyrider564

Established Member
If I had to build a motor, it would either all be done by myself, or by one of the reman's from Tousley, and put on head studs.

Users who are viewing this thread