Should the battery go dead if left for just a few weeks?

whydaman

Established Member
A couple years back, my Terminator went from daily driver to spending time in the garage. I probably drive it about once a month and have noticed that each time I get in and ready to go, my battery is dead. I have a Duralast Gold that's less than a year old and don't believe it should go dead if left for a few weeks. Is this common for these cars and does anyone know what kind of amp draw that a multimeter should show with the car off, doors closed, and hood up? That'll help me dig in if the car's overdrawing.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I've got an optima red top, and typically have to charge it prior to the car sitting after a while. I thought it was just my battery

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Every computer in the car is going to draw some current even when the car is off. The alarm is still active, radio needs power to store presets and time, ecu needs to store it's data, etc.

A battery tender is the most obvious solution for a car that doesn't get driven a lot. I doubt you have current draw issues.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The security system can drain the battery in 2 weeks. Funny thing is when I was in the process of buying my Cobra the salesman had to have every car jump started from sitting in inventory. Get a trickle charger, discharging is very bad for a battery.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Another vote for a trickle charger.:rockon::beer:

Another benefit of the trickle charger is that your alternator does not have to try and charge up a very discharged battery every time you decide to go for a drive.

These alternators are one of the weak links on these cars and they get hot when they are asked to do a big charge.

When they get too hot..... they will :xpl:
...and then you are in the market for yet another alternator.:nonono:

Comp281

Established Member
If your car has an aftermarket or dealer installed security system that will drain the battery. Mine sits in the garage too so instead of pushing the button to arm the alarm, I push the door locks down to lock the doors. The battery seems to last much longer that way. I do also trickle charge mine during the winter months.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I've left mine dormant in the garage over cold ass Iowa Winters for seven years straight maybe started it once after the first of the year and never once needed a tender or a charger. After an hour you shouldnt see any more than .03 amps. 30 milliamps is the spec for a parasitic draw from Ford,but after a couple hours all the modules should fall asleep. Radio and the radio amps are common component s for draws. Otherwise do a thorough check of the charging system. I dont trust them electronic load testers like what they use at the parts houses. Find a carbon pile tester and put a goddamn load on that battery.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've left mine dormant in the garage over cold ass Iowa Winters for seven years straight maybe started it once after the first of the year and never once needed a tender or a charger. After an hour you shouldnt see any more than .03 amps. 30 milliamps is the spec for a parasitic draw from Ford,but after a couple hours all the modules should fall asleep. Radio and the radio amps are common component s for draws. Otherwise do a thorough check of the charging system. I dont trust them electronic load testers like what they use at the parts houses. Find a carbon pile tester and put a goddamn load on that battery.

You mean to tell me you had a battery sit for seven years and it never needed a charge?

I would give it 6 month to 1 year before it lost its capacity to even hold a charge.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Just over winter so for four months at a time, every year I've owned the car. In fact this summer the car sat most of the time and still no trouble. Original alt. And a motorcraft battery that was in it when I bought it with 2k miles on the clock.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
op, get rid of the Walmart battery lol lower quality batteries and parasitic draws suck. Draining the battery over and over shortens the life of them. Excessive heat and cold beats the hell out of the cells. Invest in a decent tender and a good quality batter and enjoy the car

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I'm actually surprised at how well mine has held up. It was the cheapest battery at Sears I could buy at the time, nearly 5 years ago. Even after sitting a few weeks in the cold it still kicks the car over, albeit slowly. It even has enough juice when it inevitably needs a second crank.

Of course I do have a battery charger set aside just in case, with both fast and trickle charge settings. Always a good idea to have one handy.

And another solution that's handy; battery disconnect. It will help make the battery last longer, make servicing the vehicle easier, and depending on where you locate it satisfy some track requirements.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
There's only a few battery manufactures in the world. My wal-mart battery is made by Johnson Controls. I think the others are Varta and East Penn. There's only a couple more. They're all the same for the most part. Interstate doesn't even manufacture their own batteries.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Mine's always on a battery tender but I wouldn't rule out a slow current draw from something other than the stuff mentioned, these cars can be gremlins in that respect daily driver guys just don't know it... Mine has a draw somewhere, on a day I'm bored I should troubleshoot...

CobRoush-00

Established Member
?????????????? Not buying this. 7 years ?????????

Quick Strike

Established Member
?????????????? Not buying this. 7 years ?????????

Same here for six years on the original battery and now three on the second one (Motorcraft). I leave it 4-5 months at a time in the winter and it fires right up.

Users who are viewing this thread