Single turbo or kb 2.8 ?

Mr. Whistle

Established Member
So I've been looking around and I'm trying to decide what direction I want to take with my cobra. The only goals I have for it are 750+ rwhp and I want it to be an easy 9 second street car. Idk which path would be better for me, the kb or a turbo set up.

I wondered upon this kit from on3performance and have never heard of them before so I'm skeptical since it is a cheaper kit.

Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs

Do you think that this single would be worth the $1900 or should I go with a kb instead. I believe the kb will get me where I want to be. Or do you think I'm best off just saving a few more pennies and going to a complete twin turbo set up.

gregorio

Established Member
That looks shady. If all turbo kits were that cheap my grandma's fusion would be turbod by now.

I think I'd like to have one for the efficiency standpoint but unfortunately the kits are always around 8k

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I didnt think it would. I think the kb can get me where i want to be. Im flexible on the hp numbers. I really just want a SOLID 9 second street car.

9 second cars that are streetable with full interiors are not cheap to build. Most times when you cut cost reliability goes out the window. You also have to look at what it takes as a package and I am not just talking power. I went with a solid and a baseline rear suspension to get my car to hook. I felt there are to many 800rshp cars that can only manage 12s so I wanted to build the entire car to run consistant times.

ITS STOCK

Established Member
sry to hijack the thread.

I am looking at a 2.9L whipple with crusher, or a hellion single 76bb billet wheel.

I cant really decide either. I want the car to run high nines maybe with race gas, or mid tens on pump gas. I am going with a solid, but would like to keep the six-speed.

toomanytoys

Established Member
While I cant vouch for this particular kit, there is no reason for a turbo kit to cost $6000+. Owning 1 of each (centrifugal,positive displacement, turbo) all I can say is that with a properly sized turbo these cars would be monsters. My Buick has a stock v6 and is making 450rwhp and 500rwtq with a te61 turbo at 22psi. I can only imagine what that turbo would do to my 4v.

crazycarlo

Established Member
There are a lot of info on those kits. They have been out for a while. With the upgraded turbo your power goals are very capable.

mach1033

Established Member
In order to run 9's your talking about a lot of money and work involved. Not to mention that you have to be a hell of a driver. What's wrong with a low 11 second street car? You will be wrecking almost anything that you come across on the street and it wont break the bank.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
its gonna cost a little more, but if your set on 9's then its no big deal! we have a local 03 with a 3.4 whipple/6speed running deep 10's/high 9's.. full interior.. im gonna try to run my car deep into the 10's this year.. and im sure i will try to keep going faster, lol.. but if i were to build a street car that can run 9's, i would go Turbo!!

Users who are viewing this thread