Siphon technique

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Anyone ever siphon their tank out? If so, how'd you do it? I'm trying on my tank right now and there is something blocking the hose from going all the way in the tank...

Speedboosted

Established Member
There are bends in the line to prevent siphoning if I'm not mistaken. Ford put them in with the S197 body style?

SilverCoyote

Established Member
I have a long time ago. If I remember correctly I had to switch to smaller tubing and just kept working it around until it made it past the blockage. Not sure if there are actually anti siphon measures in the filler or not these days. I would try the smaller tubing.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I think my siphon comes with a little smaller diameter tubing so I'll give that a shot. I knew I couldn't be the only one who has had issues with this! Lol thanks! I'll let you know how it works.

fullboogie

Established Member
Pull the rear seat and remove the hats. Keep in mind that you have to siphon both sides, as it is a saddle style tank.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Quick thought, can I just pull off the feed line and put the siphon hose on the feed tube of the hat and just turn the key to the on position? Any issues with this?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Tried to cut the bigger hose at a 45* angle and no dice. Tried the smaller hose too without any luck. Finally just disconnected from the hat and siphoned it out that way. I didn't want to open up the hats because of them being a PITA to get the green ring back on by myself. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

nrmustang

Established Member
Thank you for the heads up! Wasn't even thinking about that. Just trying to drain my tank down as far as I can prior to putting the E85 in.

Glad you clarified this. I thought I was reading a "how do I siphon gas out of somebody's mustang" thread. J/K lol

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I use this every time I go to the track or dyno to make sure I'm not mixing 93 with race fuel. It works GREAT!

[youtube_browser]gmr4I9wcXRU[/youtube_browser]

Here it is on my GT500 fuel rail:

Attachments

• Fuel Drain for GT500.JPG
    Fuel Drain for GT500.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
That's pretty neat. Good tool if you need to drain or remove fuel more than once. It seems a little pricey, but probably worth the convenience.

DOHCavanti

Established Member
I have been trying to get a solution for this problem every winter. One year I tried every way possible to get any hose down the fill tube without success, then I pulled the seat and hat (what a PITA). I did try pulling the fuel filter and sucking on the tube with a siphon bulb, but I don't remember that going to well either.

I thought my only solution was to replace the feed line (from under master cylinder to the fuel rails) with AN hose/fittings and the Aeromotive adapter. Then I could just separate the AN fitting and hook a long hose to it into a 5 gallon jug. That would be to just key-on and let the fuel pump go crazy (unable to sense any rail pressure). I have the AN installed and ready for this winter.

Can that Key-on, engine not running be done with this fitting? It seems less dangerous (running engine getting hotter while you are pumping). Or is there something that prevents the fuel pump from pumping that long?

RSAGT500

Established Member
I use a fuel filter with a hose connected to one side and the other side will fit into the feed line to the fuel rail. I have a fuel pump tune from VMP that kicks the pumps on with the key on and drains the tank quick. It worked great for draining the tank to put E85 in.

fullboogie

Established Member
Key on, engine off will only kick the pumps on for a second and that's it. At least that's the way it works on my car. You'd have to keep turning the key on and off a thousand times to drain the tank.

DOHCavanti

Established Member
RSAGT500, that's what I was thinking about. So you had to get that in your tune?

Fullboogie, I know that's how it works with the fuel system ready-to-run, but did you try it with an open end hose? I would think it only shuts the pumps off when the FPS reaches the specified rail pressure. If RSAGT500 had to get it in his tune, then that works for me, I will get that changed.

Let's keep talking about this. This is important for E85 guys, race gas and long-term storage.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Key on, engine off will only kick the pumps on for a second and that's it. At least that's the way it works on my car. You'd have to keep turning the key on and off a thousand times to drain the tank.

^^^This. With the hey on and an open ended hose it only kicks on for about a second. After that you have to turn it off then back on a million times. I just took the feed line off the hat and connected the drain hose to the siphon directly. It worked okay but just took a while to pump it out. For me, I just replaced all the lines so it's pretty easy to pull that off to drain it. If I had a fuel pump tune from VMP it would be WAAAY easier to just hook a hose up to the feed line on the hat out to a fuel jug. Will have to do that next time. Long story short, key on with a normal tune won't push all the fluid out. What you have left by taking it directly out of the hat instead of at the rails is that there will still be all that 91/93 fuel in the lines/rails. I just hooked everything back up when I was done and tried starting the car a few times for a few seconds each. Don't know if it drained the rest out but it's the best I could do at the time. HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread