Size of LTNG. pulley & will it work?

Enforcer03

Established Member
My buddy has his old lightning pulley and is willing to just give it to me.

My question is what size is it, and will it work on my 03 Cobra?

Is it the same as an aftermarket pulley from like Amazon or South Florida?

Thanks,
Jeremy

:shrug:

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Originally posted by Enforcer03
My buddy has his old lightning pulley and is willing to just give it to me.

My question is what size is it, and will it work on my 03 Cobra?

Is it the same as an aftermarket pulley from like Amazon or South Florida?

Thanks,
Jeremy

:shrug:

The size of the Lightning pulley is 2.93. It is good for about a 6# increase in boost. Yes, it will work on your blower.

Enforcer03

Established Member
I imagine that the pulley will require a good chip and tune correct?

I have Amazon CAI, MagnaFlow cat-back & X/cats.

Is this a good pulley to use, or should I go with a smaller one?

Will I require idler pulley's and belt?

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I imagine that the pulley will require a good chip and tune correct?

I have Amazon CAI, MagnaFlow cat-back & X/cats.

Is this a good pulley to use, or should I go with a smaller one?

Will I require idler pulley's and belt?

That is a good pulley size. You will need a custom tuned chip for sure. From what I have read you might be safe without a chip running a 3.2 pulley and up. Anything lower might require a chip.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
That is a good pulley size. You will need a custom tuned chip for sure. From what I have read you might be safe without a chip running a 3.2 pulley and up. Anything lower might require a chip.

So I could run a 3.2 pulley, not get a chip, and pull off the pulley if I have to get warranty work? Is this size worth doing? Stock is around 3.6 or so right? You see where I'm going with this...more power while keeping warranty.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I have been contemplating the same thing. Anytime you change the pulley you should get the car on a dyno to make sure your A/F are at safe levels. I have read in these forums that some people were running the 2.93 without a chip. I think that is dangerous though. Really can't get on the car or it could render some adverse effects. Severe detonation.

I believe after talking to numerous people that the 3.2 could be used without a chip. The factory pcm will adjust to the difference. I have a 3.2 pulley in the trunk of my car now. Just rather not use it in fear of detonation plus I want to keep the warranty intact just incase.

I am just going to either get a custom burned chip and go with the 3.0 upper or wait for the predator. Not sure yet.

Pyro

Established Member
I dont know first hand but I've been told it's 2.93".

bunk22

Established Member
So with a chip the 2.93 pulley and my other mods. I should be pushing about 450rwhp?

See my sig for latest dyno numbers with the 2.93". Those were achieved tuning my air-fuel only with the Afterburner. I've left quite a bit of tq and maybe some hp on the table by not altering my timing like a chip would do but I'm happy where I'm at. I also dynoed on a hot humid 90 degree day so cool weather would probably help out just a bit.

By the way, I ran a 3.2" pulley with the mods in my sig and my air-fuel started at 14:1 at 2000rpm and made its way down to about 11:1 at 6500rpm with no tuning. I felt the mid-range of 12.5:1 was a bit lean so I went with the Afterburner to clean things up a bit. My best was 430/410 with that set-up. Just some example of what you could expect.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by bunk22
See my sig for latest dyno numbers with the 2.93". Those were achieved tuning my air-fuel only with the Afterburner. I've left quite a bit of tq and maybe some hp on the table by not altering my timing like a chip would do but I'm happy where I'm at. I also dynoed on a hot humid 90 degree day so cool weather would probably help out just a bit.

By the way, I ran a 3.2" pulley with the mods in my sig and my air-fuel started at 14:1 at 2000rpm and made its way down to about 11:1 at 6500rpm with no tuning. I felt the mid-range of 12.5:1 was a bit lean so I went with the Afterburner to clean things up a bit. My best was 430/410 with that set-up. Just some example of what you could expect.

Was the Afterburner hard to use? I'm hesitant because I'm not exactly a computer genious nor a bonified mechanic and dont have a laptop.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
The L pulley is 2.93. I'm using it without a chip and I'm using the eFPC-Afterburner to fix the A/F ratio. My best numbers are 450 rwhp SAE and 440 rwtq SAE. I'm sure a chip would bring the torque number up but the HP would stay about the same.

Use a Gatorback 4080470 belt with the 2.93" pulley.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
The L pulley is 2.93. I'm using it without a chip and I'm using the eFPC-Afterburner to fix the A/F ratio. My best numbers are 450 rwhp SAE and 440 rwtq SAE. I'm sure a chip would bring the torque number up but the HP would stay about the same.

Use a Gatorback 4080470 belt with the 2.93" pulley.

If I read your Gatorback belt number correctly, that's one long belt. Do you have an idler pulley(s) also??

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I just had a 4# pulley installed, what's that diameter? The Lightning's 6# for our cars? Any idea of HP I can expect (389 with open air filter only, before Diablosport Chip, 4# upper, and Bassani catback) Any idea if the chip removes the limiter? (Yah, I live in the city; that matters...) Thanks!!

Oh, anyone got a good information source on the chips? "How about the guy who installed it?" That's good, but I'd like to have gotten educated myself, I'll (maybe) ask better questions when I go there for a tune and possible reburn.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
If I read your Gatorback belt number correctly, that's one long belt. Do you have an idler pulley(s) also??

That's a 74" belt. I don't have any idler pulleys.

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Was the Afterburner hard to use? I'm hesitant because I'm not exactly a computer genious nor a bonified mechanic and dont have a laptop.

It's very easy to use. Go to mafterburner.com and look at the example page. Very, very easy. The last dyno run took me four runs to get my air-fuel dialed in. Good thing because it was about 95+ degrees in the garage and nobody felt like spending any amount of time in that sweat box.

Users who are viewing this thread