Sky diviing

Cruzer

11 Second 2V
Established Member
Anyone gone? I was thinking about going this summer. Just want to know what it feels like. There is a place around were I live. I was think about taking the class and doing a single jump.

mellor_21

Established Member
Just want to know what it feels like.

i took my brother for his birthday, he said the only thing in his life that was more intense was when his daughter was born. do it man, you wont regret it!

edit, i found one of the pics! get a video if they offer it lol they're expensive but definitely worth it!

IMG_1959.gif

just imagine falling at 125 mph from 13,000 ft above the ground, idk how high your mountains are out there but we got some big ones.. and as you can see they look tiny lol.
do it man. you'll never forget the feeling you get as you stand in the doorway of the plane about to jump =)

Last edited:

mellor_21

Established Member
you get to go by yourself? no fair lol i gotta go three times tandem before i can go alone

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
i took my brother for his birthday, he said the only thing in his life that was more intense was when his daughter was born. do it man, you wont regret it!

edit, i found one of the pics! get a video if they offer it lol they're expensive but definitely worth it!

IMG_1959.gif

just imagine falling at 125 mph from 13,000 ft above the ground, idk how high your mountains are out there but we got some big ones.. and as you can see they look tiny lol.
do it man. you'll never forget the feeling you get as you stand in the doorway of the plane about to jump =)

Hey I know that same view, Skydive Ogden?

Its cheap to only $220 and a 6-7 hour class then I get to jump by my self. I cant wait to do it.

I HIGHLY doubt you'll be jumping by yourself the first time. Could be different for other places though, I don't know. I thought you have to jump 3 times with someone strapped to you. Then you can go alone, with the instructor falling next to you. My lesson was 5 minutes long.

mellor_21

Established Member
yup skydive ogden haha i still have the pen they gave me =)
i heard there's a pretty badass jump down in bryce canyon for $140

Cruzer

11 Second 2V
Established Member
I didnt call the company up I just read what thier site said. It makes sense if I would have to jump with them a few times. Looks like I will be jumping many times then!!!

Last edited:

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
DO IT! went with 2 good buddies in 05, and I only had a slight interest in it.
totally worth it.
if ya got the skratch, check out tandem HALO..Ho-lee-Shee-it..

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
My cousin jumped by himself the very first time. The only difference between single and tandem is the single has an 6 hour class you have to attend before hand.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Have fun, but never forget: gravity never fails. Not ever, not once, not even a little bit. So check everything twice.

You would never catch me trying it.

Jim Snover

LSUstang05

Established Member
Have fun, but never forget: gravity never fails. Not ever, not once, not even a little bit. So check everything twice.

You would never catch me trying it.

Jim Snover

I remember seeing (I think on SpikeTV) a girl that survived a jump from a plane when her chute failed. Landed face first flat on her stomach. She survived, but she's pretty ****ed up now. Now, saying that, I'd still go dive!

Sapperstang

Established Member
I didnt call the company up I just read what thier site said. It makes sense if I would have to jump with them a few times. Looks like I will be jumping many times then!!!

Generally you don't go solo your first time unless you join the AFF program. If you only plan on ever doing one jump then do a tandem which is the most common.

If you do AFF it is a progression program of jumps. The other method is static line progression. I have never heard of any who just wanted to do one jump to start the AFF program and then drop out after one jump. That's what tandems are for. If someone knows of a place you can do a solo jump just to try it out then show me the website as I have never seen it done that way.

Oh and for the record I made my first skydive in 1998 and was also a paratrooper for 8 years but of course that is a whole different animal.

www.uspa.org

My first jump in the AFF program in 1998 at Air Ranch Skydivers. The main road in the pic is I95.

skydive-1.jpg

Last edited:

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
It's well worth doing. I wouldn't do a solo dive for the first time jumping though. I was also told I would need to make 3 tandem jumps and the class before I could make my first solo jump. Oh and definetly get a video.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Hmm this is really got me thinking about it, that would be fun as hell and i never thought it would be that cheap!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
There was one case in particular that had me thinking for a long time.

The guy jumps, and his chute does not open correctly. It fouls int he lines, and only comes out as a streamer. It makes him start spinning, like a weight on a long string.

The drag from the chute and the spinning effect slow him down a little, he's only falling 100mph or so, not at terminal velocity.

He lands in a corn field. The corn was near ready for harvest, it wasas tall as it would get, and it was really thinck.

The guy did not have a scratch on him. All the energy of his fall had been absorbed by the drag, the spinning, and the knocking over all the stalks of corn.

I saw this on the Discovery channel, maybe ten years ago.

Anyway, it got me thinking about air bags, and on a larger scale, impact barriers for out-of-control landings of aircraft. Instead of a giant pillow, what if you had a bunch of corn-stalk sized tubes that ran crosswise to the driver and passengers. Would that gve a softer impact to the occupant than the giant exploding pillow? But doing the math on it showed there wasn't really anything there to be gained.

And for aircraft, even small light aircraft, I could never figure out how to make it affordable.

Jim Snover

I remember seeing (I think on SpikeTV) a girl that survived a jump from a plane when her chute failed. Landed face first flat on her stomach. She survived, but she's pretty ****ed up now. Now, saying that, I'd still go dive!

Users who are viewing this thread