SL55 vs. 03 Cobra vs. CHP.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
This happened maybe 9 months ago, but i've just now calmed down enough to post it.

I was coming down Newport Coast drive towards the ocean mid afternoon on a weekday and playing a bit with a silver SL55. He ends up behind me at PCH. Lookin in the rear view mirror I see he's a well dressed, older (60's) guy with dark sunglasses.. and he's smiling, probably thinking he's about to skool this rustang-driving guy half his age.

We're getting ready to turn left on one of the most perfect stretchs of PCH- newly paved, 3 lanes each side, at least 2 unused lanes in the middle, nothing on either side and virtually NO traffic. I make sure the TC is off, check the Valentine and wait..

Light goes green (we're the last lane to go; everyone in front of us is long gone). As I straighten out in the center lane I nail it and slide a little- the SL moves into the far right lane (probably thinking he needs room to put the smack down). He stays about 1/2 a car behind; I'm not making much progress in 2nd, less than 1/2 a car, but I start pulling around mid-high 3rd, slam 4th and start making noticible progress on the SL, run 4th to redline and nail 5th. The SL is, maybe 3-4 cars back now but still fighting.

I don't see how fast we were going, but guess 140-145mph. It was about then in mid 5th I see a black crown vic coming towards us going north. And it has a light bar and lots of antennas. I immediantly yank up the E brake and start to downshift, but the cop is already past us by then. We probably passed the cop car at 145 mph or better, both at WOT and we're the only 2 cars within sight. With us at that speed and him about 50-60 in the other direction, that's a 200 mph difference.

I look in the rear view mirror- no brake lights on the cop, but he disappeared fast. I panic, more downshifting, hitting the brakes.. and here comes Mr. SL. Slides up next to me, smiles, gives me the thumbs up, then (i'm not kidding), punchs it and just leaves me. Meanwhile I see Crystal Court, a small high-end strip mall on the left and get in the 3rd entrence, left turn lane behind a delivery truck (came up too fast for the first enterence and someone was already in the center turn lane).

I'm at the light and in complete melt down; looking in the rear view mirror while thinking of a 1000 excuses. The light is still red, but still no cop- maybe I got lucky? I'm thinking "@!$@#* LIGHT, GO GO GO!". It was probably 15 seconds, but it felt like 5 minutes; then I see the crown vic coming up in the center lane- and FAST. He appearently saw me, moves over to the left lane and does a nose dive as he's slowing down.

Now I go completely hysterical :eek: Right about then I see the front of the crown vic suddenly raise up- the cop passes me doing at least 100 mph; the force is enough to shake my car. :bowdown: I don't know what just happened, but the light finally goes green and I swing into the parking lot, finding a shady spot between two large SUV's and wondering when 5 more cop cars are gonna pull up. I head straight for Williams Sonoma, one of those gourmet-gadgety places, and some chick starts selling me on $20 muffen mix. I don't care and don't really hear what she's saying; i'm watching the front of the store waiting for SWAT and news helicopters.

15 to 20 minutes later, I'm leaving the store with $40 in muffen mix, scanning for cops. Coast clear. I ease back onto PCH North and guess what I see- I'm not making this up- a silver SL55 up ahead. I gradually catch up as we're coming up on Corona Del Mar and I can't believe it- IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN' GUY. He's on his cell phone and he looks PISSSSED. I mean really really mad. :cuss:

My guess is that he didn't see the cop; when the cop was coming up behind me he saw the SL far ahead still doing warp 9. I'm a sitting duck, but the SL was a better target, so he decides to go after it instead. My Valentine One never went off, and the SL guy is still driving his car so he obviously didn't get arrested or towed. I'd give one of my nads to see what happened when that cop finally stepped out of his car :coolman: But I can bet I the cop surgically removed the drivers sphincter and fed it back to him in tiny little pieces.

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
i know that exact area, count your blessings man, i wouldnt do it again, especially around there

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
Guessing

I am guessing the reason that he went for the Benz is that his camera turns on when his lights are on.

Kind of tough to beat that in court.

If he were to ticket you with no radar, camera, or be able to state that he was behind you and pace you it would be more difficult for him in court.

Your attorney may have a field day with him explaining how accurately he can judge speed without radar while he is going the other way.

I am knocking the HP! I have all the respect in the world for them and he probably could have really ruined your day!!!

In 1994 I passed one going 125 in a 45 in NC going home at 1 AM. It was the morning after Thanksgiving and there was not 1 car on the road. The cop was sitting off in the trees talking to another officer and they both simply saw a 94 GT flash by them.

When they caught me I had slowed down to 45 MPH.

Officer 1.

"You were really moving! How fast were you going?"

Me = "44 maybe 45 MPH."

Officer 2 (screeching to a hault)

"That was fast! How fast?"

Me = "44 maybe 45 MPH."

They sent me home and nothing happened.

It is much safer to race up to 70 or 80 and slow down.

Last edited:

Camaro99SS

Established Member
I was also thinking the same thing about the e-brake. If it were me, I wouldn't have even bothered slowing down at 145 with a cop going the other way. I would be thinking "next exit, next exit" and taking back roads, not stopping until I got home to the garage and maybe driving the other car for a day or so. I'm not at all one to run, but if the cop is going the other way and there is a median along with moderate traffic and lots of turn offs, I'm taking the next one and not using that road again until I got to my destination. Otherwise, I'd pull over immediately. At least around here, if there is no traffic, good weather, a cop may not do anything but write you a speeding ticket. Some would even let you off depending on the circumstances. But I live in Indiana, not California, so things may be a little different. :)

Jason

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
dude, i know it must have been one of the freakiest experiences of your life but I bet you had an adrenaline rush like no other!

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Ah, a stay of execution. Nice kill.
Pulling the E-brake means no brake lights for the cop to see. But doing 140 something that cop already knows your'e moving.

skinsand

Established Member
Good kill, and you are freakin lucky.

Must have been nice to get home and have a muffin and a cold one haha.

:beer:

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
Great story. Please explain a little more why the hell you yanked the e-brake? Was it to slow down w/o your brake lights going on? Did you lock the rears up?

Machinator

Banned
03SoCalCobra said:
This happened maybe 9 months ago, but i've just now calmed down enough to post it.

I was coming down Newport Coast drive towards the ocean mid afternoon on a weekday and playing a bit with a silver SL55. He ends up behind me at PCH. Lookin in the rear view mirror I see he's a well dressed, older (60's) guy with dark sunglasses.. and he's smiling, probably thinking he's about to skool this rustang-driving guy half his age.

We're getting ready to turn left on one of the most perfect stretchs of PCH- newly paved, 3 lanes each side, at least 2 unused lanes in the middle, nothing on either side and virtually NO traffic. I make sure the TC is off, check the Valentine and wait..

Light goes green (we're the last lane to go; everyone in front of us is long gone). As I straighten out in the center lane I nail it and slide a little- the SL moves into the far right lane (probably thinking he needs room to put the smack down). He stays about 1/2 a car behind; I'm not making much progress in 2nd, less than 1/2 a car, but I start pulling around mid-high 3rd, slam 4th and start making noticible progress on the SL, run 4th to redline and nail 5th. The SL is, maybe 3-4 cars back now but still fighting.

I don't see how fast we were going, but guess 140-145mph. It was about then in mid 5th I see a black crown vic coming towards us going north. And it has a light bar and lots of antennas. I immediantly yank up the E brake and start to downshift, but the cop is already past us by then. We probably passed the cop car at 145 mph or better, both at WOT and we're the only 2 cars within sight. With us at that speed and him about 50-60 in the other direction, that's a 200 mph difference.

I look in the rear view mirror- no brake lights on the cop, but he disappeared fast. I panic, more downshifting, hitting the brakes.. and here comes Mr. SL. Slides up next to me, smiles, gives me the thumbs up, then (i'm not kidding), punchs it and just leaves me. Meanwhile I see Crystal Court, a small high-end strip mall on the left and get in the 3rd entrence, left turn lane behind a delivery truck (came up too fast for the first enterence and someone was already in the center turn lane).

I'm at the light and in complete melt down; looking in the rear view mirror while thinking of a 1000 excuses. The light is still red, but still no cop- maybe I got lucky? I'm thinking "@!$@#* LIGHT, GO GO GO!". It was probably 15 seconds, but it felt like 5 minutes; then I see the crown vic coming up in the center lane- and FAST. He appearently saw me, moves over to the left lane and does a nose dive as he's slowing down.

Now I go completely hysterical :eek: Right about then I see the front of the crown vic suddenly raise up- the cop passes me doing at least 100 mph; the force is enough to shake my car. :bowdown: I don't know what just happened, but the light finally goes green and I swing into the parking lot, finding a shady spot between two large SUV's and wondering when 5 more cop cars are gonna pull up. I head straight for Williams Sonoma, one of those gourmet-gadgety places, and some chick starts selling me on $20 muffen mix. I don't care and don't really hear what she's saying; i'm watching the front of the store waiting for SWAT and news helicopters.

15 to 20 minutes later, I'm leaving the store with $40 in muffen mix, scanning for cops. Coast clear. I ease back onto PCH North and guess what I see- I'm not making this up- a silver SL55 up ahead. I gradually catch up as we're coming up on Corona Del Mar and I can't believe it- IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN' GUY. He's on his cell phone and he looks PISSSSED. I mean really really mad. :cuss:

My guess is that he didn't see the cop; when the cop was coming up behind me he saw the SL far ahead still doing warp 9. I'm a sitting duck, but the SL was a better target, so he decides to go after it instead. My Valentine One never went off, and the SL guy is still driving his car so he obviously didn't get arrested or towed. I'd give one of my nads to see what happened when that cop finally stepped out of his car :coolman: But I can bet I the cop surgically removed the drivers sphincter and fed it back to him in tiny little pieces.

I have a story almost identical to that one, except I was on the I-5. I was so terrified I almost lost my mind as well. Except the cop either didnt see me or didnt care.

Steve Gunn

Established Member
Great story! I know that area too. Lots-o-races on PCH... few places in the U.S. where you'll see more exotics and badass cars. Cops are freakin' EVERYWHERE on the weekends and summer.

Last edited:

kennycoulter

Established Member
"and some chick starts selling me on $20 muffen mix. I don't care and don't really hear what she's saying; i'm watching the front of the store waiting for SWAT and news helicopters.

15 to 20 minutes later, I'm leaving the store with $40 in muffen mix, "
i really literally truly "lol-ed" at this. that is really lucky, and the ebrake thing, im also guessin gwas to show no tail lights.
i had a similar, but not so fast one happen to me. a paddy wagon going the other direction, and im goign about 100-110, middle of the night, great weather, no traffic, and straight road. heading to my girlfriend's house, i saw him hurry and turn around in an apartment complex and had to duck down some back roads....that shit is scary, but makes you want to do it again, just to see if you can outrun the cops. i dont really think its worth it anymore.

*VeNoM*

Banned
Dude that is awesome, what a ****ing rush, hope that I get lucky like you sometime, of course if it was me, I would of never slowed down just kept going like the SL, It makes no sense to me how a cop going 50 in the opposite direction, can turn around and catch up with a car going 145mph, that guy in the SL should have easily gotten away.

Users who are viewing this thread