Sleeper?

vetteterminator

Established Member
Here is the thing, I bought a 10th Ann. Black coupe. And have started to Mod the shit out of it. Whipple, JLT, Bassanni, Tune, SSR GT3's 18x9; 18x9.5's, suspension, cooling, fuel system, tune, and soon trans work. But, this thing is horrificly LOUD and that's not what I want. I want a well behaved street machine that is as quite as, dare I say Ferrari or Lambo's. What do I do and still keep the 650hp range so I can still smoke them? ( I have mid-length headers x-pipe and cat-backs by Bassanni)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you want a quieter car, how about the Ford FR500 catback? It is the quietest overall second to the factory catback I believe. It uses 2.5" stainless steel pipes and also incorporates a rear X-pipe to improve torque and help minimize exhaust drone. The FR500 is nearly as quiet as the stock catback up to about 3500 RPM, but it screams like an F1 racer in the upper rev range.

Here is a comment posted on another forum. "I bought my FR500 catback (the one with the X) in '01 (for my '99) and installed it on my '03 about a day after I got my car . On the stock exhaust manifolds and through the stock mid-pipe it was pretty nice. Very quiet at idle and low rpm, got a little louder at WOT. While it was noticeable louder than stock it was still pretty quiet compared to every other system."

Here's a link with more info. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=4953

vetteterminator

Established Member
Sweet, I have visited your site quite afew times but, didn't realize you were a member of the same site. You have the most complete belt sizing chart I could find on the web and really helped me out.
Thanks for the link but, have you heard of a site on line that I could order it from?

GodStang

Established Member
Sweet, I have visited your site quite afew times but, didn't realize you were a member of the same site. You have the most complete belt sizing chart I could find on the web and really helped me out.
Thanks for the link but, have you heard of a site on line that I could order it from?

I ran the FR500 on my 01 for awhile and it was pretty quiet. I am running Kooks LTs and no cats and Bassani catback now and its pretty damn quiet. People are surprised on how quiet and tame it sounds.

As far as ordering the FR500 I do not think it is sold anymore. I think you have to buy it used, but dont quote me on that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You might be right Josh. I just checked and haven't found any site that is selling the FR500.

The Steeda catback would be my second choice. Quiet with a bite.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
^ I have had both of the exhaust's mentioned.

The FR500 is whisper quiet, but does sound great at WOT. I personally wanted a little more growl so I went with the MRT/Steeda catback and love the sound. Under normal driving it has enough sound to know it is not stock, but not enough to annoy you.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
i have lt's o/r midpipe with a magnaflow catback. just cruising around its whisper quiet. WOT its a whole different ballgame. i got a 2.8 pulley on the car and i cant hear the blower untill about 6k.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Magnaflow is a good one as well. Have it on my GT. Before I had cams and everything, it would be very quiet at idle and cruising but really wake up on WOT. It's one of the better flowing exhausts as well.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Get Ford FR500 dual core mufflers ( I got mine off ebay ) and a set of baffles ( Bassani Type ) and loud noise @ 2500 rpm's or below is quiet and no drone with the baffles.
I got them on @ 600 hp+ and it sounds stock till you floor it.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
so STEEDA is going to quiet it down without giving up performance?
I have the Borla 14858 exhaust which is the same as the Steeda minus the Steeda logo on the tips and the Borla comes with rolled tips.

I had it paired up with a MRT catted-H and switched to the Magnaflow catted-X to quiet it down even further.

It is the quietest I have heard without loss of power.

Users who are viewing this thread