slicks for stock 04 Cobra

srt4tocobra

Established Member
Hey guys I was wondering if buying slicks (haven't picked out a certain size or brand) would benefit a basically stock 04 Cobra? The only things that are done to the car are a SRA swap, full exhaust headers back, accufab SB, UPR upper and lower control arms in the rear, Ford lowering C Springs, and a Spec 3+ clutch. If they would help what size should I go with or should I stick to a good drag radial? Right now I have Nitto DR that blow.... Let me know.

Venimus03

Established Member
Hey guys I was wondering if buying slicks (haven't picked out a certain size or brand) would benefit a basically stock 04 Cobra? The only things that are done to the car are a SRA swap, full exhaust headers back, accufab SB, UPR upper and lower control arms in the rear, Ford lowering C Springs, and a Spec 3+ clutch. If they would help what size should I go with or should I stick to a good drag radial? Right now I have Nitto DR that blow.... Let me know.
Slicks all the way man! I would say they would eliminate any wheel hop you may get but you have a solid. Is it a built rear? Throw a set of 26x11.50 slicks on there and run some 11's w/the stock pulley :beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Slicks all the way man! I would say they would eliminate any wheel hop you may get but you have a solid. Is it a built rear? Throw a set of 26x11.50 slicks on there and run some 11's w/the stock pulley :beer:

Well said...

srt4tocobra

Established Member

It is just a solid out of a 2003 GT, stock besides the control arms. I need to put some 3.73's in it this winter. What slicks do you recommend, M&H, M/Ts, or what? What size rims would I need with the 26x11.5's?

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Night and day difference. Even for a "basically stock" cobra. Just make sure you get skinnies for the front so the car doesn't start dancing on you.

BTW, I believe that is the biggest list of mods I have seen on a "basically stock" cobra.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I have BFG drag radials on my Cobra and I would love to get slicks instead.

PKFIRE

Established Member
Slicks is the reason I made it into the 11's. I only wish I had 26" ones instead of 28" but I end the 1/4 mile in third gear instead of 4th so maybe that helps me. They'll help you and nothing is like dropping the clutch at 4000+RPMS and having traction.

Venimus03

Established Member
It is just a solid out of a 2003 GT, stock besides the control arms. I need to put some 3.73's in it this winter. What slicks do you recommend, M&H, M/Ts, or what? What size rims would I need with the 26x11.5's?
I would say m/t. and an 8'' rim should be wide enough. I run 26x11.50 et streets on my stock 17x9 cobra rims and they work great! While your doing the gears I would recommend a set of 31 spline axles, this way you will be good to go :beer:

lol yeah I shouldn't probably call it stock.... So if I run street tires up from it will handle like crap on the top end?
It's really not anything crazy. I always run my stock 17's with my et streets on the rear and I don't even notice the "sway" anymore. You will get used to it after a couple passes...

03cobrarocks

Established Member
damn a solid axle and not even pullied? I thought I made the lowest power for having a solid on these cars but guess not....

Yea get some slicks and like said above skinnies also! Or get some mickey thompson drag radials! I had 275/50/15s on my setup and ran mid 7s easily

iBiTe03

Established Member
all you need is a 10.5 stiff sidewall tire and those are recommended for a 10" rim. no reason for an 11.5 tire and would NOT work well with an 8" rim

MVD

Established Member
Not where I come from, sorry.

10" is minimum for a 11.5

Venimus03 is right, you want an 8" wheel for 26x11.5's. ET Streets run narrow. They are a full size smaller than an ET Drag of the same size.

In other words, a 28x10.5x15 ET Street is only a 9.5" wide tire, but a 28x10.5x15 ET Drag is actually 10.5" wide.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I run 26 x 11.5 16 ET STreets on a v6 16" wheel ( I think 16x8) and the are a little wobbly on the big end.

I'd say go with a narrower tire if you are going to run an 8" wheel. A good slick doesn't have to be huge to hook anyway, A local guy runs 26x8.5's and cuts 1.13 60's in a built nova. His motto is " hanging em high on 8.5's" lol

61mmstang94

Established Member
I would say m/t. and an 8'' rim should be wide enough. I run 26x11.50 et streets on my stock 17x9 cobra rims and they work great! While your doing the gears I would recommend a set of 31 spline axles, this way you will be good to go :beer:

It's really not anything crazy. I always run my stock 17's with my et streets on the rear and I don't even notice the "sway" anymore. You will get used to it after a couple passes...

That's because you're running drag radials and not a slick like this guy is looking to get. They don't compare.

Not where I come from, sorry.

10" is minimum for a 11.5

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread