Slight coolant smell. 2013 Shelby GT500

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
A what I believe to be a great update. Took the Mustang out Thursday evening for a nice easy drive. Drove about 25 miles or so and when I came back, it didn't seem like I smelled any coolant. MAYBE a slight hint.

Marked the reservoir and the fluid level didn't change at all.

This evening took it out again. Got on it a bit, not a lot but enough to break the tires loose. Got back to the garage and I don't smell any coolant.

So, as another poster said perhaps some had spilled during a coolant change and it's now burned off? Not sure but I'm super happy I didn't smell anything.

Still going to take it to the Ford dealer and have them do a pressure check to be sure. Also have a fog light out, which kind of pisses me off. I'll definitely be calling back the dealer once I get it replaced to have him help out on the cost.
Got great news from the dealer. They did a coolant pressure test and found no issues at all!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It's funny seeing this thread. The last few times I've had mine out I've been getting a slight coolant smell as well. I did some looking and found my heat exchanger has a very small coolant seep, probably from a rock. So lucky me. But if you're still smelling coolant definitely inspect your hear exchanger thoroughly.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
It's funny seeing this thread. The last few times I've had mine out I've been getting a slight coolant smell as well. I did some looking and found my heat exchanger has a very small coolant seep, probably from a rock. So lucky me. But if you're still smelling coolant definitely inspect your hear exchanger thoroughly.
That sucks! I have an extra brand new (Shelby competition heat exchanger) on hand for that very same reason @2011 gtcs Its just a matter of when........not if its gonna happen!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have 2 spare factory coolers, 1 modified with -20 AN fittings but that’s another day.

Steve glad the dealer test passed. Did I miss it or have you tried to verify who tuned the car? Where did you buy it from?
As you’re in Detroit you definitely should make an appointment for a dyno session with Lidio.
He and I have worked on these cars extensively and he’s the best around.
Livernois and Walsh Motorsports also know these cars well.
I’m just south of Detroit in Sylvania.
Good luck that’s a well modified Shelby.
-J

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Thank you.

Yes, I had the dealer do a pressure check and they said it was totally fine.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I have 2 spare factory coolers, 1 modified with -20 AN fittings but that’s another day.

Steve glad the dealer test passed. Did I miss it or have you tried to verify who tuned the car? Where did you buy it from?
As you’re in Detroit you definitely should make an appointment for a dyno session with Lidio.
He and I have worked on these cars extensively and he’s the best around.
Livernois and Walsh Motorsports also know these cars well.
I’m just south of Detroit in Sylvania.
Good luck that’s a well modified Shelby.
-J
Thank you. Yes, I'm very relieved.

I'm not sure who tuned the car. I bought it from a "dealer" in Pittsburgh who sells Mustangs, Vettes, etc. He wasn't sure if the car was tuned and claims he couldn't get the info.

I reached out to Lidio and understandably he didn't want to work on it until it had a clean bill of health but said when it did, he'd be happy to work on it.

I'm picking it up today and I'm going to contact him next and set up an appointment to ensure it's tuned properly/safely.

This is a great forum and I appreciate all the advice!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks! I have an extra brand new (Shelby competition heat exchanger) on hand for that very same reason @2011 gtcs Its just a matter of when........not if its gonna happen!
I have a new one on the way, thankfully shelby has them in stock. I forgot how expensive those things are lol, but my original one was pretty beat up, so it'll be nice having a new one.
Thank you.

Yes, I had the dealer do a pressure check and they said it was totally fine.
Ok, I saw they pressure tested the engine cooling system, I wasn't sure about the intercooler system.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I have a new one on the way, thankfully shelby has them in stock. I forgot how expensive those things are lol, but my original one was pretty beat up, so it'll be nice having a new one.

Ok, I saw they pressure tested the engine cooling system, I wasn't sure about the intercooler system.
Ah okay, so again I'm learning something new.

Should I also have the intercooler system pressure checked? The dealer didn't say anything about it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Ah okay, so again I'm learning something new.

Should I also have the intercooler system pressure checked? The dealer didn't say anything about it.
It might be a good idea, I'm suprised they didn't pressure test it. That's one of the down sides of having open grills like our cars do, the heat exchanger can take a beating from rocks and road debris. Not saying yours is leaking. But maybe keep an eye on the intercooler tank fluid level. The intercooler tank is the one on the driver side.
Screenshot_20230525_111755_Gallery.jpg

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
It might be a good idea, I'm suprised they didn't pressure test it. That's one of the down sides of having open grills like our cars do, the heat exchanger can take a beating from rocks and road debris. Not saying yours is leaking. But maybe keep an eye on the intercooler tank fluid level. The intercooler tank is the one on the driver side.View attachment 1794997
Thank you. I will look at the paperwork as they may have.

See, this is how I learn things. I thought that was an overflow reservoir! I actually marked both with a black sharpie in an inconspicuous place and thankfully the fluid level has not changed.

Thank you again for the information.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
@MustangSteve1965 .....man just leave the dealer alone now.

If the tuner is willing to take the car with you saying it's "good", just get it to Lidio.
If the system is gonna leak or split its guts let it do it on Lidios floor.
At least it will be put back together the right way.

Just my $0.02. Glad your on the road to more P O W E R!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
@MustangSteve1965 .....man just leave the dealer alone now.

If the tuner is willing to take the car with you saying it's "good", just get it to Lidio.
If the system is gonna leak or split its guts let it do it on Lidios floor.
At least it will be put back together the right way.

Just my $0.02. Glad your on the road to more P O W E R!
This ×2

Users who are viewing this thread