Slight coolant smell. 2013 Shelby GT500

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Hey everyone, just bought a 2013 Shelby GT500 with about 26K on the clock. Just got delivered yesterday and took it out this evening and drove it around and got on it some. I noticed when I pulled in the garage a slight, but not strong smell of anti-freeze. Has anyone ever had that? Any help appreciated!

LS WUT

Established Member
a small drip wont always hit the floor, it can burn off on the motor/exhaust. Since you aren't 100% I'd mark both tanks and keep an eye on the levels
This is also very true, I had a small leak that I didn’t catch until pulling the car into my apartment garage. I didn’t notice it at my house. There is so many things on the track pack that it can hit. This is where mine exploded. It’s a plastic piece. A new hose was $339.

Attachments

• IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 74

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
If you do continue to smell coolant Perform Cooling System Pressure Test.

1. Turn the engine off.
  2. Check the engine coolant level. Adjust the coolant level as necessary.
  3. Attach the Pressure Test Kit to the degas bottle nipple and overflow hose. Install a pressure test pump to the quick connect fitting of the test adapter.
imagen2.dll

1. NOTICE: Do not pressurize the cooling system beyond the maximum pressure listed in the specifications table in this section or cooling system components may be damaged.
    NOTE:
    If the plunger of the pressure tester is pressed too fast, an erroneous pressure reading results.
    Slowly press the plunger of the pressure test pump until the pressure gauge reading stops increasing and note the highest pressure reading obtained. If the pressure reading exceeds the maximum cap pressure listed in the specifications table, install a new pressure relief cap.
  2. If the system does not hold pressure, remove the pressure relief cap and wash in clean water to dislodge all of the foreign material from the gasket. Check the sealing surface in the filler neck of the degas bottle for nicks or cuts. Install the pressure relief cap.
  3. Pressurize the engine cooling system as described in Step 4. Observe the gauge reading for approximately 2 minutes. Pressure should not drop during this time. If the pressure drops , inspect for leaks and repair as necessary.
  4. If no leaks are found and the pressure drops, the pressure relief cap may be leaking. Install a new pressure relief cap and retest the system.
  5. If no leaks are found after a new pressure relief cap is installed, and the pressure drops, the leak may be internal to the engine. Inspect the coolant for engine oil and the engine oil for coolant.
  6. Release the system pressure by loosening the pressure relief cap. Check the coolant level and adjust as necessary.

General Specifications

Item​
Specification
Pressure Tests
Complete cooling system maximum pressure138 kPa (20 psi)
Pressure relief cap110 kPa (16 psi)

Last edited:

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
This is also very true, I had a small leak that I didn’t catch until pulling the car into my apartment garage. I didn’t notice it at my house. There is so many things on the track pack that it can hit. This is where mine exploded. It’s a plastic piece. A new hose was $339.
Thank you for the information.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
If you do continue to smell coolant Perform Cooling System Pressure Test.

1. Turn the engine off.
  2. Check the engine coolant level. Adjust the coolant level as necessary.
  3. Attach the Pressure Test Kit to the degas bottle nipple and overflow hose. Install a pressure test pump to the quick connect fitting of the test adapter.
imagen2.dll

1. NOTICE: Do not pressurize the cooling system beyond the maximum pressure listed in the specifications table in this section or cooling system components may be damaged.
    NOTE:
    If the plunger of the pressure tester is pressed too fast, an erroneous pressure reading results.
    Slowly press the plunger of the pressure test pump until the pressure gauge reading stops increasing and note the highest pressure reading obtained. If the pressure reading exceeds the maximum cap pressure listed in the specifications table, install a new pressure relief cap.
  2. If the system does not hold pressure, remove the pressure relief cap and wash in clean water to dislodge all of the foreign material from the gasket. Check the sealing surface in the filler neck of the degas bottle for nicks or cuts. Install the pressure relief cap.
  3. Pressurize the engine cooling system as described in Step 4. Observe the gauge reading for approximately 2 minutes. Pressure should not drop during this time. If the pressure drops , inspect for leaks and repair as necessary.
  4. If no leaks are found and the pressure drops, the pressure relief cap may be leaking. Install a new pressure relief cap and retest the system.
  5. If no leaks are found after a new pressure relief cap is installed, and the pressure drops, the leak may be internal to the engine. Inspect the coolant for engine oil and the engine oil for coolant.
  6. Release the system pressure by loosening the pressure relief cap. Check the coolant level and adjust as necessary.

General Specifications

Item​
Specification
Pressure Tests
Complete cooling system maximum pressure138 kPa (20 psi)
Pressure relief cap110 kPa (16 psi)
Thank you for this. Won't try and do this myself. I'm far from a mechanic.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
With a newly purchased 13/14 without the tune verified, I’d not be beating on it whatsoever until I knew all was kosher.
Good advice and something I should've followed.

I'm brand new to this car. Would I take it to a speed shop to verify the tune? Also, what does that mean? Would that tell me if it's tuned incorrectly?

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Good advice and something I should've followed.

I'm brand new to this car. Would I take it to a speed shop to verify the tune? Also, what does that mean? Would that tell me if it's tuned incorrectly?
I checked the oil and smelled the dipstick and not a hint of anti-freeze smell? I think and hope that's a good thing?

I also marked the overflow tank and I'm going to monitor it and drive it like Granny's grocery getter until I get the tune verified.

Everyone, I appreciate all the help and sorry for all the dumb questions. I'm far from a mechanic!

LS WUT

Established Member
Can you contact the dealership you got it from, or from the previous owner to try and track down any information in regards to this?

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Can you contact the dealership you got it from, or from the previous owner to try and track down any information in regards to this?
Going to try.

Unfortunately, I bought it with no warranty.

I also wonder if previous owner will be hesitant to respond as maybe they knew there are issues.

Thanks!

LS WUT

Established Member
That would be my first step sir. Trying to eliminate any other hands who may have touched it helps. You say it’s bone stock right? Send a photo of the engine bay. We can generally tell if anything’s aftermarket between a majority of us.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
That would be my first step sir. Trying to eliminate any other hands who may have touched it helps. You say it’s bone stock right? Send a photo of the engine bay. We can generally tell if anything’s aftermarket between a majority of us.
It's not bone stock. It had the following when I bought it.

Whipple CAI
Whipple Twin 68MM TB
Metco 2.40" Supercharger Pulley
Metco Auxiliary Idler Kit
ARS Belt Tensioner
MGW Shifter
NGK Spark Plugs

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
It's not bone stock. It had the following when I bought it.

Whipple CAI
Whipple Twin 68MM TB
Metco 2.40" Supercharger Pulley
Metco Auxiliary Idler Kit
ARS Belt Tensioner
MGW Shifter
NGK Spark Plugs

Attachments

• 6282ff39fbb840bca3e6919d8038a75c.jpg
    6282ff39fbb840bca3e6919d8038a75c.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 53
  • a2c662f60496456f8deed43dabc34d68.jpg